Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setup raid10 software through ovh panel (windows)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setup raid10 software through ovh panel (windows)

kalimov622kalimov622 Member
edited December 2016 in Help

Ovh panel allows c:\ to be RAID1 only and I want to setup a raid10 software on my windows 2012 r2 server so I created new partitions but everything seems wrong.

http://prnt.sc/d9c0z7

http://prnt.sc/d9c1vk

http://prnt.sc/d9c1jq

What if I use the Raid1 on 4 disk instead? http://prntscr.com/djhrqf

Shouldn't this be a raid10 if using minimum of 4 disks?

Comments

• Let me follow this :D

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited December 2016

Windows doesn't support installing to anything other than no raid or raid 1 when using Windows software raid.

You can use the motherboard fake raid controller and setup raid 10, but you will need to install from iso in uefi mode due to your disk size.

Which OVH server package did you buy?

• @IHaveADarkPassenger, I did read this on various articles but RAID 10 or 1+0 is a stripe of mirrors after all, right? A set of 2 drives for one mirror (RAID 1) and one more set of 2 to achieve stripe (RAID 0). Additionally found some spanish youtube guide about this but I'm not sure if it's the right approach.

Using the special offer SP-64-D

CPU Intel Xeon E5-1620v2

4 cores /8 threads 3,7GHz / 3,9GHz

RAM 64 GB DDR3

4 x 2 TB

*It only has software raid available, no hardware raid.

How does the fake raid controller works in this case? Thanks.

• I am sure you can find a hacky way to do it, but its not supported by Microsoft at all and will likely lead to issues in the future in the event one of your drives actually fails.

Windows software RAID (The RAID built into Windows itself) only supports installing to a single drive and then once installed you can add a 2nd drive to create a mirror via the disk management utility.

If you want to install Windows to a RAID 10 array you have two real options, 1 - hardware RAID card, 2 - Use the "fake RAID" built into the motherboard.

Motherboard RAID Setup - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-x10sra-f-how-to-get-itno-onboard-raid.4999/

^ That should get you moving.

Either way, you won't be able to install Windows to greater than 2TB drive (RAID 10 would be 4TB) unless you use uefi. The default boot only allows windows to access a max of 2TB, once you install via uefi you can install larger than 2TB.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408

• Yes, I am aware of the 2TB limit.

Still, isn't fake raid worse than software raid1 itself? I mean if the motherboard dies, you're pretty much screwed unless you have the exact same model and can't tell if OVH replaces with the same motherboard model.

• @kalimov622 said:
    Yes, I am aware of the 2TB limit.

Still, isn't fake raid worse than software raid1 itself? I mean if the motherboard dies, you're pretty much screwed unless you have the exact same model and can't tell if OVH replaces with the same motherboard model.

Depends.

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited December 2016

on what?

As far as I read so far fake raid has no real advantage over software raid and is less reliable

Maybe I should go with Rad1 for 2 hdd and Raid1 for the other 2 hdd and follow this article http://www.pcgamer.com/how-set-raid-10-windows-8-and-linux/

Or Raid6 could be a better option?

• ipmi..... activate mode raid.

edited December 2016

@victorchacon88, it doesn't have hardware raid. Only software raid and the fake raid which may not be recoverable unless the same motherboard model is replaced in case it dies and I can't tell if OVH does that.

• may be set up linux (e.g. proxmox) on your preferred raid and run windows within a big kvm guest on that?

Thanked by 1VPN
    edited December 2016

My application runs on windows only (also needs SQL database) so I think this would be a waste of resources really as I doubt windows kvm running on linux os will perform better than installing windows as the main os.

• @kalimov622 - You do realize this isn't the OVH Support Desk right?

We are community members providing you options and ideas to follow-up on, we aren't going to build out your entire solution for you nor make the critical thinking decisions required for you to move forward.

Windows does not support installing to a RAID 10 unless you use the a real raid card or the fake raid on the motherboard - period.

If you are wanting to use Windows software RAID you only have 1 option. You install Windows to a single disk and then configure it via RAID 1 once you have Windows running use the Disk Management.

You can also setup a 2nd RAID 1 array too, if you desire, for your other two drives.

Now, that said, you could use the Proxmox advice and setup RAID 10 with ZFS and then create a VM for your Windows OS...that should work well enough I suppose if you are hell bent on RAID 10 using the hardware you have.

Thanked by 1amstel
    edited December 2016

@IHaveADarkPassenger , I'm pretty sure I only asked about advice from those who are more experienced than me and trying to get the pros and the cons out of the 2 (now 3, thanks to @Falzo) options that you mentioned considering I haven't used raid10 in windows before and I'm bound to software version alone. I haven't asked you or anyone else to build my entire solution nor make critical thinking decision for myself, I am only trying to decide which solution is best, based on advices from people willing to share their own experience supposing I'm not the only person that stumbled accross this scenario. For instance I have no idea how bad or good would windows work under a kvm instead of actually having windows installed ( yes, we all had a kvm at some point but how many had a kvm with 64gb ram alone).
    Last time I checked, this was the help section and just because I mentioned that the server is hosted at ovh, with the intention to offer precise details (which is the company where lots of let members host their servers at), it doesn't turn this into ovh support desk and no one forces you to reply or help me more than you already did which I appreciate a lot. After doing my research, the fake raid has no advantage over a raid1 software and there are even more variables for something to go wrong (and no, I'm not looking at raid as a backup solution, I do my own backups) so in this case the 2 raid1 array that I mentioned or Falzo's suggestion would make more sense.

• you could also use fake-raid from bios to create two stripe-sets (raid0) which you use as disks for the ovh-installer to combine them into a soft-raid1 for windows?

I know thats raid 01 instead of 10 and fault tolerance may be different.
    but it may result in the same performance while not totally relying on the fake-raid functions nor the need for hassling around with windows storage pools and such.

• @Falzo said:
    you could also use fake-raid from bios to create two stripe-sets (raid0) which you use as disks for the ovh-installer to combine them into a soft-raid1 for windows?

but it may result in the same performance while not totally relying on the fake-raid functions nor the need for hassling around with windows storage pools and such.

This would be a pretty poor choice honestly.

You might as well just setup the straight raid 10, would be less of a hassle and likely perform better.

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@Falzo said:
    you could also use fake-raid from bios to create two stripe-sets (raid0) which you use as disks for the ovh-installer to combine them into a soft-raid1 for windows?

This would be a pretty poor choice honestly.

You might as well just setup the straight raid 10, would be less of a hassle and likely perform better.

whether it's good or bad just wanted to point out the possibility ;-)

I doubt performance differs much throughout all options...