Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Block all subnets of a certain country using iptables
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Block all subnets of a certain country using iptables

BitProcessorBitProcessor Member
edited January 2013 in Tutorials

Hi everybody,

We were experiencing extremely high loads on one of our web-servers, generating enormous loads on Apache, eventually resulting in the server running out of memory and just locking up.

Most IP's were coming from a certain country, so in the end, I ended up simply blocking all subnets from that specific country (no interesting information for them on our websites anyway).

I did this by using the following script:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/block-entier-country-using-iptables/

Very effective - a tail -f /var/log/messages is very amusing once the script is active.
And of course, iptables --list -v -n ; gotta love those counters.

At the moment it is running on the webserver itself in test, will probable move it to our firewall at a later stage, if it proves to be effective (so far it seems to be very effective).

Thought I might share this with you guys, I'm probably not the only one experiencing this kind of trouble ;)
(And yeah, I should probably move to something like NGINX etc... but that's not an option right now ;) )

(a thank you goes out to my colleague for finding the above script on the internet)

Comments

• Instead of manually playing about with IPTables rules, you're probably better off using a firewall like CSF. Easier to get around, etc..

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@BitProcessor said: enormous loads on Apache, eventually resulting in the server running out of memory

So rather than properly configuring your web server, you resort to nazism, how sad.

• He is using apache, what do you expect.. :P

@rm_ said: So rather than properly configuring your web server, you resort to nazism, how sad.

• thanks now I can block India
    @Chief should implement this imo

• @Jacob said: Instead of manually playing about with IPTables rules, you're probably better off using a firewall like CSF. Easier to get around, etc..

Exactly! You only need to add the two-letter ISO Country Code in the CC_DENY line of csf.conf and voila! :-)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Jacob said: He is using apache, what do you expect.. :P

Don't be a hater :P

Clinging to my apache! :)

• @Jacob said: He is using apache, what do you expect.. :P

@Jacob - correction - the people using (abusing ? ;) ) that VM are using Apache

@George_Fusioned said: @Jacob said: Instead of manually playing about with IPTables rules, you're probably better off using a firewall like CSF. Easier to get around, etc..

Exactly! You only need to add the two-letter ISO Country Code in the CC_DENY line of csf.conf and voila! :-)

@George_Fusioned & @Jacob - that implies installing CSF - I needed something quick and dirty that does the same

@rm_ said: So rather than properly configuring your web server, you resort to nazism, how sad.

Euhm ? What ? I'd prefer you take that back, instantly !

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I agree with @jacob, CSF is easy to install, and more extensive than doing it manually, better for rapid-fire IP blocking.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@RobertJFClarke said: CSF is easy to install

Agreed. That would be the quick, copy/paste solution. Just about any other effective solution is going to be more work rather than less.

• While you in CSF --

unixsurgeon.com/kb/how-to-prevent-from-ddos.html

Add some additional protection... ;)

• @connercg

there we go again, filter tools against 10gbps+ attack using 1gbit nic, seems legit

• @BronzeByte

It was presented as an additional option -- whether the OP decides implement any thing in the article is their choice, and I didn't create the article / URL name.

I've personally used the connection limit (CT_LIMIT) from the article to address some issues I've had with multiple connection from an IP scraping an image repository.

• @bitprocessor just out of interest - how did you get to be the sort of person that spams forums with the ill-thought-out, poorly executed crap on cybercity.biz ?

• Eek.. you guys are way to harsh... give the guy a break.