Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you do with a 32MB VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you do with a 32MB VPS?

Comments

• @Damian said: I have an AMD E-450 as my main machine

Have not tried an AMD but I have a netbook with a dual core atom, it just sits in the closet cause it's too darn slow! I actually had to uninstall avast antivirus to something lighter as that was just bogging down the netbook too much..

Maybe If I installed linux it could be different but with windows it's just too slow..

• DNS server, VPN, ZNC?

• @earl said: avast antivirus

I use MS security essentials for my netbook. Is slow at the boot, but has a low RAM consumption and generally doesn't abuse the CPU.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@yomero said: I use MS security essentials for my netbook.

ClamWin FTW! :)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Avast! is great and does not slow my computer. Then again this laptop has 8GB of RAM, a Quad Core CPU, and an SSD :P

• This is incredible. You genuinely have to be insane to run anything in production using a 32MB VPS. This is just the lowest end.

Can someone please kindly explain why this is even a thing? Seriously, 128MB VPS are as cheap as it is, so I don't think price is the reason; the only reason I can think of is that these people are trying to be special snowflakes by disabling fucking everything in their config just to be pretentious and show off.

• @gubbyte said: Can someone please kindly explain why this is even a thing?

Start at the beginning of the thread. Some people would rather pay less for less resources, than pay more for resources that they aren't going to use.

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@yomero said: I use MS security essentials for my netbook. Is slow at the boot, but has a low RAM consumption and generally doesn't abuse the CPU.

"MS security essentials" is that the free antivirus from Microsoft? I think that's what I ended up installing and your right it's great on the netbook with win7.. I tried installing this on a XP machine but unfortunately it did not feel as lite as it did on win 7.

Another antivirus I found to be low on resources was Eset Nod32, but it's not free!

• Just Running Shoutcast or Icecast. I thinks it's enough.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Damian said: Start at the beginning of the thread. Some people would rather pay less for less resources, than pay more for resources that they aren't going to use.

Yeah, but we're not talking huge sums of money. $11 from serverdragon for 32MB vs. $15 from buyvm for 128 (as an example). I suppose for some, $4/year (about a penny a day!) makes a difference, depending on where you are in the world, if you're a student, etc.

@gubbyte said: the only reason I can think of is that these people are trying to be special snowflakes by disabling fucking everything in their config just to be pretentious and show off.

I disable most things even if I'm on a 4GB VM because I was always taught that's good practice.

The main reason to have a 32MB VPS these days is the geeky challenge/fun of it. No showing off required.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@shovenose said: Avast! is great and does not slow my computer.

Avast constantly bugged me with warnings, alerts, popups, etc. that were all sales pitches. MSE just sits in the background, quietly doing its thing. I find it much more pleasant.

I have a couple XP boxes still and will probably need to do something once XP is officially decomm'd because Microsoft will probably cut off MSE support for it at that point.

• @raindog308 said: Yeah, but we're not talking huge sums of money. $11 from serverdragon for 32MB vs. $15 from buyvm for 128 (as an example). I suppose for some, $4/year (about a penny a day!) makes a difference, depending on where you are in the world, if you're a student, etc.

It is about the idea.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: ClamWin FTW! :)

does it have a realtime scanner? las time i checked, the one that worked with it was something about a moon, and it was slow as hell

@netomx said: does it have a realtime scanner?

There is a plugin, but I hate realtime file scanners because they use resources. It's got an e-mail scanner and scheduler, what more do you need?

I run ClamAV on our cPanel servers and it scans a 90GB /home/ in about 45 minutes and catches malware/JS injections on HTML so it's nice.

I only use it to scan files I download and run a weekly scan on my network boxes to make sure somebody else didn't download something they shouldn't have.

@gubbyte said: Can someone please kindly explain why this is even a thing?

Getting a dedicated IPv4 for under $1/month is a good deal these days. People buy up a handful of 32MB plans just for dedicated IPs. I honestly have no idea why our 32MB plans sell so well. Somebody requested one last year so I put 10 stock out there for those interested, after 24 hours I added some more stock based on demand and one week we sold hundreds of them. They bring in a profit so I wasn't going to stop selling them, we just removed the stock count.

Keep in mind that location is a big deal for VPSs. You can buy up 20 128MB BuyVM VPSs for $15/year, but at the end of the day you will have 10 VPSs in NV and 10 in NY which is not very geographically diverse. Picking up $12/year VPSs in other locations has it's benefit, especially for DNS or people local to the data center (we get a lot of orders from FL because we peer with local ISPs so a VPN with less than 15ms latency comes in handy).

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I got the idea on irc today to do bitcoin mining ( only to see if it worked ) but Damian said it was against their aup/tos :(

• With my 32 MB Ipxcore VPS I installed VNC and was able to surf the web with no problem but trying to play flash was too much and would crash the browser..

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited January 2013

if no one wants their 32mb ipxcore $6year vps I'll be happy to take it :)

• These 32MB plans from ipxcore are gold as they no longer offer it.

• @gubbyte said: This is incredible. You genuinely have to be insane to run anything in production using a 32MB VPS. This is just the lowest end.

Isn't running something productive on a tiny VPS LEB is (or at least was) all about?

Sure, I can get a 1GB+ VPS for the price of cup of coffee and have most of it sitting idle, or I can get a 32MB for the portion of that price and it will do the job equally. I must be insane.

• @gubbyte said: Seriously, 128MB VPS are as cheap as it is

32 MB cheaper and each penny makes differents for someone selfish as me... :p

@earl said: I actually had to uninstall avast antivirus to something lighter as that was just bogging down the netbook too much..

I only use shadow defender to guard my laptop... :D

• Running Munin against 15 nodes on my little 32MB.

• @herbyscrub said: Running Munin against 15 nodes on my little 32MB.

How is the IO?

• AMD Athlon 64 3200+ in a HP Pavilion ZV6000. Look it up if you don't know what it is and you will know exactly why I run this machine. I upgraded the hard drive and ram that is all. It has a 250 gig hard drive and a gig of ram. It runs Slackware 13.37, Win 7 (Not supposed to be able to), and WinXP. I have had this machine for almost 4 years now and It has been dropped down countless stairs. No problems in the running of it or the performance to date. I finally had to replace the battery last month.

Best $250 bucks I ever spent I think. :)

• Where can I buy?

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @shallownorthdakota said:
    Where can I buy?

Holy f*cking shit. I’ve given you many chances but this does it.

Enjoy your month-long vacation.

• Maybe can used for proxy server...

• 32MB is wayyy too low for a caching proxy server...

Maybe can use as a nginx reverse proxy or SSH port forwarding?

• tgltgl Member

donate it

• i would send it back to march 2012