Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum posting instructions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Forum posting instructions?

LongShotLongShot Member
edited August 2011 in General

Are instructions on posting available? My posts are not showing line breaks. I'd also like to know how to create the green boxes for codes, and to submit comments under previous posts. Thanks!

Thanked by 1tomDiary

Comments

• use two newlines, read up on markdown

• Thanks. For future generations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown

• Or search the forums :)

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6/miniature-markdown-guide/

I think that link works. Permalinks for threads appear to be an issue here currently.

• Actually, the real Markdown way of doing line breaks is two spaces after the line. Doing 2 new lines actually start a new paragraph. For example

This is line 1
    This is line 2
    This is line 3

This is paragraph 2

Adding <br/> at the end of line also works, although that's a bit more awkward.

• although that's a bit more awkward.

That's how we learned how to do it back in Ye Olden Times.

• In the olden times we didn't use XHTML styled <br/> tags with all that "self-closing" non-sense.

• Xeoncross said: In the olden times we didn't use XHTML styled
    tags with all that "self-closing" non-sense.

How did you make it in a square?

• @Xeoncross -- yeah. In the old days when we have SGML before HTML, you could close a tag with just less-than, forward-slash and greater than, i.e.

<div> ... </>

And I am sure some of us here would prefer to use LaTeX for markups and layouts. Get on with time, shall we? :)

• MVSMVS Member

luis123456 said: How did you make it in a square?

You can wrap inline code in backticks.

Here is some `code`

becomes:

Here is some code

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited August 2011

@MVS

backticks

That's a four letter word in some places. yuck Lots of fun explaining on some forums what a backtick is. I get to see lots of ~ marks over the years.