Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean vs Linode vs Vultr - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean vs Linode vs Vultr

Comments

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2016

imgmoney said: @eva2000 I decided to move away from easyengine and decided to give a try with VPSSIM and Centminmod , Installed both. But moved away with VPSSIM , since I don't know how to access your interface after installation. Is there any good guide for newbies ?

centmin.sh menu access like @Junkless listed is outlined at https://centminmod.com/menu.html

Check out the Centmin Mod LEMP Install Guide for full details. After install, check out the next steps in the Getting Started Guide and FAQ

And pop up by the forums where all the juicy stuff is https://community.centminmod.com/ :D

Recommend you check out Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 https://centminmod.com/changelog.html :)

• Junkless said: cd /usr/local/src/centminmod

./centmin.sh

Thanks, This really helps out.

@eva2000 you really need to edit your install guide or next step guide to add the above lines since centmin.sh can be find in /usr/local/src/centminmod

It will help many newbies like me :) or you can change the way of invoking the menu like vpssim do.

Typing CENTMINMOD invoking the menu will do much better.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2016

you can type = centmin to invoke menu after first initial install's exit of SSH session too

will update the guide https://centminmod.com/menu.html and https://centminmod.com/install.html

• Just curious - why aren't you considering a dedi?

Seconding @mik997 (based on the $80/mo) that it makes more sense to shop around and pick up a significantly better dedi for the same price if you're going to be running this pretty much continuously on a monthly basis (unless of course you have some very stringent location/latency requirements in which case again, I'm curious to know how consistent these cloud services are as compared to a consistenty-worse-latency dedi).

Thanks.

Thanked by 1mik997
  • have Do and Vultr for a long time, voting for Do.

• PepeSilviaPepeSilvia Member
    edited November 2016

Never tried Linode. DO is rather slow nowadays for the price. Both Vultr and DO have excellent network and availability.

I'm grandfathered on to a 3.6Ghz CPU at Vultr that they no longer offer

processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 60
    model name      : Virtual CPU e7da7129d3ee
    stepping        : 1
    microcode       : 0x1
    cpu MHz         : 3600.008
    cache size      : 4096 KB
    physical id     : 0
    siblings        : 1
    core id         : 0
    cpu cores       : 1
    apicid          : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 13
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm arat xsaveopt fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid
    bogomips        : 7200.01
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

• Waldo19Waldo19 Member
    edited November 2016

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Just to point. This is not a grey area. It's defined within the National Institute of Standards and Technology, part of the US Department of Commerce. While definitions of words can change over time, the definition outlined by @jarland is currently the official accepted definition. Now you can say you define it differently sure, however issues could come up later during discussions. It's like saying climate change is just an opinion and you disagree with it. There will be people who agree with you, but when most of the scientific community have agreed upon the commonly accepted definition, saying otherwise could potentially be dangerous to those who are misinformed expecting more (and in the end, is absurd).

Many of the research labs I've worked with have accepted that the definition of cloud computing is what it is. Just using a server that's offsite connected through the internet. Now most universities do have their own computing clusters and hosting infrastructure so questions like "should we use AWS/Azure/GCP/DO?" isn't that common, but those situations do come up and while they don't expect their data to disappear one night, they accept that this is a risk.

Redundant data storage, while originally more traditional in earlier platforms, aren't necessarily a requirement to be defined as a cloud.

Note, other people can say "well that's just the US's official definition of the term" and they'll be correct (I haven't checked with any other local government's definitions). However, even in academia, many countries and researchers use the definitions outlined by the United States or Europe to provide the foundation for their own policies and regulations. It doesn't directly impact it, but rather indirectly influence that country's definition.

Use whatever definition you wish, but please be aware that there are standards to definitions. Misinforming readers who may not be well versed in these terminology could be very dangerous and could expose those users to risk they do not want to accept.

Edit: Those who believe "true cloud" as being something with high availability and redundancy, please quit being delusional. As a proper professional, communication is important in this industry and definitions are critical. Please do your research, but realize that most people who believe cloud includes high availability and redundancy don't have proper background in this technology or are mostly affiliated with some obscure entity. There's a reason NIST had to get involved in this matter. Having redundancy and high availability may be a feature involved (including clustering), but they are not de-facto of cloud hosting or computing.

P.S. This isn't an inches measuring contest. Nor is it a contest to begin with. It's a clarification of a definition.

And that's my post on here for the rest of the year.

Im confident your contribution to this thread is appreciated to some but I must be as you put it.... delusional and regardless of how whomever defines cloud it isn't true cloud to me unless it has HA and redundancy. Its simply hosting thats easily scalable.

As you mentioned earlier Cloud Computing in layman terms per the "accepted" definition is "just using a server that's offsite connected through the internet". So companies play on peoples ignorance and as you put it their delusion. Thats just wrong brother. When the average Joe hears the word "Cloud" certain connotations are ingrained and embedded in the majority of us. We think our data is safe and theres some form of redundancy. True, thats the consumers fault for not doing their due diligence but the average person using these services are not scholars or have the expertise and experience you and @jarland may have.

None of the companies advertising Cloud on their websites address the common misconceptions associated with the term. Where is the consumer market education? Why aren't the Cloud Giants attempting to reeducate us, since a lot of folks define Cloud differently. For the life of me how did OVH sell Cloud instances with a single HD in good conscious? They hid behind some definition and even though that may be the law of the land at present... It doesn't make it right, in my book.

Neither here nor there and apples and oranges but just because of sentencing guidelines some people are getting 10 years-life for less than 2 grams of marijuana. The laws and facts say habitual offenders must be sentenced under certain guidelines. Is it right that people are doing 15+ years for two marijuana joints? I would hope you'd say no. However, the facts are the facts. And thats my point.... The fact may very well be that "X" is the accepted definition of Cloud and thats what a lot of companies are running with but when you know for a fact that most people don't travel the same circles, read the same periodicals, work in the same facilities or were educated at the same places wouldn't you feel the need to educate your customers on exactly what you're selling and help reeducate them on popular misconceptions?

Playing on peoples ignorance is just morally wrong in my book... But then again morals are subjective and if we went by morals then anything would be permitted. If we truly cared about the customer, consumer, reader, etc... We'd reeducate them on exactly what a service is and isn't.

Excuse the redundancy(no pun intended) but I respectfully disagree to the true fact of how cloud is defined per you, jarland and the links provided. For those who have accepted the Cloud Definition as proposed in this thread, thats fine. I'll fight for your right to have that stance, although I disagree. Thats what makes most countries great. The freedom of speech.

• The only true cloud hosting

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2016

Well, crap, this became a long post. Prepare your butts. Also I broke my "this is my last post here for 2016" promise but meh, such is life. Disappointing.

Early warning: This is related to definition of cloud discussion that's going on in the side. Feel free to skip if you're not interested.

@Waldo19 said:

You're making assumptions related to the base infrastructure. Again, just because such infrastructure is popular and common does not make the definition so. This is why people usually advertise "Cloud Server!" with "Raid 10" (not that Raid 10 means full redundancy) or "SAN Cluster" or some other form. You're taking the word and applying your assumption and expectations to it as if it was the true common definition of the word. You have to release this belief.

This has nothing to do with being silenced. This has nothing to do with infringing on rights. This has to do with the base definition of the term, of which you have an incorrect understanding and yet claim is the correct definition and is debatable.

I'm not trying to be rude, but making these assumptions related to cloud and dispersing it to other people is an easy and dangerous way to spread misinformation. This isn't a "you and I define cloud differently", this is a "cloud is defined as this" moment.

Redundancy is a very different concept that is commonly present with "Cloud" in certain fields. This is because people recognize "cloud" as an automated approach. Cloud is on-demand provisioning of services without needing human interaction with resource pooling availability. This is defined and outlined in the NIST document. (Source: http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-145.pdf )

Cloud is focused on on-demand resource pooling and scalability with automation. IBM defined it as such in their documentation here: https://www.ibm.com/cloud-computing/learn-more/what-is-a-cloud-server. There is no mentions of redundancy except for the fact that you have data off-site, meaning if your office catches on fire well you have data saved in a location off-site so you're fine. IBM also defines cloud services as being an automated service (again similar to NIST's definition) with on-demand resources and a heavy focus on scalability.

IBM also has an article related to cloud storage here: https://www.ibm.com/cloud-computing/learn-more/what-is-cloud-storage/ . In no way do they state that cloud storage as a redundancy measure, except again protection against on-site disasters. Cloud storage is simply defined as remote storage solutions with scalability.

Interoute, Europe's largest cloud services platform, has an article related to Cloud Hosting here: http://www.interoute.com/what-cloud-hosting (if the hotlinking doesn't work). Notice how they do mention redundancy, but in relation to a computational node going down regarding the resources. No definition is stated regarding data integrity and redundancy. Redundancy here is mostly discussed related to the data being on a NAS setup where the VM data is stored and mounted to the VM running on a computational node in the cluster. NAS itself does not mean data redundancy as it's defined as "Network Attached Storage". You can have raid 0 NFS and it'd still count as NAS.

HowStuffWorks.com even recognizes the difference between redundancy and cloud storage or cloud services in this article here: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cloud-computing/cloud-storage1.htm.

The definition of cloud hasn't actually changed at all. Cloud systems are supposed to be easy and automatic provisioning from a "pool of resources". Now top-tier cloud service providers like AWS and Google usually go with the NAS approach and have computational clusters. Now that would be computational redundancy (one computational node goes down, the network storage would attach to a different computational node and spin the VM back up). But the true final definition is scalability, resource pooling, and "utility" pricing.

I want to say some people misunderstood this entire concept and assumed cloud included data redundancy or full on redundancy because of how "top tier" services like Google does it.

You say it's unethical for companies to play off this misconception. However, many people understand this concept and accept these concepts and risks. I've only met a hand full of individuals who believed cloud included redundancy, hell I used to be one for a while. It's not the provider's job to make sure you understand everything. It's their job to provide you with opportunities and resources you need. Education isn't their job, this is why there are teachers and professors to begin with. It is your job as an individual who wants to be informed to find out these information for yourself, use critical thinking to see if the author has the proper credentials to consider themselves as "cloud experts", and to make an informed decision. The resources are out there. You state it's unethical for companies to profit off of this and yet here @jarland and I (and others, sorry I'm not scrolling back up right now) who are part of this industry trying to educate the public (you) on this misunderstanding. I don't see how this is unethical. If people ask, we try to help them to the best of our abilities. Everyone who is seriously in this industry is all welcoming and helpful. If you want to judge the rest of the industry due to few people's actions, then that's on you.

The nature of the internet suggests anyone can be an "expert", publish articles, and yet be horribly misinformed. While the term "cloud" can be argued is a buzzword for marketing purposes, experts have given it a definition that makes sense and focuses on specific features within it. It's the few "layman" who have misunderstood this definition and made it to include redundancy. Again, be a critical thinker and do your research beforehand. People make mistakes and it's part of life, but continuing to spread misinformation only hurts the industry further. Be part of the solution.

This has taken a huge detour from the original topic of this thread, however I believe it's an important response to make.

Note: I don't know your background so my apologies if I make some assumptions that wasn't true. I don't frequent this forum too often anymore.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

HalfEatenPie said: Just to point. This is not a grey area. It's defined within the National Institute of Standards and Technology, part of the US Department of Commerce.

Oh well then...

Seriously, in a technology field, you're going to turn to the backwards, brain-dead world of government for enlightenment? Who the fuck cares what the government says? Only those in Federal sales.

HalfEatenPie said: There's a reason NIST had to get involved in this matter.

There's no reason the NIST exists except to employ bureaucrats.

Let's go back to the OP instead of this circle jerk over the One True Definition of Cloud Computing.

imgmoney said: Can you please tell me based on the CPU and Benchmark which is good to go with ?

No, unless that's all you care about.

Here are some real differences between DO, Vultr, Linode:

• differences in resource mix - more ram with Linode, more disk with DO than Vultr, etc. At the very low end, I find Vultr's 768 a little nicer than DO's 512. Vultr is strange...768M to start, next jump is 1024M.

• DO/Vultr have a robust API, not sure about Linode
    • vs. other generic providers: the API, add-on block storage, load balancers, etc. Not as many services as AWS but vastly more than Johnny Solus.

• DO allows block storage in three places (NYC, San Francisco, Frankfurt) while Vultr only has one atm (New Jersey)

• DO New York is actually in New Jersey and New Jersey is gross.

• Different mix of locales. Vultr obviously has more but there is not as much overlap as you'd think...e.g., Toronto DO vs. Chicago Vultr, DO is in India while Vultr is in Sydney, etc.

• DO spinup is much faster (seconds), while Vultr can take 2-3 minutes. Vultr says this is because they're running through the installer on the official image...DO is using their template.

I've generally found support on all three to be helpful.

• Waldo19Waldo19 Member
    edited November 2016

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Well, crap, this became a long post. Prepare your butts. Also I broke my "this is my last post here for 2016" promise but meh, such is life.

I doubt this will be your last post of the year. :)

But back on topic..... if I had to choose one it would be Vultr based on my past experiences between DO and Vultr. Never tried Linode.

• @nullnothere said:
    Just curious - why aren't you considering a dedi?

Seconding @mik997 (based on the $80/mo) that it makes more sense to shop around and pick up a significantly better dedi for the same price if you're going to be running this pretty much continuously on a monthly basis.

Many reasons.

Scalability. When using cloud computing, being able to scale up and down based on traffic is a good way of saving money. Suppose you have a traffic surge like, well, cyber monday. Spin up 10 more servers on that day and trash them later.

Also Linode provide a way to scale up and down, as well as migrate disk between datacenter, and is extremely easy.

Redundancy. Being able to load balancing servers and keeping online when one of your server crashes.

Hourly billing. Extremely useful because of above 2 reasons. And such billing on dedi will be much more expensive.

That being said, it all depends on the usage. In some cases, dedi works better, otherwise cloud may make more sense.

PS: this is the most useful derailed thread I've ever seen recently.

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • Meo said: If the network speed and ping is important for you, then try test it?

Vultr respond in 56ms and Linode in 112s

ericls said: Do you have IOPS benchmark?

Nope

• Vultr is also great. As I sad before, I'm a DO fan, but I have services with all three.

My only complain about vultr is that they can't wait until the end of the month like most hourly billing/cloud billing providers. Is kind of a hassle, having to be aware of the charges and to fill the account with new funds.

If they changed that to always be at the end of the month, it would be amazing.

• @msg7086 said:

@nullnothere said:
    Just curious - why aren't you considering a dedi?

[...]

Many reasons.

[Snipped]

I was referring more to a dedi (instead of a cloud) based on the OPs posts questions/comments on other posts as well (see: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/97914/choosing-cloud-vs-dedicated#latest and others where it appears that OP is just looking for a fast hosting option for his specific setup (and none of the other general cloud points that are relevant as you've pointed out).

My question/comment was more along the lines of you're-spending-80-for-cloud-you-can-get-a-solid-dedi-at-the-same-price-with-much-better-faster-specs.

Thanks though for your points.

• What kind of service you will run on the server? For web hosting, Lindoe will be a good choice. For develop based service, DO seems a good option. For me, I only hosted an VPN service with Vultr.

• @nullnothere said:

I was referring more to a dedi (instead of a cloud) based on the OPs posts questions/comments on other posts as well (see: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/97914/choosing-cloud-vs-dedicated#latest and others where it appears that OP is just looking for a fast hosting option for his specific setup (and none of the other general cloud points that are relevant as you've pointed out).

My question/comment was more along the lines of you're-spending-80-for-cloud-you-can-get-a-solid-dedi-at-the-same-price-with-much-better-faster-specs.

Thanks though for your points.

That makes sense. Didn't see the other post. I totally agree that if you are spending 80 for that, dedis are much better options.

• FYI for those who are interested in Linode Tokyo they apparently just opened another Tokyo2 DC.

Maybe @AnthonySmith could offer NAT VPS out of there if the hardware/network gets better than Tokyo1

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

spammy said: Maybe @AnthonySmith could offer NAT VPS out of there if the hardware/network gets better than Tokyo1

Thanks, looks like the prices are literally half of vultr too, I guess LES Japan is migrating to Linode.

Hxxx said: fill the account with new funds.

At least you can with Vultr. DO doesn't accept deposits.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

Hxxx said: fill the account with new funds.

At least you can with Vultr. DO doesn't accept deposits.

We do via PayPal.

jarland said: We do via PayPal.

Oh yeah, my bad. nvm.

• Adding Lightsail to the mix doesn't make choice any simpler.

Also, what about DDoS protection and it's costs?

[Popcorn ready]

• I wonder, why hosting companies do not define "buzzwords" such as "cloud", "RAID-protected", etc in their knowledge bases, to refer only to those definitions?

I have a habit to read 'fine print' and ask provider about tech.details prior to ordering, if in doubt. The majority of customers don't and won't care, until it's too late.

But at least there could be less incidents if people were given more or less strict definitions at once, to avoid possibility of too wide interpretation.

• @Master_Bo, it's done on purpose. Marketing != Legal. Hooray!

Thanked by 1Master_Bo
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Master_Bo said: I wonder, why hosting companies do not define "buzzwords" such as "cloud", "RAID-protected", etc in their knowledge bases, to refer only to those definitions?

I think all cloud providers mean the definition of cloud computing, tbh. Otherwise they state that they offer HA, like OVH does on their cloud. I've also never seen anyone boast RAID where it was less than RAID1, or a less safe equivalent, unless they were intentionally lying to people.

Thanked by 1Master_Bo
  • @jarland said:
    I think all cloud providers mean the definition of cloud computing, tbh. [...]

I assume that, but a link to the document on the same site, with definitions the provider actually uses could really help.

Thanked by 2jar Yura
  • I like Linode but management interface is a bit bad

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@akatsuki said:
    I like Linode but management interface is a bit bad

Nice necro.