Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

getting really old hardware
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

getting really old hardware

skirtTightskirtTight Member
edited January 2013 in General

so im running a ton of experiments, id buy a leb vps but im going to really rape the cpu and i rather own the hardware

so does anyone know where i can find like, old hardware(athlon64s, crap dualcore processors, ide drives, ddr1ram[not a lot])

i'd buy from ebay but im thinking of bulk buying these (no actually just 2) and i dont want to spend 60+ bucks per machine on this crappy thing :>

do dcs generally sell unused hardware if you ask them?

heck even laptops are ok, problem is craiglist is not an option here (ebay = gud)

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2013

Buying really old hardawre is just not effective.

Edit: power-wise.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited January 2013

I know copmpanies are not supposed to just throw old computers in the trash but must give them for e-recycling instead. So they might be willing to sell you their old unused junk for pennies. Or try to call some of the e-recycling companies and ask them if you can buy some trash from them?

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Buying really old hardawre is just not effective.

testing my programming skills, and part of my resume
    not running a server of some sort

• gumtree

• @gubbyte said: gumtree

im in the u.s. :|

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@skirtTight said: im in the u.s. :|

www.ebayclassifieds.com/

you could also try virtualbox

www.virtualbox.org

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Buying really old hardawre is just not effective.

This. I can spend not-much-more money and get an E3 that will cost us less in the long run, than buying L/E/Xxxxx-series xeon processors.

@rds100 said: Or try to call some of the e-recycling companies and ask them if you can buy some trash from them?

When we used to buy used hardware, we bought them from a local recycler in Phoenix (this is when we were in Phoenix, too...) for dirt cheap. ~$40 for an HP DL 380 G4, fully decked out with 16+gb of ram and SAS drives, which at the time, wasn't that bad.

• I can get you some dual quad cores 16gb
    ram 1tb hd msg me for details ill be back in the office in about an hour.

• Back in Vegas at one of the "SwitchNap" facilities, we saw a trailer with a bunch of servers on it outside(looked like trash). We asked the data center security folks if they are considered trash, and they said "go for it".
    Needless to say, I got couple of ancient HP DL somethings, bypassed the defunct raid card, and had a test box for a year or so.

Otherwise...I would say to try and avoid really old hardware -- spend a couple hundred bucks on Ebay for a decent server from a decent seller, and you will most likely enjoy the machine for a couple of years.

• lzplzp Member

Go to your local dump that has an electronics recycling area. Ask them if you can take some of their computers for a school project. Tip the guy(s) a few bucks each.

• I've never seen any trash servers laying around datacenters before... :|

• jhjh Member

@Jacob said: I've never seen any trash servers laying around datacenters before... :|

I've seen loads unfortunately.

On topic, just don't do it. It's not worth it for the hassle you'll get when things crap out.

• Asset recovery businesses can be a good place to get this kind of stuff on the cheap. I've gotten a ton of cheap servers and parts from a local place like this.