Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transfer domain to namecheap for 3.99 on Jan 22nd
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transfer domain to namecheap for 3.99 on Jan 22nd

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited January 2013 in Providers

http://community.namecheap.com/blog/2013/01/14/namecheap-2nd-mydd/

Domain transfers during that 24 hour period for com, net, org, info, and biz domains will be $3.99*. In addition, we will be donating $0.50 for every domain transfer to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Get your auth code ready :)

Comments

• "If we receive more than 10,000 transfers, we'll double our donation to $1 per domain. If we get more than 20,000 transfers, we'll triple the stakes and donate $1.50 per domain."

+1

• BK_BK_ Member

And this is why all my domains are with Namecheap.

• Time to get the rest of my domains away from internetbs I think.

• BK_BK_ Member

The one thing I don't like about them though, and I don't know if this is fixed or not (I think it might be), is their plain text password storing. Before they introduced support pins, the agent would ask for a few characters of your password (for example: "What's the third, fifth, and seventh character?").

• @BK_ said: The one thing I don't like about them though, and I don't know if this is fixed or not (I think it might be), is their plain text password storing. Before they introduced support pins, the agent would ask for a few characters of your password (for example: "What's the third, fifth, and seventh character?").

Interesting, I have never used their phone support, their live chat is pretty good and every time I used it (not that I have used it a lot of times), the response was pretty fast.

• Set up a reminder. :D

• BK_BK_ Member

@zhuqnyi

Yeah their live chat support is definitely good for what it is, can't deny that! Overall they're awesome though.

• @zhuanyi

Man you always find the good deals!! unfortunately I just transfered to internet.bs

• Thanks for this.

• @earl said: Man you always find the good deals!! unfortunately I just transfered to internet.bs

Thanks, but if you want really cheap domain price, CrazyDomains seems to be good:

http://www.crazydomains.com.au/domain-names/#pricing

Their renewal for .com is still 3 bucks and .net is 4 bucks per year.

However, 3 things I don't like about them:

1. No free private whois, and that cost 7 bucks per year
    2. Crappy domain name control panel
    3. Slow support, no live chat support and email support is Monday to Friday, with minimum 5 hours' wait
  • Never heard of CrazyDomains, are they reliable?

@zhuanyi said: No free private whois, and that cost 7 bucks per year

I think for $7.88 gives you private who is in bulk good for 5 domains, if you want to purchase for just one it's 2.88, but it's free first year and also include free ssl for first year.

@zhuanyi said: Crappy domain name control panel

yea the panel is kinda too cluttered but not as bad as godaddy..

Also the thing with inertnet.bs is you can't pay with paypal I have to pay with moneybookers/skrill and they charge you for inactivity which sucks

• @earl said: I think for $7.88 gives you private who is in bulk good for 5 domains, if you want to purchase for just one it's 2.88, but it's free first year and also include free ssl for first year.

Crazydomains doesn't offer free whois / free ssl . And yeah they charge for DNS too.

• @earl said: I think for $7.88 gives you private who is in bulk good for 5 domains, if you want to purchase for just one it's 2.88, but it's free first year and also include free ssl for first year.

Hah, I was referring to CrazyDomains, sorry for the confusion.

@earl said: Never heard of CrazyDomains, are they reliable?

For me it does the basic job, register a domain (eventually, mine took a few days because it was randomly selected for "fraud check" even though I almost never get fraud check with any other domain registrar, so I wouldn't recommend using them if you are registering a very good domain), transfer a domain (again, might take a few days so don't do it at the last minute) and setting up the NS record (I use Cloudflare for DNS)...and for that, I would say things at least works, and they take Paypal too, which I guess is something you'll like.

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

Ahh sorry ,thought you were referring to namecheap.. but yeah CrazyDomains does not sound too trust worthy. I think I will stick interenet.bs

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited January 2013

@earl said: Ahh sorry ,thought you were referring to namecheap..

IMO Namecheap has a much better CP than CrazyDomains, at least you can edit multiple domains at once

Again, the only reason I go to CrazyDomains is because it is cheap, which is good for some domains that I don't need but I don't want to throw them away, but if I need a serious registrar with good services (yet not paying too much), Namecheap is what I would be going too.

• @zhuanyi said: IMO Namecheap has a much better CP than CrazyDomains

Yeah I like namecheap but sometimes I'm just tired of hunting down coupons for the private who is when it comes time to renew..

• @earl said: Yeah I like namecheap but sometimes I'm just tired of hunting down coupons for the private who is when it comes time to renew..

True, they need to have something like what Name.com has, free private whois :)

Oh, and then there is namesilo, free private whois, and cheaper than Name.com or NC most of the time, and there are tonnes of one-time dollar off coupons with them floating around.

• namesilo looks good, maybe I will try them next time..

• I moved from Namecheap to Name for the security, control panel and support.
    Namecheap might be cheap on the short term but I don't really like them for anything serious

• great. i will transfer some of my domains there..

• @BronzeByte said: I moved from Namecheap to Name for the security, control panel and support.

Namecheap might be cheap on the short term but I don't really like them for anything serious

are you implying Namecheap is insecure?

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited January 2013

@gubbyte said: are you implying Namecheap is insecure?

I guess he was referring to this?

@BK_ said: The one thing I don't like about them though, and I don't know if this is fixed or not (I think it might be), is their plain text password storing. Before they introduced support pins, the agent would ask for a few characters of your password (for example: "What's the third, fifth, and seventh character?").

• Is it on already? I have trouble viewing the site.

• "Is it on already? I have trouble viewing the site."

checkout's down so it must be on :P

"Namecheap.com Technical Maintenance

We would like to inform you that Namecheap.com is performing a technical maintenance at the moment. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences this might cause.
    Please contact our support team should you require any assistance. Your patience is highly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Namecheap.com Technical Team
    Estimated Time: 15 minutes"

• Transferred a few myself just now, note that you will need to make sure the domain has not been transferred out of namecheap before, else you won't get the discounted price.