Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cores and performance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cores and performance

Hi guys,
Please redirect me if you know an ongoing discussion which covers this subject.

I want to know what you guys think about the advertisement of "cores". Cores when it comes to VPS sales are all virtual (unless its a dedicated box).

Should I really trust them when they say I get 4 cores? What does that even mean when it comes to a comparison to physical core performance?
What am I really getting?

Trunkspace Hosting is currently advertising competetive pricing to RamNode...but only 2 cores vs 4cores that I Have now. Will I notice a difference?

What do you guys think? What do you know?

\Thanks for your time

Comments

• The only way to be sure is to read the terms of service, and ask the provider.

Whats' your current CPU usage and load look like?

Unless you're already using more than 2 cores, you wont see anything (unless the architecture or cores themselves are better)

Thanked by 1diatribe
  • It depends on which software they use. They can limit cores as they want.
    But you can test it running a benchmark. Install sysbench and run this command "sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run".
    It tests only one thread with this syntax.
    If they say that they host their vps on for example Xeon E3-1245v5, you should get a benchmark result from about 19-22 seconds. But if it's more than that (> 30 sec.) they have limited the cores.

Thanked by 2deadbeef diatribe
  • diatribediatribe Member
    edited November 2016

@dediserve said:
    The only way to be sure is to read the terms of service, and ask the provider.

Whats' your current CPU usage and load look like?

Unless you're already using more than 2 cores, you wont see anything (unless the architecture or cores themselves are better)

Hi thanks for the information!

Well with 4 cores (mpstat shows 8 with 4 having a non-zero value so obviously its showing cores im not allowed to use)...
    Usage is anywhere between 15-129%

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @graphic said:
    It depends on which software they use. They can limit cores as they want.
    But you can test it running a benchmark. Install sysbench and run this command "sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run".
    It tests only one thread with this syntax.
    If they say that they host their vps on for example Xeon E3-1245v5, you should get a benchmark result from about 19-22 seconds. But if it's more than that (> 30 sec.) they have limited the cores.

Oh fantastic, I'll try the benchmark!!

Do you have any recommendation for a budget VPS with the best vCPU allocation (real performance?)

• The best way to figure it out is by asking the provider. You can also test it yourself, but generally asking the host will get you a good response.

Thanked by 1diatribe
  • graphicgraphic Member
    edited November 2016

Which country do you prefer?
    ramnode.com
    They have cheap vps'es and there you have the full performance.
    Using two of the smallest SSD vps. One in NL and the other one in Atlanta. They are running for almost 2 years without any problems.

Thanked by 1diatribe