Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vpn startup.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vpn startup.

bladedshabladedsha Member
edited January 2013 in General

I was looking at running a vpn cheaply for personal reasons, then decided why not make a quick buck and sell it to a few friends and see where it goes from there.

The problem is how much bandwidth am i looking at? I realize it goes both ways so say a 500gigs of bandwidth is really 250gbs on a vpn. Iv talked to a very few small time vpn providers and they say its about 100gigs of bandwidth on 10users a month. I know single people who uses around 1tb a month..

What are the minimum requirements to host a vpn? iv seen in threads that have minimum of like 32/64/under 200mbs of ram

Are there ways to log and see who's using trying to be dumb and launch a DoS from behind the vpn or trying to run a seedbox? basicly detect bandwidth hogs. I don't want to cheaply sell access to the vpn then have some dumbass run a DoS/seedbox and cost me a few hundred in bandwidth i have to pay for.

Which companys let you run paid vpn services on there vps?

If i wanted more then 1 ip, at such a low cost for the lowend package would it be worth just buying a new package?

Comments

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Obviously everything you're looking at depends entirely on whether it's literally for a couple of friends, or being offered to a decent number of people.

I first started doing a few VPN's for friends a couple of years ago on a 256mb box, but I'd suggest increasing that if you're selling more than just a handful.

Not an awful lot of VPS providers are going to be happy with you running actual VPN services that are for more than just personal use. Dedi's wouldn't be a problem though, at least not with most providers.

Feel free to PM me for any specific questions.

• krs360krs360 Member
    edited January 2013

I had asked the same question about men usage and vpns. Quick search should return it :-).
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6414/minimum-requirements-for-openvpn-on-vps#Item_13

The usage will totally depend on the individuals.. and also what you allow them to do with the vpns. I suspect most people would use it to avoid firewalls and other restrictions.. but you will get the abusers.

Additional IPS aren't cheap.. for ip4 anyway.. also the market is fairly saturated in my opinion.

@krs360 said: also the market is fairly saturated in my opinion.

Agreed. I like that @HC_Ro has a niche with Pay As You Go VPN's. Not seen much of that :).

• bladedshabladedsha Member
    edited January 2013

i was looking at this, for the bandwidth, https://www.2host.com/support/cart.php?gid=10&currency=1

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Providers cannot know what you are running until the first abuse report comes.
    I mean at least who uses the VPN, if it is only the owner or some other people.
    If you keep it abuse clean, then nobody will object, if you will get abuse complaints, almost everyone will.
    So, the issue is not how many providers allow this, but how much abuse will generate.
    If enough to get complaints, then dont do it. If you only give it to friends or have restrictive exit policies (i.e. only youtube, hulu, bbc, vimeo, etc) then you will not have problems most of the time, when the abuse complaint comes, the host wont ask if it was your or your friends/customers, will simply turn you off.

@bladedsha said: i was looking at this, for the bandwidth

Might be worth contacting providers or thoroughly checking their TOS/AUP just to be sure on what is and isn't allowed. However, for bandwidth, have a look at FDC, they do some unmetered packages.

• @Maounique said: If you keep it abuse clean, then nobody will object, if you will get abuse complaints, almost everyone will.

So, the issue is not how many providers allow this, but how much abuse will generate.

i cant predict how much abuse will occur i can only hope its none.

• @liamwithers said: Might be worth contacting providers or thoroughly checking their TOS/AUP just to be sure on what is and isn't allowed.

It's not just that - but bandwidth at those prices - would they be any good?

@bladedsha said: i cant predict how much abuse will occur i can only hope its none.

If you sell to strangers, abuse will come, even friends and ppl you know can do it, some unknowingly.
    Regarding BW, you can either do some QoS to give at least some BW to everyone, or do a metered system, if they go over the quota, account is suspended.

• so is the only way to deal with abuse is getting a dedi?

• @bladedsha said: so is the only way to deal with abuse is getting a dedi?

It means at least you can deal with it in time before getting shut off. A VPS might be suspended depending on provider TOS/AUP due to these things.

• how many places sell cheap dedi tho, with super low specs and unlimited bandwidth.

• Well cheap dedicated servers with HIGH Bandwidth (not unlimited) there's always Datashack, Wholesale Internet, VolumeDrive (VolumeDrive has unlimited bandwidth but they do have horrible support).

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

OVH, Server4you, DataShack

OVH/Hetzner in EU.