Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Wizard 2012 Misread, or I have a better proc?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PC Wizard 2012 Misread, or I have a better proc?

eastoncheastonch Member
edited January 2013 in General

Hi there,

Thought to share this with the lovely people here at LET, below is a snapped image from Pc Wizard, I was looking for some USB 3.0 info so I could get the drivers properly for them to work (HP doesnt supply, windows doesnt have native support).

Indicates that I have an I5. but internal specs indicate a i3?

This is the first time i've come accross this and it seems it's much more likely to be a software bug reporting wrong than me actually having a higher end i5.

Any comments? :P

Comments

• Tried other tools (Speccy)?

• That is odd. I would probably say you have an i3 because of the label (name vs. specification), but I could be wrong.

• Wow, that is definitely strange, but I agree with @gubbyte, the proc in the name has the same core count and everything as the proc in the specification so the software may be confused by it and recognizing it as an i5.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2013

CPU-Z

Edit: The "i3" seems to be a typo.

• What does CPU-Z say?

• RophRoph Member
    edited January 2013

^ this, I'd only really trust CPU-Z for completely accurate info. Feel free to laugh at me :P

• Well now there's only one way to find out for sure. Time for some laptop surgery!

• @Roph said: Feel free to laugh at me :P

I have a Celly E3200 for my routing needs n_n
    And sometimes I use it as a normal desktop, so...

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2013

@eastonch said: Still guys..

http://ark.intel.com/compare/64903,65697

Ok, main differences, one has turbo, the other doesn't have it. You can run some bench and see if the turbo is kicking in with CPU-Z

Also, one has AES, and the other doesn't. You can try to run the Aida64 benchmarks for AES and see how good it is.

Something is buggy here =S

• @kernelsanders

Opening my case voids my 1 Yr Warranty, no questions. And since I'm into the first 30 days of that, I don't feel like doing that.

@Yomero What results on Aida64 am I looking for?

• @eastonch said: @Yomero What results on Aida64 am I looking for?

The CPUs with AES instructions have really high results

• Interesting that the AMD FX-8150 scores second place and costs several hundred $$$$ less than the X or K-series i7 processors.

• @Yomero

I'm going to do some in-depth work here, BIOS reports i3 I beleive when I first jumped onto it; and I've never seen it jump any higher than it's rating at 1.8, I'm going to use some Intel detection/ID stuff to have a look at it for me.

• @Damian said: Interesting that the AMD FX-8150 scores second place and costs several hundred $$$$ less than the X or K-series i7 processors.

Indeed, but unless you will do only encryption jobs (lol) then the AMDs can't cope with the blue ones

• @Yomero

I've been interested in the AMD-FX8530

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/AMD+(Piledriver)+FX-8350+4.00GHz+(4.20GHz+Turbo)+Socket+AM3%2B+8-Core+Processor+-+Retail+?productId=52722&source=googleps

I mean, comparable to some of the Desktop I7's as a $:performance ratio, it seems spot on brilliant.

Since i already have this AM3+ board, I was going to upgrade to an I7 after replacing the board with intel, but after seeing the Piledrivers, I'm interested. Is there anything that you can argue back with? I'm after some harsh reviews.

• An i7 of any SB/IB series will definitely out perform that AMD CPU. The FX8000 series really only stands out in video editing and encryption because of the core count.

• @kernelsanders In comparison to my Phenom 965 BE @ 3.8Ghz OC'd (STOCK 3.4).

I think it would be a large improvement, for the price point, (£150/$188) It's going to provide me with some additional speed with pretty much everything, compared to a possibly (£300) upgrade for Intel conversion.

• @eastonch said: I'm interested. Is there anything that you can argue back with?

The i5 3570k will outperform it, and it overclocks nicely. It all depends on what you're going to use the computer for.

• Sure, for the price it's a very good deal.

• @Kairus intended use is General Usage such as word processing, net surfing, bit of Virtual-Box'ing - Alot of multi-tasking through that.

And ofcourse, the odd-game or two, Arma 2 / Wow / Minecraft etc.

There's no Video Editing / Encryption here; but who says there can't be? Just at slower speeds to a rig upgrade that'd set me back much more than this upgrade would be. (~180 after cleaning rig, reapplying some better thermal paste and replacing a rackety fan).

• @eastonch said: Minecraft

Minecraft is not that resource intensive, I've got an old Sempron LE-1200 (integrated Geforce 6150se, 1GB RAM) and it can run Minecraft just fine.

• @eastonch said: Is there anything that you can argue back with? I'm after some harsh reviews.

Nothing

Well, everybody knows that they can't compete with the Intel stuff. But the price performance is great.