Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HP Proliant SE 1102 16GB @dacentec.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HP Proliant SE 1102 16GB @dacentec.com

ReviewLinuxReviewLinux Member
edited January 2013 in General

Hello,

This topic may have been talk about before but I need a bit of advice. This server @dacentec.com is currently 65/month and with adding 4 X 1TB drives RAID 1 + 0 plus HW Raid IP addresses and Dedi IPM it is coming in at 137.00/month

Heres what I want to do. Run a few lower end OpenVZ containers for a few clients of mine plus maybe 10+ with 1 GB RAM Will Will CentOS 6.3 64 Bit and OpenVZ with SolusVM ( Just because I like the interface ) survive well on this setup? It would be a bit of a learning curve but using CentOS 6.3/OpenVZ/SolusVM demo at home doesnt give me a real taste of capabilities plus when browsing around here and wht everyone talks about E3 and E5 which are not in my current business plan.

I only gave this company as an example as I have looked around and really do not see anything that can come close.

You advice is appreciated. Your comments are welcome. Thanks in advance,

Mike

Comments

• Hi,

What processor does it come with?

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Ishaq said: What processor does it come with?

Would be the Dual L5420 I would think.

• 2 X Quad L5420

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited January 2013

@ReviewLinux said: 2 X Quad L5420

Should be able to handle what you need.

• @Ishaq This being an older machine would hopefully have a couple of years in it?

• Dual Xeon L5420 are workhorses. It should be fine (and should last you a while)

• @ReviewLinux said: @Ishaq This being an older machine would hopefully have a couple of years in it?

I doubt the machine would affect anything, as long as the processor is good. And they should repair hardware problems.

• @HalfEatenPie Its too bad they do not stock smaller less expensive sata like 500 GB as I do not need the hdd space.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I still have one node on dual l5420's, does not make any difference on performance comapred to ivy bridge e3.. atleast none of my clients complained and the Load is at the bear minimum.

• @ReviewLinux

Have you tried contacting them for a custom quote?

• @Alex_LiquidHost Are you nodes Hardware RAID controlled with a similiar config as I described?

• They work with you @ReviewLinux. Contact them. I'm quite happy with my Dual L5420 node with them.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@ReviewLinux said: @Alex_LiquidHost Are you nodes Hardware RAID controlled with a similiar config as I described?

4x1TB in hw raid10
    dual l5420
    16 or 24 gigs of RAM
    It was some HP chasis, which I forgot.

• @Ishaq I actually did email them about their less expensive offering the 2X Dual Core XEON 5140 which is only 4 core total but after last night googlin around I decided that I best look at a min of 8 cores and larger hdd. Yes I should email them... Maybe they have them lying around but I guess at the end of the day I am only saving at most 20 bucks... But only having a set customer base I am really just trying to break even... lol

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2013

@Alex_Liquidhost: Mine's 2x 1TB in HW Raid 1
    Dual L5420
    24GB in a Dell Chasis

Edit: @ReviewLinux: Most if not All providers should be willing to work with you.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

@ReviewLinux L5420s are solid, and last a while. I have four HP SE 1102 Servers and they're good, I prefer HP over Dell.

• @Alex_Liquidhost: Mine's 2x 1TB in HW Raid 1
    Dual L5420 24GB in a Dell Chasis

So you can do an OpenVZ Host in RAID 1 with ok performance?

• The biggest throttle there is the Disk I/O. But this is just a personal server (with OpenVZ)

• Waitwaitwait, am I being a complete retard here, not being able to find this on their website (Which I can't even find)

Could somebody do me a favour and send me a link? :D

• Can I switch it up a bit. The L5140 units come with 4 X 80 GB on hardware RAID As I mentioned space is not needed as basically I am doing custom install of Debian with Wordpress on Nginx/Varnish and CT will be no greater than 5 GB If I added more RAM to that system, would the L5140 do well and is it a workhorse.

• @Brightbull said: Waitwaitwait, am I being a complete retard here, not being able to find this on their website (Which I can't even find)

http://billing.dacentec.com

If they run out of stock they get rid of it.

The L5140 should be fine if its just a install of Debian with Wordpress.

• @HalfEatenPie 15 CT of Debian and Wordpress? 15 X 512 MB= 7680 MB with only 8 GB on server?

• It depends on how much traffic it'll receive.

FreeVPS.us is hosted on a cheap VPS (if I remember it correctly a 256mb VPS?) and gets a ton of traffic.

• @HalfEatenPie Low traffic sites which I will allocate only 1 CPU per CT. So do you think the L5140 with only 4 cores and 4 X 80 GB RAID 10 giving me 160 GB's or so would suit my needs. Thanks in advance,

• Yes. Buying a dedicated for this is probably an overkill, but yes it'd be fine.

• @HalfEatenPie I thought about Xen as virtualization method but decided that OpenVZ with only using Host Kernel and myself only wanting Linux guests would be the more efficient way to go. I understand OpenVZ has possibilities of allocating more RAM and More Space to CT which it may or may not have. But my clients will never come close to max and nor will system resources.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

For hosting i recommend ovz too, low overhead and i find it only unstable on many threads (the 8 cores will definitely do good there), the lower space the hdds the faster the raid, the only thing i suggest to change is the number of cores. Put at least 2, preferably 4 since you have so few containers, if one site gets more traffic at a time, some elasticity wont hurt, it will be artificially limited with only one, besides, tomcat and java if you will ever need it works better with 2 cores.

• @Maounique So the 2 X 5140 cpy with only 4 cores total, allocating 4 cores to each container would do best you say... Thats good advice. Do alot of people run the SolusVM on the host machine? ( Master ) I was just wondering being that running it together with OpenVZ on host does open up a few more services. I can do it all by command line and just have ssh on Host Node.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@ReviewLinux said: with only 4 cores total

Actually it is about logical cores. Hyperthreading doubles the number of physical cores so the system will see 8 logical ones and those will be allocated, unless you disable HT somehow (not recommended).

• @Maounique I do not think the l5140 Xeon have Hyperthreading?

http://ark.intel.com/products/27217/Intel-Xeon-Processor-5140-4M-Cache-2_33-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

So I guess max is 4 cores.....