Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS going down for unknown reason related to RAM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS going down for unknown reason related to RAM

jimaekjimaek Member
edited November 2016 in Help

I have 3 VPS servers with a VPS provider. All 3 of them are in different cities.

Each server has 2GB of RAM and 1GB of swap. Centos7 installed.

The problem is that all 3 servers go down multiple times per week and the only way to fix them is to reboot from SolusVM panel.

This is how a crashed server looks like in Solus https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xpt68acvcv48ole/chrome_2016-11-17_11-51-51.png

note the null/null. Why is that?

After rebooting if I check the logs I get this https://gist.githubusercontent.com/jimaek/7d4826beb825d44a5181c28fbe1c383f/raw/7e3c18567233b7e0cce8947c4414063850e40ce4/gistfile1.txt

Lots of errors related to "Cannot allocate memory" and then my reboot that fixes everything.

Support says that its a problem with my software and not their.

1. I have a lot of servers deployed. They all run identical software and config. Only servers with this provider have this problem
  2. Most other servers have 512MB RAM and run just fine without errors

Any ideas what is wrong? If its a problem of the provider what proof can I provide them?

Comments

• what is this ? kvm or openvz ?

• cociucociu Member
    edited November 2016

also you can delete the "madrid-ginernet"

• Sorry forgot to mention that. Its OpenVZ

• i think this is a missconfigured in the node ...

• Sounds like ginernet is overselling really bad.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

Might be the host node running out of memory. Have you already contacted the provider in question with a request to dig into their logs? "Support says that its a problem with my software and not their." sounds a bit like they're just trying to move to problem to your side intead of looking to the cause.
    They should be able to pull more usable information from the logs stored on the OpenVZ host node.

Thanked by 1sin
  • Support:

"we are very sorry, we have analized but we are not able to determine the source of your issue.

Our server nodes have a lot of memory free and there is not any error in our logs."

I considered overselling of RAM an issue as well but they denied it.

• jimaek said: I considered overselling of RAM an issue as well but they denied it.

I've ran into the null memory issue from when the node was oversold on ram and it was all being used.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

"Cannot allocate memory", what else do you think can be the cause, other than the node being oversold and running out of memory? Add to that a provider who's way too busy with their intimate "analizing" process, to admit the problem and instead just lying to you.

The root issue however is that people still use OpenVZ in 2016...

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@jimaek said:
    Our server nodes have a lot of memory free and there is not any error in our logs."
    I considered overselling of RAM an issue as well but they denied it.

They are most likely heavy overselling their nodes as "Foul" already mentioned, but it's to be expected that the host on question won't admit that.
    "is not any error in our logs." pretty much confirms that thay haven't checked their logs. The errors you have should also have shown up in the logs of the OpenVZ host node.

• I asked my ticket to be escalated to their management to see what happens. Thanks for your feedback.

I wonder if they will admit or fix the problem in any way

• How long have they been answering your ticket?

• Took 4 days for first response(I had to remind them). After that they were very fast.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2016

rm_ said: Cannot allocate memory", what else do you think can be the cause, other than the node being oversold and running out of memory?

ulimit?

Anyway there is a lot that the user can do to try to debug the problem.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

Here our RAM oversold

• jmginer said: Here our RAM oversold

Then your support must be incompetent.

The null of null issue is coming from the host node out of memory..

edited November 2016

Not any OOM error in our logs.

[root@bcn1-ovz1 ~]# cat /var/log/messages|grep OOM
    [root@bcn1-ovz1 ~]#

Our internal CTs running in our nodes are fine.

Not any related issue reported from any other customer.

We appreciate if anybody know how to debug and let us to know.

• I have not seen another shit company like Gigernet.

• Arttu_Rantanen said: I have not seen another shit company like Gigernet.

proof ?

• jmginer said: We appreciate if anybody know how to debug and let us to know.

This right here explains that you don't know how to check openvz logs.

Why are you in business?

• Thanked by 1doghouch
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

I ran into this issue before and its not a memory issue. The easy way to fix it is to delete and recreate the vps. It is what it is!

• I guess I will try to recreate them. But after that I have no idea what else to do.

The null/null makes me think its the provider's problem. Plus I run the exact same software on 170 servers with as low as 512MB RAM without problems. Including openvz servers.

Anyway, I will post here if recreating will fix anything.

• Maybe try top or free when you have the error, so you can see your used resources.

• @jmginer said:
    Not any OOM error in our logs.

> [root@bcn1-ovz1 ~]# cat /var/log/messages|grep OOM
    > [root@bcn1-ovz1 ~]#
    > 

Our internal CTs running in our nodes are fine.

Not any related issue reported from any other customer.

We appreciate if anybody know how to debug and let us to know.

Increase his memory for one week and see if server craches again.

• @racksx said:
    Maybe try top or free when you have the error, so you can see your used resources.

I cant connect to the server at all when this happens. So not possible.

• Here is my RAM usage https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13590841/ShareX/2016/11/chrome_2016-11-22_18-35-39.png

I checked all servers and it doesn't go above 50MB. The rest is just cache which linux normally does.

It looks like linux is caching everything it can until it fills a certain amount of RAM after which it crashes completely. It feels like linux thinks there is 2GB of RAM while in reality there is less and that results in all these errors. At least to me.

@WHT said:
    Increase his memory for one week and see if server craches again.

No sense, @jimaek has a VPS with 2 GB RAM and his memory graph is a fixed line in 600MB, his server has enough memory free. No sense to add more memory.

Other customer, in the same node, has a 4 GB RAM VPS and can reach the 100% memory without any reported issue and running hard APPs inside...

We don't find any issue from our side. We have removed swap memory on @jimaek servers, just to give a try, but I don't expect that this solve their issue.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • If anyone cares the problem continues.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8bu6p9ig92wfpgv/chrome_2016-12-19_15-16-40.png

If someone has any ideas on what exactly it may be please let me know.