Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you manage your backups?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you manage your backups?

I'm looking for a solution I can use to backup my servers to one storage VPS efficiently and encrypted.

I'd like them to be daily and retained for 2 weeks - 1 month then deleted as to save space.

How would you do this? Also, how do you personally run your own backup system?

Comments

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

rsync

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited November 2016

There is rdiff-backup, which can do incremental backups over ssh.
    Encrypted storage can be done using encrypted containers (which need to be unmounted after each use or they will be pointless), but if your storage vps is openvz it will not work...

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

Kinda complex. Since our environment uses Vmware, we utilize Veeam to backup to a CloudArray appliance which then replicates offsite.

• I'm using Borg for that. I've set up a daily cron job on each server which in turn connects to the storage server via SSH and creates encrypted daily backups of each server. The default in the quick start is to limit to 7 daily backups, 4 weekly and 6 monthly. But it shouldn't be a problem to change the limit to only 14 or 30 daily. Due to the deduplication nature only the encrypted files which no longer appear in any backup will then be deleted.

• I use duplicity with duply as a "frontend" for that task.
    Sould be able to achieve everything you asked for! :)

• I do it manually and automatic. An encrypted 7zip on my PC from my home server and I upload a copy to onedrive every now and then

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Backups?

Francisco

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:
    Backups?

Francisco

Any kind of RAID is the best backup strategy. I normally go for RAID 0 since it's the fastest.

• @Harambe said:

@Francisco said:
    Backups?

Francisco

Any kind of RAID is the best backup strategy. I normally go for RAID 0 since it's the fastest.

Plz no, I run 0 on my servers lel

• My servers are my backups. They thus act as the most important part of any backup strategy: doing a restore. No amount of fretting over making daily/weekly/monthly backups is going to matter much if you don't have a plan to sift through all that data and get back to a running server.

Although, I do admit, there is some data that does change primarily on the server. Still, I say the proper way to view that is as a modified version of some source repository. How the syncing is done (and backed up in both time and space) depends greatly on the data that changes and how important it is.

• +1 for duplicity, GPG-encrypted incremental backups. I've used a storage VPS, then switched to Amazon S3 and just recently switched to Google Cloud Nearline because it's cheaper. ~$3/month for all of my server backups.

• That looks pretty damn good, gonna take a look at that now!

jaden said: +1 for duplicity, GPG-encrypted incremental backups.

Bochi said: I use duplicity with duply as a "frontend" for that task.

Gonna take a look at Duplicity, any idea how hard it is to setup and deploy on lots of servers?

Harambe said: @Francisco said: Backups?

Francisco

Raid 0 is best backup EU

• I usually use BackupPC. It's easy to use.

• The best way to do this if you really care about it being encrypted is to use duplicity. The easiest way to use duplicity is backupninja. It's a great little tool that helps you create a script and automates it for you. I use it for https://xmpp.is/ to take daily backups GPG encrypt them and store it on my remote backup VPS.

More info on backupninja here: https://0xacab.org/riseuplabs/backupninja

It's also readily available on Debian: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=backupninja

• I create cpanel backup script that backup all accounts and files to storage vps from reseller account

• I tried CentOS 6&7 and Debian 8, keep getting errors and timeouts.

Gonna check BackupNinja that @Lunar suggested.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited November 2016

@Francisco said:
    Backups?

Francisco

topkek

I'm no provider, just host a few dedis/vps for personal projects. For ex. I have a cronjob once a day it tars teamspeak/apache/mysql to one file and pushs it to my university cloud via tftp & cleans up all backups there older than two days.
    It's a very simple set-up but works well so far ;)