Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$Free Vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$Free Vps

luis123456luis123456 Member
edited August 2011 in General

I think that every VPS-related forum should have this thread: Reason: There is a thresold under which I consider resources should be free (with stock control OFC)

The res:

256 mb RAM (optional: 512 MB Burst)

10 GB space

100 GB Bandwidth

500 MHZ CPU

What do you think?

Comments

• Did you forget to say who this provider is? Or am I missing the point?

• I don't say a provider for that reason. It is generic.

• GaryGary Member

Nothing is free when things are finite. IPV4 addresses are limited. CPU cycles are limited. HDD space is limited. BW is limited.

I don't know of any VPS provider who's made a success of giving away VMs for free.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited August 2011

Well, depending on your local tax regime, you can deduct that as income-related expenses or tax allowable expenses, thus reducing your overall payable tax amount.

• ztecztec Member
    edited August 2011

True, but it would still make more sense to me if you did that as shared hosting, free VPS' seem to me as it would attract a lot more hackers.

• Of course. I didn't want to raise the security question. I just wanted to say that even if it is free it can make sense to a company in some way. Thus, pointing to the economical aspect.

• luis123456 said: What do you think?

I think you should stay at "that place" if you want a free VPS. There's a reason free VPS providers are in the single digits...

• @Zetta: Cause people suck up to them so that they can try to maintain and keep their free services?

• I mean this with IPV6 and the host being so secure lol

• @luis -- Let me get this straight... Are you trying to state that if a provider is going to give away a free VPS then this should be the minimum? If not I apologize however, if this is the case it never ceases to amaze me just how (what word am I looking for here?) some people are.

It's beyond cheap. Cheap is free but then asking that "free" item to be a certain spec?

Pay for it like everyone else does so the provider can keep the lights on for another month. ;)

• Brandon_eNetSouth said: if this is the case it never ceases to amaze me just how (what word am I looking for here?) some people are.

+1 ¬_¬

• Brandon_eNetSouth said: Let me get this straight... Are you trying to state that if a provider is going to give away a free VPS then this should be the minimum? If not I apologize however, if this is the case it never ceases to amaze me just how (what word am I looking for here?) some people are.

I think the word you're looking for is freeloader.
    I guess some people think that everything is free and on a nice convenient torrent to download too. ...Just...just stick to shared hosting, please...

• skagerrak said: you can deduct that as income-related expenses or tax allowable expenses, thus reducing your overall payable tax amount.

You can reduce your tax liability by NOT making that much money. Hmmm why didn't my accountant telling me that :) But yeah I understand what you mean.

luis123456 said: There is a thresold under which I consider resources should be free (with stock control OFC)

Emphasis mine, as these are clearly your opinion only. Or are these Free* with string attached? Quite a few providers are willing to give me VPS for "free", although I have never considered them truly free.

• luis123456luis123456 Member
    edited August 2011

I gotta say this to set this straight - this isn't a request, just a thought. I didn't said I wanted one in the last month either.

Brandon_eNetSouth said: @luis -- Let me get this straight... Are you trying to state that if a provider is going to give away a free VPS then this should be the minimum? If not I apologize however, if this is the case it never ceases to amaze me just how (what word am I looking for here?) some people are.

It's beyond cheap. Cheap is free but then asking that "free" item to be a certain spec?

Pay for it like everyone else does so the provider can keep the lights on for another month. ;)

That's a bare bones CPU/RAM/DS/BW ratio. Anything lower or higher is welcome.

LowEndAdmin said: Emphasis mine, as these are clearly your opinion only. Or are these Free* with string attached? Quite a few providers are willing to give me VPS for "free", although I have never considered them truly free.

This is vanilla discussion only, even with strings attached. I just thought of writing this, and even the specs are lower of what MyCpanel offers for free.

• luis123456 said: This is vanilla discussion only, even with strings attached. I just thought of writing this, and even the specs are lower of what MyCpanel offers for free.

That's the point, only THEY do that. Come back when you can tell me another that does, because they're getting bad rep on the other thread, and if a competitor actually exists, there might be a problem between them. =)

• Zetta said: That's the point, only THEY do that. Come back when you can tell me another that does, because they're getting bad rep on the other thread, and if a competitor actually exists, there might be a problem between them. =)

I would love for them to have a competitor.They can improve service that way.

• ztecztec Member

Seriously, who trusts a provider that hands out free VPS'? That just keeps amazing me, why would you even want it for free...

Thanked by 1Boltersdriveer
  • luis123456 said: I would love for them to have a competitor.They can improve service that way.

Me too, I would hope THEY won't be so quick to cancel accounts every hour.

• Wish someone would give me a free VPS. :)

I'm really iffy on a service like this. I know what it costs me to roll out a box and, even with upgrades, it's hard to meet that bottom dollar figure. Plus seeing so many of those business so under in the past....