Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want in a VPS control panel? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you want in a VPS control panel?

Comments

• I'm sure joepie isn't the only person working on a VPS panel replacement. They're probably just keeping quiet about it because they're not looking for donations, since its probably going to be a paid replacement for SolusVM.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited January 2013

@Zen said: Probably at least 2-3.

Make that 4. Doing something different and more than just a panel though.

• @NickM said: I'm sure joepie isn't the only person working on a VPS panel replacement. They're probably just keeping quiet about it because they're not looking for donations, since its probably going to be a paid replacement for SolusVM.

The difference is that I see 2823492983 people making posts or comments that they're making a Solus replacement, yet, I haven't seen any results from them. I'm willing to give a monthly subscription fee to whoever wins.

• @Zen said: Perhaps some of us don't want to be 'SolusVM replacements'.

Regardless of how they want to be grouped, i'm still not seeing any actual product :P Feel free to prove me wrong, though; i'm in the market for such a thing.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Damian: monthly budget?

• @shovenose said: monthly budget?

It depends. If it's closed source and I can't contact the developer to add specific features, then $not-more-than-Solus-per-month

If it's closed source and I CAN contact the developer to add specific features, and get results that they're actually add, then the budget is $more per month.

@Damian
    hmmm... $15/month for unlimited slaves and one master?
    Closed source.

• @shovenose said: hmmm... $15/month for unlimited slaves and one master?

That's a reasonable price, depending on the product.

True :)
    If it looks nice and works well...

• @Damian said: If it's closed source and I CAN contact the developer to add specific features, and get results that they're actually add, then the budget is $more per month.

That's good to know ;)

• Proxmox may be worth looking at, Its free, supports KVM and OpenVZ, has a tun of good features.

• Solusvm is nice, but i lose some required features like backup, migration and so on. I waiting of onapp that they implement iso mounting features. Then they have all i needed.

• @NicT said: Proxmox may be worth looking at, Its free, supports KVM and OpenVZ, has a tun of good features.

Maybe as a customer or individual, not as a service provider. Its not really intended for that purpose.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: from the providers for the providers.

The best thing @GetKVM_Ash have said. Not like He doesn't say good things lol. Good guy with good ideas.

• @Damian said: That's a reasonable price, depending on the product.

If you did a VPS CP, I'd personally suggest:
    One Master($15)
    Unlimited Slaves(free)

• @curtisg said: If you did a VPS CP, I'd personally suggest:

One Master($15)
    Unlimited Slaves(free)

That would be unsustainable. Just the support would cost more. Please.

• @concerto49 said: That would be unsustainable. Just the support would cost more. Please.

Why do slaves cost support money?

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited January 2013

@Corey. I was referring to $15/month per license. More slaves potentially means more support too but.

• @concerto49 said: @Corey. I was referring to $15/month per license. More slaves potentially means more support too but.

The whole 3 years we were with solus I think we opened maybe 5 tickets.

• Development, support and all associative expenditures cost real money. They have to put food on the table too, and only $15 is very unlikely to cut it.

$10 base and $10 per slave is a very nice strategy. If you're too cheap for that, you probably need to re-evaluate your own business.

• @Wintereise said: Development, support and all associative expenditures cost real money. They have to put food on the table too, and only $15 is very unlikely to cut it.

$10 base and $10 per slave is a very nice strategy. If you're too cheap for that, you probably need to re-evaluate your own business.

'If you're too cheap for that'....

I don't think anyone here said they were too cheap for anything we are merely discussing the price. If $15 was unlikely to cut it, I wonder how WHMCS does it? Are you saying that WHMCS is not nearly as advanced of a software as solusvm?

• jhjh Member

@Corey said: I wonder how WHMCS does it? Are you saying that WHMCS is not nearly as advanced of a software as solusvm?

I think there's probably a bigger market for billing software than there is for VPS management software.

$15 is fine if it's not your primary source of income.

• @jhadley said: I think there's probably a bigger market for billing software than there is for VPS management software.

WHMCS is purely for hosting. But I agree whmcs can be used for anything in the hosting market.

• When it has good features and nice support, up to 50€ per Node should be ok.

• I'm fine with solusvm pricing, obviously everyone likes "free" or less expensive software. But I've had a couple of support tickets over 14/15 Months and they have always give a pretty fast resolution time.

One Master($15)
    Unlimited Slaves(free)

Don't think this is going to happen for a commercial product. I could understand master free and slaves paid for

• @ShardHost said: Don't think this is going to happen for a commercial product. I could understand master free and slaves paid for

Yea - if the product is better than solsuvm - charge more ;)

One Master($15)
    Unlimited Slaves(free)

This would not be a good idea.

@jhadley said: think there's probably a bigger market for billing software than there is for VPS management software.

Perhaps (i'm sure you've done waaay more research on this than I have), however, WHMCS fills 100% of our needs at this time, while Solus does not.... there are more general hosting companies than VPS companies, though,

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

I don't see any major flaws, or features missing in SolusVM at the momment, they're more than acceptable for us.

I've seen the rumours of some bugs recently, but no solid evidence that they exist.

@Damian said: while Solus does not