Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider that allows public proxy hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider that allows public proxy hosting

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited January 2013 in General

I'm looking for a provider that allows public proxy hosting
At college YouTube is blocked, the only way to access it is using a proxy
I know that there are publix proxy's, but they are usually slow...

When i saw the 1 pound .com deal from crazydomains i thought, lets create a proxy just for my school to access youtube (almost everyone youtubeing at college :P)
The only thing i need now is a VPS on which i can host the proxy, So does anyone know a host who allows this?

Thanks

Comments

• You're gonna need a strong internet connection for that ;)

• @Bogdacutuu said: You're gonna need a strong internet connection for that ;)

I know haha :) but i can tweak this proxy a bit to not allow HD videos from YouTube

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

If it's just for YouTube and nothing abusive, then I would imagine not too many providers would have an issue with that, but you should be sure to check with them first.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited January 2013

Why not just make a VPN? Many schools say that proxies are not allowed, yet have nothing that says VPNs are not allowed. But you would need a lot of IPs for a public VPN...

• The thing is, you need to make it only allow YouTube to be proxied, otherwise it can be easily abused (even if it's only YouTube they can spam comments). And of course, some people aren't gonna like it that way (a lot of people just get a music video running in the background then do something else).

• @joodle what location?

• @mnpeep said: Why not just make a VPN

We can't install network adapters (wich is needed by a VPN) at school computers...

@Jacob said: what location?

Doesn't really matter, as long as it has atleast a 30mbit connection

• Use SSH tunneling, private proxy, so should work everywhere.

Educating your friends how SSH works might be another thing though.

Also, if you're meaning to publicize this, just be aware that it probably won't take for administration to ban your public proxy IP if it somehow gets out.

• @Wintereise said: Use SSH tunneling

Can't use SSH at college computers..., they've blocked almost everything

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited January 2013

@Wintereise said: Also, if you're meaning to publicize this, just be aware that it probably won't take for administration to ban your public proxy IP if it somehow gets out.

If it there's even a small chance for the admins to find out, I can guarantee that it will happen :)

You'll have to educate your friends about proxies anyway.

• @Bogdacutuu said: I can guarantee that it will happen

Well the strange thing is, they don't block proxy's and they also wont (I asked this my teacher at the beginning of the year... and he said proxy's are allowed to be used...)

• @joodle said: Can't use SSH at college computers..., they've blocked almost everything

How so? You edit the ssh config so your ssh service is listening on port 80 or 443 and you roll :).. putty doesnt need elevated privileges on the client machine so its fine also..
    you can of course create a pre-packed version of puttytray for example. keybased ssh login and you only tell the passphrase to those who you would like to share it :)

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited January 2013

@fixidixi said: only tell the passphrase to those who you would like to share it :)
    @joodle said: lets create a proxy just for my school to access youtube (almost everyone youtubeing at college :P)

I think he wants to make it public for his college

• @fixidixi said: You edit the ssh config so your ssh service is listening on port 80 or 443 and you roll

Already tried that... they blocked SSH itself for some reason

@Bogdacutuu said: I think he wants to make it public for his college

Yep!

• @Bogdacutuu:
    then dont even add passphrase to the key..
    you can add a portable firefox configured to use the tunnel set up so ppl in the collage only need to download unpack and use (just create a cmd file to start putty and firefox maybe a notepad explaining that they need to hit the OK button in putty before they want to browse :) )

• BK_BK_ Member

Fire me a PM, I've got a spare box laying around that ill give you a good deal on :)

• fixidixifixidixi Member
    edited January 2013

@joodle:
    what OS's are we talking about? also what do you mean by 'blocked ssh itself'?

• @fixidixi said: what OS's are we talking about?

most likely linux, windows would be a waste

• @fixidixi said: what OS's are we talking about

Windows 7 lol

• @joodle said: Windows 7 lol

good luck getting that licensed on a VPS

• @Bogdacutuu said: good luck getting that licensed on a VPS

Oh you mean wich OS on the VPS?

Linux ofcourse lol

• @Bogdacutuu
    I was about to ask about the client machine :)

• @joodle:
    what did happen when you've been trying to connect to a machine? a debug log perhaps?

• Anyway, back on topic, need a host for this :)

• @fixidixi said: what did happen when you've been trying to connect to a machine

Nope, it just wont connect

• Could you post a debug log?

• @fixidixi said: Could you post a debug log?

Don't got them haha, we can only access our own "Network Drive" at college, that's it
    And i'm home at the moment

• hmm we have our own college vpn here :) so we can access anything at home we need

• @fixidixi said: hmm we have our own college vpn here :) so we can access anything at home we need

We are getting that soon here haha

• @joodle said: We are getting that soon here haha

You mean Soon ™?