Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Q3 2016 Top Provider Poll Results - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Q3 2016 Top Provider Poll Results

2»

Comments

• kaflokaflo Member
    edited November 2016

oh no @desperand would be furious.

Glad that ImpactVPS made it to the new provider list.

Thanked by 1Awmusic12635
  • Prize claimed. Thank you @exception0x876

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:

AnthonySmith said: just imagine how many man hours would be saved and how much participation would increase by spending a few hours automating this :)

For reals. It'd probably be easy for a python developer, someone good at parsing data from pages. I'm just doing bash commands against a list of files anyway.

That or perhaps just a real poll system, if I could ever find one I'd trust with that.

I meant an actual poll system custom made for LET.

• Congrats to all! Also very sad I didn't vote, didn't know we have prizes :/

Oh well, next quarter :p

• @Lee said:
    No surprises perhaps, however it does demonstrate that even after the coupons are gone providers such as BuyVM and RamNode still remain at the top, quality over most other items.

Of course many are likely still running old discounted packages but even still it shows people have stuck with them and that is great.

Interesting to see Prometeus fall away. Mao would say it's the lack of coupons however the top 2 providers debunk that as they don't offer coupons at all or very infrequently. RamNode have their SSD10 on site as a usual feature though.

Overall Prometeus do appear to be falling out of favour with the community, mostly from what I have seen due to issues with IWStack. Still a great provider though.

HostUS have a well deserved placing given the general reviews and feedback.

I still think these polls are really useful.

@Jarland, it would be good for transparency to see the full list of counted votes, also helps to see who was nearly there in the top 5.

Decline in prometeus interest could be because of less stock available and newcomers cant try them?

• LeeLee Veteran

jcaleb said: Decline in prometeus interest could be because of less stock available and newcomers cant try them?

This poll is about LET member views on providers they are using, the fact they are slowly dropping down the rankings is a demonstration that members are not rating them as they did. That is not about stock or newcomers.

• of course it does matter. if you donit grow your userbase, your popularity will decline. i think prometeus is pushing their iwstack, but hit a problem a while back.

• jcaleb said

Lee said: Overall Prometeus do appear to be falling out of favour with the community, mostly from what I have seen due to issues with IWStack. Still a great provider though.

Decline in prometeus interest could be because of less stock available and newcomers cant try them?

In my case I wanted to actually migrate an important site to them, but they rejected my sign-up due to my residence address being different from my billing address. I understand that such a situation needs to be verified to avoid fraud, but they wouldn't even allow me to send them proof, and I offered to send them everything. Flat out no, and rude responses to boot. That was enough for me.

Thanked by 2bersy jcaleb
  • Usually, the top winners gives some promos by tradition

• @jcaleb said:
    Usually, the top winners gives some promos by tradition

Usually, BuyVM don't do promos.

• @Nekki said:

@jcaleb said:
    Usually, the top winners gives some promos by tradition

Usually, BuyVM don't do promos.

Getting the slices in Lux would be enough for me :D pls @Francisco

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Nekki said: Usually, BuyVM don't do promos.

Well yes, but the others in top 10 might

• @jcaleb said:

Nekki said: Usually, BuyVM don't do promos.

Well yes, but the others in top 10 might

But they haven't.

CHECKMATE

Thanked by 1lontong
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Lee said:
    Overall Prometeus do appear to be falling out of favour with the community, mostly from what I have seen due to issues with IWStack. Still a great provider though.

I doubt that. IWStack has issues as most clouds out there, still we have overall similar uptimes with the big guys such as Azure, especially the new locations in NL and RO which never had a downtime iirc, however, the old KVM initial install has still some legacy issues. We couldnt phase it out completely as it has hundreds of instances from the early adopters and we cant just tell them to move out which means making a template, downloading, uploading, getting a new IP, etc. If they can cope with the instability, then that is fine, they are there for 3 years+, who are we to judge.
    The Xen install had 0 unplanned downtime (except the DC move which lasted a couple of hours more than planned for Xen) same most of the SSD nodes from DC2 were never down except the move and a powercut we had long ago.
    There are punctual problems, at times the capacity on SSD nodes is exceeded as people scale from 1.5 to 12 GB and they wonder why it doesn't work immediately, the node may be full, also for instances which were down due to non-payment and then have no place to run as it was filled and local storage means the instance cannot start some other place, etc. Those nodes were not put there for such things, they had only one mission, to provide fast storage for some specialized applications which need a lot of IO. They lack the fail-over capabilities, lack the virtual router capabilities, if you really need a full cloud system with all features, then the SAN enabled KVM or Xen is the way. We never aimed to be the next Vultr or DO, there are plenty of providers with that kind of "cloud", we wanted to offer the real mccoy for expert people which need the features, otherwise, ssd VPSes we have cheaper with solusvm.

Truth being told, we are scared to advertise here or make offers, the reasons are pretty well known.
    Unlike other providers we cannot afford a loaded network, lots of blacklistings, complaints and investigations, anonymous hosting, etc, we run a business network and the VPS/iwstack for the masses business is run on side of the main one which is the real earner, it has always been this way, but recently we lost hope and nice people coming from here were fewer than before when were already too few to counter the bad apples.
    I am really grateful and we go to extremes to serve the nice people without abuse that we picked up from here, there are nice people which vote for us year after year, but we do not pick many new ones, so it is absolutely normal the rankings will slip. I am surprised we are still out there, though, each time i think it is the last, but our long standing fans still manage to inch it past the finish line. We don't offer anything special for it, however, all long term customers with 0 issues can ask us for discounts and help, they know we are here to serve them, managed or not.

All that aside, the business continues to grow, at a slower pace, of course, but given the competition and the fact we retired 2 locations on other continents and replaced with 2 in Europe, it think is not a bad result, we have trouble managing the current customers with the same 4 people of which only 2 are active daily and nightly, 4 k customers with multiple instances and services in the current world of abuse and attacks, fraud and censorship is still solid, although the numbers do not grow overall, the services are, which shows we have a loyal customer base, which was the goal all the time, we do not aim to attract new people, we offer promos and help to old faithful ones, we don't even advertise much anymore, prometeus will remain a small family business, friendly and open to known faces, extremely prudent albeit non-discriminatory with new ones.

Thanked by 2jcaleb Master_Bo
  • Very thorough post, thank you...

Thanked by 2Maounique MrPsycho
  • One year with Prometeus and i dont know anyone from support. Server is running without any problem so aside of few pre-sale tickets i never had any reason to contact them. Only "bad" thing is they removed some offers, including the one with my server spec and now what is left is more expensive then it was before. For example VPS with spec close to mine will cost almost double the price than what i paid last year. Too bad as i was thinking to replace some of my shared hosting with their VPS. But like i already said, until now my experience with them was excellent and i hope it will stay this way.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hello!

We had to cut down on old servers and offers due to various reasons (most important is that big new servers do not cope well with many small plans), however, we do have shared hosting too.
    For old customers, though, which wish to continue with old offers, they are still available, we never retire the plans completely (i.e. cut out all the old servers) we keep one for the people which still wish to use their plans and old customers which want one of those. Even 50 cents are available still if you would like one and you are an old customer.
    Revenue is never an issue, however, small plans do attract the wrong kind of people for our model in which automation and low abuse are key parts, but, of course, for the old proven customers, that is not an issue and we will be happy to offer you the plan you would like unless the last old server died (in most cases we migrated the plans from back-ups on one of the newer servers so a few are still available) and/or was in a location no longer in use.

Thanked by 2vimalware bersy
  • Wow, congratulations to the prize winners!