Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mxroute.com vs mailcheap.co
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

nqservicesnqservices Member
edited November 2016 in General

Hi all,

I'm looking to outsource email service and i'm trying to decide between mxroute.com or mailcheap.co

So I just wanted for anyone using any of this services to share their experience and if possible the main adjantages you think of each one of the services has over the other.

For me quality and reliability are the most important factors. Price comes last on my priorities.

Thanks

1. Which one to choose?142 votes
    1. mxroute.com
      81.69%
    2. mailcheap.co
      18.31%

Comments

• Mailcheap is new. I have not read any bad reviews for them, but they are not old enough to give some safeguards that they are going for the long run. I have not used them, TBH.
    On the other hand, mxroute is an excellent service, run by Jarland (and Ryanarp), the administrator of this community, a well respected member and a very nice guy. The reviews are great, in any thread about emailing there are tons of members that recommend mxroute and their prices are great, too. (I use them for one mail domain of me and I am perfectly happy).
    For a critical service, I would always go with providers that are long enough in the business proven their stability and quality by reviews from trusted forums. So... mxroute

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited November 2016

@jvnadr said:
    Mailcheap is new.

Thanks for your opinion. Do you know for how long is mailcheap in business? And also mxroute, how long are they in business?

• nqservices said: Do you know for how long is mailcheap in business? And also mxroute, how long are they in business?

Mailcheap is less than a year, if I recall well. Mxroute is over 2 years in business, but the owners (Jarland and Ryanarp) are much longer with their hosting endeavures, that are still going and rock - solid.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • jvnadr said: a well respected member and a very nice guy ?

Thanked by 1mikei
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thanks for considering MXroute! Me, Ryan, and Josh work pretty hard to ensure a solid service. We're by no means perfect, but always striving to be better.

On another note, I think mailcheap is a solid contender that you'll be seeing a lot more of. Even I'm running tests to consider leveraging the great work they've done to grow out MXroute, in the way of outbound filtering and MailChannels-like delivery system.

• Comparing the sites it looks like mailcheap copied mxroutes site layout or is that just a bootstrap thing in general?

• Do any of them allow marketing emails?

• @nqservices said:
    For me quality and reliability are the most important factors. Price comes last on my priorities.

If price isn't a factor, the answer is to buy them both. Use the one you like least as a secondary mail server, or for outgoing messages only.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • @drdrake said:
    Do any of them allow marketing emails?

You mean spam?

• @jarland said:
    Thanks for considering MXroute! Me, Ryan, and Josh work pretty hard to ensure a solid service. We're by no means perfect, but always striving to be better.

Seriously I thought you handle MXRoute all alone. I was thinking for as long as I can remember, what will happen if something happened to you that made you in no condition to handle MXRoute? Now my doubt is gone and I can use your service for more serious 'thing' without any hesitation xD

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@psycholyzern said:

@jarland said:

Seriously I thought you handle MXRoute all alone. I was thinking for as long as I can remember, what will happen if something happened to you that made you in no condition to handle MXRoute? Now my doubt is gone and I can use your service for more serious 'thing' without any hesitation xD

Ryan will run it if needed.

@pcfreak30 said:
    Comparing the sites it looks like mailcheap copied mxroutes site layout or is that just a bootstrap thing in general?

I'd say any similarities are unintended, IMO. My website is some pretty generic thrown together shit ;)

Thanked by 1GCat
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

SendGrid uses Mailchannels, I loled.

Thanked by 2GCat JackH
  • I gotta vouch for MXRoute. Josh and Jarland have been awesome so far.

Thanked by 2jar TheOnlyDK

Neoon said: SendGrid uses Mailchannels, I loled.

Probably use the dedicated solution. Pretty cool thing to do actually. You'd still use your IPs but you'd have MailChannels software as an appliance on your network.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2016

You guys using mxroute ( @jarland ) for transactional emails or for daily / private emails?

• @Hxxx said:
    You guys using mxroute ( @jarland ) for transactional emails or for daily / private emails?

Looking into it for transactional emails since we're having too many issues with Mailgun at the moment.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2016

Do you know what they do different, like for example your own cpanel email server? They use a third party for filtering and correct delivery or is just another cpanel standard server? I mean so much hype for it, there must be something special about it that makes people trust a third party for email instead of using their own cpanel. Just want to make sure if im missing something good or is just another LET hype.

@tragic said:

@Hxxx said:

Looking into it for transactional emails since we're having too many issues with Mailgun at the moment.

Hxxx said: I mean so much hype for it, there must be something special about it that makes people trust a third party for email instead of using their own cpanel.

Check this out: http://billing.mxroute.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=12

Thanked by 2Hxxx GCat
  • @jarland

Do you allow sending automated emails (like through an smtp relay on mxroute)? What kind of daily limits do you have for smtp relay.

-Adam

AdamM said: Do you allow sending automated emails (like through an smtp relay on mxroute)? What kind of daily limits do you have for smtp relay.

Yeah it's fine. You'd have to create an email account and authenticate it over SMTP to send through, but then it works great for that. I send all WHMCS emails through our system.

Hard limit right now is 2k per hour (per domain) just to reduce issues when someone's password or computer is compromised and begins sending spam. Beyond that it's mostly just let's talk before you start sending tens of thousands per month.

• Both look promising. I'll probably give both a whirl soon. I hope to have reviews soon.

Hopefully, we'll see some Black Friday specials. :P

• @Hxxx said:
    Do you know what they do different, like for example your own cpanel email server? They use a third party for filtering and correct delivery or is just another cpanel standard server? I mean so much hype for it, there must be something special about it that makes people trust a third party for email instead of using their own cpanel. Just want to make sure if im missing something good or is just another LET hype.

@tragic said:

@Hxxx said:

For us, delivery is important and I rather go with a solution that just works and focus our resources helping our customers :) It would be a shame to spend hours and hours worrying about delivery (when @jarland has already proven solution) and take that away support time from our customers.

• jarland said: Yeah it's fine. You'd have to create an email account and authenticate it over SMTP to send through, but then it works great for that. I send all WHMCS emails through our system.

Great, I am a pretty happy sendGrid customer, but it would be nice to be able to have a nice webmail aspect (which is missing in sendGrid). I send about 1-2K a month, mostly all automated in response to user actions on a web app. I will definitely look into you all in my next project.

-Adam

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@nqservices said:

@jvnadr said:
    Mailcheap is new.

Thanks for your opinion. Do you know for how long is mailcheap in business? And also mxroute, how long are they in business?

Mailcheap was started in September 2015; so its been a little over an year. Find more about us here.

• Hxxx said: Do you know what they do different, like for example your own cpanel email server? They use a third party for filtering and correct delivery or is just another cpanel standard server? I mean so much hype for it, there must be something special about it that makes people trust a third party for email instead of using their own cpanel.

You can refer here: https://billing.mxroute.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=12

• mxroute is great .. never had any issue till now..

• Do either allow reselling?

I'm not interested in selling on mass or any of that crap but I do have a few friends I still provide hosting services to and I always worry about things like issues with mail since it's not my dayjob and I might not be around for at least a few hours to look at it if it did go tits up.

It's actually why my own email is on Office365 at the moment, had a raid card go bad a few years back. Didn't lose any data but having email unavailable for multiple hours when you get the backups restored on another server.etc was an eye opener.

• @Ishaq said:

@drdrake said:
    Do any of them allow marketing emails?

You mean spam?

Only people who don't have a marketing strategy call marketing emails spam. NO, it's not spam. I have been using sendgrid for a year now and i have received 0 spam reports.