Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparing Ramnode and BuyVM plan - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comparing Ramnode and BuyVM plan

2»

Comments

• @Francisco said:

@jcaleb said:
    Sorry if you have answered this before. But why does it seem your regular KVM is more expensive? With Slice, I can get more RAM and have the disk in SSD. What is the advantage of regular KVM? CPU?

Is this just a transition phase? Is the slice the future of BuyVM?

Correct :) In the next round of nodes we build we'll be offering migrations to all current KVM customers to new plans. The only plan we suspect will be left will be the 128MB's.

Once we have slices globally we're planning to close all 256MB+ OpenVZ plans in favor of the slices.

We hope to simplify our productline to only carry slices and storage plans.

Francisco

So a 512mb slice is in the works?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2016

@ipasces6 said:

@Francisco said:

@jcaleb said:
    Sorry if you have answered this before. But why does it seem your regular KVM is more expensive? With Slice, I can get more RAM and have the disk in SSD. What is the advantage of regular KVM? CPU?

Is this just a transition phase? Is the slice the future of BuyVM?

Correct :) In the next round of nodes we build we'll be offering migrations to all current KVM customers to new plans. The only plan we suspect will be left will be the 128MB's.

Once we have slices globally we're planning to close all 256MB+ OpenVZ plans in favor of the slices.

We hope to simplify our productline to only carry slices and storage plans.

Francisco

So a 512mb slice is in the works?

Nope, $3.50/month is where we'll stop.

128MB KVM's will be depooled once we have slices everywhere. As of right now they come out to like $3.00/month or so, so going to $3.50/month shouldn't break any banks.

The 128MB OpenVZ's will still be available since people still like them for small projects. They'll likely get another round of upgrades in the future whenever old nodes get repurposed. Some SSD's are quite likely. It's also possible we end up just giving them a space upgrade on the SATA drives since we get people always nagging wanting a super cheap storage. Then again, maybe we should just make a $3.50/month storage.

Francisco

• Francisco said: The 128MB OpenVZ's will still be available since people still like them for small projects. They'll likely get another round of upgrades in the future whenever old nodes get repurposed. Some SSD's are quite likely. It's also possible we end up just giving them a space upgrade on the SATA drives since we get people always nagging wanting a super cheap storage. Then again, maybe we should just make a $3.50/month storage.

I'm using my 128MB OVZ as my mailserver. I think the price/resources is super useful. Add mountable volumes to them at $0.0XX/GB and they become even more useful.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Francisco said: The 128MB OpenVZ's will still be available since people still like them for small projects. They'll likely get another round of upgrades in the future whenever old nodes get repurposed. Some SSD's are quite likely. It's also possible we end up just giving them a space upgrade on the SATA drives since we get people always nagging wanting a super cheap storage. Then again, maybe we should just make a $3.50/month storage.

I got up at 2 in the frackin' morning to get my 128 so it better stick around...:-)

Ah, nostalgia. Was BuyVM the first with the $15/yr 128?

Thanked by 1Francisco
    edited November 2016

@rajprakash said:

Francisco said: The 128MB OpenVZ's will still be available since people still like them for small projects. They'll likely get another round of upgrades in the future whenever old nodes get repurposed. Some SSD's are quite likely. It's also possible we end up just giving them a space upgrade on the SATA drives since we get people always nagging wanting a super cheap storage. Then again, maybe we should just make a $3.50/month storage.

I'm using my 128MB OVZ as my mailserver. I think the price/resources is super useful. Add mountable volumes to them at $0.0XX/GB and they become even more useful.

OpenVZ's + that is a clusterfuck waiting to happen. I think we'd be better off just giving a one off diskspace bump to all 128MB's. Maybe a 4x - 5x space bump.

@raindog308 said:

I got up at 2 in the frackin' morning to get my 128 so it better stick around...:-)

Ah, nostalgia. Was BuyVM the first with the $15/yr 128?

There was another provider before us (RackVM maybe?) that did a $10/year plan as a cash grab to try to pay their bills to OVH. That obviously caught fire and burnt to a crisp. As far as I know we were the first and one of the last of the old guard that offers them.

Most everyone else has gone belly up, stopped offering them, or offers something similar on a very limited basis due to IP costs and the likes. Fairly sure @mitgib still offers something around that price point and I count him as part of the old guard.

Francisco

• raindog308 said: Was BuyVM the first with the $15/yr 128?

Something at the back of my head says they weren't, but I'm struggling to think who it was...

@Nekki said:

raindog308 said: Was BuyVM the first with the $15/yr 128?

Something at the back of my head says they weren't, but I'm struggling to think who it was...

There was something at $10/year or so that was from UptimeVPS or someone like that, but the $15/year price point is what we coined. To be fair though UptimeVPS was the most hilariously scammy operation i'd seen in a long time and no one believed me when I was screaming it all over LEB/LET.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

128MB KVM's will be depooled once we have slices everywhere. As of right now they come out to like $3.00/month or so, so going to $3.50/month shouldn't break any banks.

Francisco

Actually, 25/yr is 2/month ...

@ipasces6 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Actually, 25/yr is 2/month ...

Fair, but not everyone will pay yearly :)

Francisco

• scpalscpal Member
    edited November 2016

Thanks all for your input. I will try them both.