Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparing Ramnode and BuyVM plan
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

scpalscpal Member
edited November 2016 in Reviews

Hello,

I'd like your input on these 2 plans. Which one would you think is better for my setup?

Ramnode BuyVM
Standard OpenVZ SSD Slice KVM SSD
CPU (+) 1 Core (-) ¼ Core @ 3.50+ GHz - Fair Share Usage
Memory (-) 512 / 256 (swap) MB (+) 1024 MB

This what what I'm planning to run:

• Debian 8 32bit
  • 1 Django site with gunicorn (~3 workers)
  • Nginx
  • Postgresql
  • VPN server
  • fail2ban

Aparrently the OpenVZ may perform better, but the more RAM on the KVM is quite appealing.

Cheers

UPDATE: Thanks all for your input. I will try them both.
  1. Which one would you think is better for my setup?64 votes
    1. Ramnode's Standard OpenVZ SSD 512MB
      26.56%
    2. BuyVM's SLICE 1024
      73.44%

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

You get more bang for your buck with BuyVM. KVM, double the ram, faster single core performance (E3 vs E5), lower density nodes (although could have more people maxing out cores, so that's a toss up without more info). I also think BuyVM is going unmetered soon.

I love both, but in this instance I would pick BuyVM.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog scpal
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Since you didn't mention location...it doesn't matter? (It may very well not, if you're just doing web serving to the world, but it's often a consideration).

RamNode has three tiers of SSD...I don't know which is the direct comparison performance-wise with BuyVM. I'm sure they're as good as Ramnode standard, don't know about premium.

Btw, on the BuyVM side, you can add swap as well. Since it's KVM, as much as you like.

I don't think you're going to go wrong here either way...these sorts of shopping analyses are fun tho :-)

Thanked by 3scpal Francisco netomx
  • Thanks all.

Harambe said: KVM, double the ram, faster single core performance (E3 vs E5)

But the KVM is only 1/4 Core. Doesn't that matter?

raindog308 said: Since you didn't mention location...it doesn't matter?

The user base is mainly in Asia and Australia. I think there is no much different between LA and Las Vegas?

• Fk openvz . Nothing but heartache

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@scpal said:

Harambe said: KVM, double the ram, faster single core performance (E3 vs E5)

But the KVM is only 1/4 Core. Doesn't that matter?

I don't have one, maybe someone who does or @Francisco can clear it up. My assumption was that it's full core access but fair share, not dedicated like the $15+ plan.

• BuyVM. I used both. I think BuyVM really knows what they are doing.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2016

9 times outta 10 the nodes have more than a good bit of CPU spare so users can burst up. There's only been like 3 - 4 times where i've had to cap some 1GB plans and that's because they were all the same user provisioned to the same node and weights weren't doing enough balancing. Even then all I did was rate limit their CPU and all was well. Even then, users that had dedicated CPU time were getting what they paid for, it was more just the shared core people duking it out.

1/4 of a 3.5Ghz core means you're still getting ~1Ghz all to your self 24/7 with a very high chance you can burst up to the full 3.5Ghz w/o much issue.

Our plans include Windows if that ever becomes a need as well as things like Anycast if you ever need your own CDN, etc. I plan to have backups/snapshots available later this year, I just need to merge a revision to Stallion. I'm not sure if we're going to charge for them or what.

Francisco

Thanked by 1scpal

@elgs said:
    BuyVM. I used both. I think BuyVM really knows what they are doing.

Thanks, I'm hoping by now that I'm addressing issues and fixing problems without kernel panicing something (node, router, switch, router, etc).

"The franning" isn't a common occurance much these days.

Francisco

• To be honest, when given such choices, I don't compare them on paper. I just buy 1 month from each option and give it a spin. Then I can feel which one fits my need.

• @Francisco said:
    I plan to have backups/snapshots available later this year
    Francisco

If the snapshots and backups could be used to create new slice, that would be greate!
    Every time I want to buy a slice, it's out of stock, every time it have stock, I already bought from others.

• BuyVM has the worst service. Just be aware. Probably run by 1-2 unprofessional people

One whim and they delete your VPS, process refund and THEN message you on the ticket you made. All that cause their VPS had errors and you wanted support. In their own words "its not worth it for few dollars". Well don't offer those plans then, or make your VPS and provisioning bug free.

I payed more and got better service, in the hand of better people. Simply not worth the trouble and the agony. I wont suggest alternatives cause im really not here to publicise someone else, just to make you understand why its cheap and making sure you take an informed decision.

• FoulFoul Member
    edited November 2016

partymonger said: BuyVM has the worst service. Just be aware. Probably run by 1-2 unprofessional people

One whim and they delete your VPS, process refund and THEN message you on the ticket you made. All that cause their VPS had errors and you wanted support. In their own words "its not worth it for few dollars". Well don't offer those plans then, or make your VPS and provisioning bug free.

It's not ran by 1-2 people, i've never had any issues with them at all, and i've been with them for a while.

Did you like ticket spam, or do anything out of the ordinary. They wouldn't just delete a vps for no reason.

Tagging @francisco

I can't do much without a ticket ID to go by. It's quite possible he signed up, asked 50 questions as well as moaned about waiting for a manual provision so he has a bad taste in his mouth.

We do our best to make everyone happy and I think we've been succeeding at that. @partymonger if you want to get me a ticket ID in PM i'll at the very least read over your case and see if we dropped the ball.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Foul
  • LeeLee Veteran

partymonger said: BuyVM has the worst service.

I don't believe you, proof or GTFO.

Thanked by 2fxf inthecloudblog
  • @Francisco said:
    I can't do much without a ticket ID to go by. It's quite possible he signed up, asked 50 questions as well as moaned about waiting for a manual provision so he has a bad taste in his mouth.

We do our best to make everyone happy and I think we've been succeeding at that. @partymonger if you want to get me a ticket ID in PM i'll at the very least read over your case and see if we dropped the ball.

Francisco

No thanks. Its been more than a month, i've moved on. I've spoken to you about it. You only reinforced what I wrote. Half of what i wrote came from you. Im all for small providers, but you have atrocious attitude and your custom panel is full of bugs that you blame on the customer.

As for a proof, you only need to read your own reply -

---> It's quite possible he signed up, asked 50 questions as well as moaned about waiting for a manual provision so he has a bad taste in his mouth.

You have a custom dashboard and platform. With no support guides, and you have an issue with people asking 50 questions? LOL I didnt even ask those, but damn man. That entitlement and attitude. Glad I moved on.

Sorry, wont waste more time on this. The user has been warned.

• @Lee said:

partymonger said: BuyVM has the worst service.

I don't believe you, proof or GTFO.

Thats okay mate. If you are one of the few they were reasonable with, good for you. I just dont have the time for this. You can search for issues with them. Its a recurring theme. I run a small business too, but never seen such an attitude. I wasted 10 hrs for nothing over it. Not going to waste more.

• @partymonger said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

No thanks. Its been more than a month, i've moved on. I've spoken to you about it. You only reinforced what I wrote. Half of what i wrote came from you. Im all for small providers, but you have atrocious attitude and your custom panel is full of bugs that you blame on the customer.

As for a proof, you only need to read your own reply -

---> It's quite possible he signed up, asked 50 questions as well as moaned about waiting for a manual provision so he has a bad taste in his mouth.

You have a custom dashboard and platform. With no support guides, and you have an issue with people asking 50 questions? LOL I didnt even ask those, but damn man. That entitlement and attitude. Glad I moved on.

Sorry, wont waste more time on this. The user has been warned.

I'd advise strongly against trying to bash a very well known, respected provider without poor such as tickets or live chat logs. In this situation you are ruining your own reputation than @Francisco's. You are actually helping him build his rep as many LET users will now come to defend BuyVM including myself and saying what an excellent job he does.

• @partymonger said:
    BuyVM has the worst service. Just be aware. Probably run by 1-2 unprofessional people

I'd like to hear more info on this... I've had services with them for several years now and no problems. There was a situation where i had to explain why my address was not on my account correctly - once that was cleared up it was not an issue...

@scpal

I've got services with both places -- they are both top-notch services -- you really can't go wrong with either... Once BUYVM gets slices in other places, I'm definitely going to pick one up though... (I'm currently just using Openvz right now)

For the price, get both for a month and compare them for what you need to do and stick with the one you like!

Thanked by 1scpal
  • partymongerpartymonger Member
    edited November 2016

I'd advise strongly against trying to bash a very well known, respected provider without poor such as tickets or live chat logs. In this situation you are ruining your own reputation than @Francisco's. You are actually helping him build his rep as many LET users will now come to defend BuyVM including myself and saying what an excellent job he does.

He runs a business, he has commercial interest in saving his reputation. I don't get anything by wasting my time in running and providing justification to each detail asked, only so he can give a silly excuse for it, or say that I must have asked 50 questions as well as moaned about waiting for a manual provision so he has a bad taste in his mouth.

Its a community. I've shared my review. If you are cautious you can take it, or ignore it. Zero issues with me. As for my reputation, this is just an online board. My reputation isnt really a very big concern for me in this obscure corner of the internet. If you read my replies, think of me as a common troll, i'd invite you to ignore everything I wrote.

As for you and others, obviously he has clients being here so long, and maybe he doesn't treat everyone like shit. Im just talking about my experience and have demonstrated in the previous reply how lightly he takes customer service. If you have a good experience, that doesnt automatically mean that everyone who's had a bad experience with them is lying.

If things had gone straight, I would have got a good experience too. But the VM i got had a lot of issues due to some issue in their VM image for the OS (i guess). They stopped replying to my ticket after a few replies. Maybe the problem was offbeat.

I message Francisco who had promised to be setup in an hour. He probably asks the guy to sort it, and the service agent lashes out at me saying I broke it. I replied back saying I have been working on that OS for 15 yrs now. (not that precludes an error, but damn it must be a record to "break drivers" just with a few seconds on the VM). I mentioned the bad tone and said that I've done the same thing multiple times before. Little chance of me breaking anything. All this pretty politely.

And boom, my VM disappears from the list of machines.

Next I get a message from the same service agent saying sorry you didnt like our services, we have deleted your machine, removed you and refunded to paypal.

Surprised at the unprofessional behaviour, I contact francisco and he tells me its not worth his time for a few dollars. And that he "just doesnt have the energy".

Again, its been one of my worst experiences online and I'm happy i paid a bit more and got a rock stable provider who value their customers even if they have issues (this one was of their own panel, not even my issues). I'd suggest others do the same, or atleast know what hell they are getting into.

Peace out.

Fairly sure the image was just fine, any problematic images were replaced quite a while ago.

Anyway, if you were refunded and that was what I said (likely was, I do remember something like that), that likely means there was more than one ticket about it and Val had concerns over other tickets. A single ticket isn't going to get you a refund short of you asking for one.

Anyway, I apologize now, and likely did back then too, that it didn't go like you wanted. In the end it's true, if you're a bunch of tickets deep and you're unhappy then it's probably not worth either of our time to spend on it. That's not to say I don't go to bat for my customers though, I have some $5/year clients that use up an hour or so of my time a month for random cPanel questions/things they want and I'll help them since they're patient.

It's pretty rare we have any issues on KVM based plans. The biggest issue we get to date is people expecting Windows templates to install in 15 seconds when the thing is 20GB+ of bloat. OpenVZ's another bag of crazy, but as you said, you weren't on OVZ.

Francisco

edited November 2016

@Francisco said:
    Fairly sure the image was just fine, any problematic images were replaced quite a while ago.

Anyway, if you were refunded and that was what I said (likely was, I do remember something like that), that likely means there was more than one ticket about it and Val had concerns over other tickets. A single ticket isn't going to get you a refund short of you asking for one.

Anyway, I apologize now, and likely did back then too, that it didn't go like you wanted. In the end it's true, if you're a bunch of tickets deep and you're unhappy then it's probably not worth either of our time to spend on it. That's not to say I don't go to bat for my customers though, I have some $5/year clients that use up an hour or so of my time a month for random cPanel questions/things they want and I'll help them since they're patient.

It's pretty rare we have any issues on KVM based plans. The biggest issue we get to date is people expecting Windows templates to install in 15 seconds when the thing is 20GB+ of bloat. OpenVZ's another bag of crazy, but as you said, you weren't on OVZ.

Francisco

Now that its in the open, i'm sure you will apologise. I've fallen for the same reviews on the board, and god know how many more have. That is why I wrote this here. I made a total of two tickets. First was to setup with windows since I thought you do it manually, and you had asked me to tell what option of OS i wanted in a ticket. That ticket was randomly diverted to billing department for some reason and closed in a few minutes.

Confused and with nothing happening, I made another one detailing exactly what I wanted. Again I had zero idea how your platform works and to what degree its automated. And then what i posted above happened. So no spamming with tickets here.

Even if you are apologising now, i'm sure you will revert back to the same when ever it suites you. I provide a lot of low cost services to my clients. Grown from zero. People who payed me peanuts in the beginning, developed confidence to trust me with thousands of dollars every month. I know what you mean by it not being worth your time, it never is. But if you don't want to take the trouble inspite it not being worth your time, only provide services for the prices where you can afford everyone good service. It wasted a day of mine, delayed my project and made me extra cautious of anyone who provides services on this forum, especially ones with great reviews and members backing them up.

Good bye.

partymonger said: extra cautious of anyone who provides services on this forum

The only reason I could see it be diverted is if the order wasn't accepted yet, in which case, yes, billing is the first party that will be handling things. If you were bumping the ticket, etc, then I could see that being a problem. The only issue the Windows templates have is that they're cows in size, the minimum one being 12GB or so + the time to uncompress and image that in. We don't have an unattend.xml to make it enable RDP and disable the firewall but that's pretty high on my TODO list so it's a pretty soon thing.

There's plenty of solid providers on here, us included. You can check the top list and pick from either of the 'top 5' lists and likely be fine. Be warned though, if you're being impatient, bumping, etc, there's a reasonable chance you'll get the same reaction from them as well.

Francisco

• Fran, the allocated core is a real core or it considers Hyperthreading?

edited November 2016

@Francisco said:

partymonger said: extra cautious of anyone who provides services on this forum

The only reason I could see it be diverted is if the order wasn't accepted yet, in which case, yes, billing is the first party that will be handling things. If you were bumping the ticket, etc, then I could see that being a problem. The only issue the Windows templates have is that they're cows in size, the minimum one being 12GB or so + the time to uncompress and image that in. We don't have an unattend.xml to make it enable RDP and disable the firewall but that's pretty high on my TODO list so it's a pretty soon thing.

There's plenty of solid providers on here, us included. You can check the top list and pick from either of the 'top 5' lists and likely be fine. Be warned though, if you're being impatient, bumping, etc, there's a reasonable chance you'll get the same reaction from them as well.

Francisco

So you mention 3 excuses -

windows installing
    I have 20 computers that I maintain, all have windows. I know install times. I have zero issues with any of those. I could see it was provisioning.

Spamming tickets
    Just explained there were two tickets, would have been one if i didnt think first one was closed mistakenly

Bumping tickets
    Nope. Not once.

You guys are just totally unprofessional. You threw a fit, deleted the VPS on a whim. Im glad i didnt go into production with you. What nightmare it would have been.

@jcaleb said:
    Fran, the allocated core is a real core or it considers Hyperthreading?

We allocate as threads. I'm working on a better popup to explain it better.

The problem we had originally when we did say threads is that most users didn't get the difference. We ended up doing "core" until I can make said modal.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Sorry if you have answered this before. But why does it seem your regular KVM is more expensive? With Slice, I can get more RAM and have the disk in SSD. What is the advantage of regular KVM? CPU?

Is this just a transition phase? Is the slice the future of BuyVM?

• Two month wait for a reseller with BuyVM was the best decision of my life.. I'm a patient person and it paid off. The service is top notch.

That being said, Ramnode are also great, best thing to do is try both and decide which one suits your needs.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • fxffxf Member
    edited November 2016

holy hell lmao

@partymonger said:

>

No thanks. Its been more than a month, i've moved on. Thanks for this opportunity, Francisco! I've dreamed of getting the chance to express my feelings about this for so long, but I never thought I'd live to see the day! . . .

-five additional posts omitted-

. . . What nightmare it[sic] would have been.

>

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • @jcaleb said

That is what @francisco has indicated in the past ...

@jcaleb said:
    Sorry if you have answered this before. But why does it seem your regular KVM is more expensive? With Slice, I can get more RAM and have the disk in SSD. What is the advantage of regular KVM? CPU?

Correct :) In the next round of nodes we build we'll be offering migrations to all current KVM customers to new plans. The only plan we suspect will be left will be the 128MB's.

Once we have slices globally we're planning to close all 256MB+ OpenVZ plans in favor of the slices.

We hope to simplify our productline to only carry slices and storage plans.

Francisco