Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited November 2016 in General

Heya,

So far I've been using Avira Free + Malwarebytes Free however due to some recent test results and Avira Free being annoying I am acctually considering to purchase an Antivirus Software for the first time.

Currently considering either ESET NOD32 or Kaspersky Antivirus.
If you have any recommendations let me know! Anyone tested F-Secure/Pandasecurity?
Bitdefender is said to be good but was very annoying when I tested it.
Naturally disliking Avira & Avast I probably won't go for any of those either.

Comments

• Bitdefender here. The free version is really limited. The GUI of the "pro" one isn't that good, but seems to do the job.

Thanked by 2Ympker ninaprasetyo
  • @yomero said:
    Bitdefender here. The free version is really limited. The GUI of the "pro" one isn't that good, but seems to do the job.

Tested the pro one and had trouble with some games :/

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited November 2016

I use MalwareBytes and my mind :)

Never tried Kaspersky, but ESET is my favourite. Before ESET I used Avast.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

inb4 linux/apple "antivirus, why do you need that" fanbois

• Using "Avast Free Antivirus" in combination with common sense, driving safe this way since day one.

• I personally use Kaspersky, love it myself. But I've also used used ESET in the past and it was also good. Kaspersky is slightly more bloated than ESET (from my memories) but I never have too many complaints about it. I have a couple spare Kaspersky Internet Security (1 year 3 PCs) keys if you want to go that route, can let it go fairly cheap.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

All of the PCs in my house use Malwarebytes'

• **No AVG fan here? **

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited November 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:

You can get Kaspersky keys dirt cheap at the moment as a lot of retail/online stores are selling off their 2016 versions cheap because 2017 is out. Even came with a copy on optical media, how retro!

Stupidest part of that is if you have a valid license Kaspersky will let you download the latest version anwyay.

I think It cost me about £15 for a 10 device license (With a device being a PC/Mac or Android)

Edit:

Mods feel free to remove if it's a problem but otherwise
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk , looks like they are still selling them,

• @dragon2611 said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

You can get Kaspersky keys dirt cheap at the moment as a lot of retail/online stores are selling off their 2016 versions cheap because 2017 is out. Even came with a copy on optical media, how retro!

Stupidest part of that is if you have a valid license Kaspersky will let you download the latest version anwyay.

I think It cost me about £15 for a 10 device license (With a device being a PC/Mac or Android)

That's actually way cheaper than what I paid for mine, I think mine were $10-$12 CAD a few years ago.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited November 2016

@TheOnlyDK it's a bit silly as the difference in price between the 1,3,5,10 licenses is about £3 or so at the moment.

• Not at all.

• @dragon2611 said:
    @TheOnlyDK it's a bit silly as the difference in price between the 1,3,5,10 licenses is about £3 or so at the moment.

I personally wouldn't be paying extra for the 5 or 10 devices, but if you have lots of devices or family members go for it.

• I have more than 3 devices, and there was some other offer on meaning I actually paid less for 10 than I would have for 5 at the time ;-)

• CrogicCrogic Member
    edited November 2016

I use Sophos Home Edition + uBlock Origin + common sense.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Kaspersky used to be really light on the resources while having some of the best detection rates on par w/ Symantec; now its just really bloated with some really intrusive stuff like script injection in browsers, hijacking encrypted connections and so on.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Windows Defender

• If you don't like the pop-ups and distracting notifications in the free version of Avast you can try Avast for Business. It's free, silent and centrally-managed. It even works on Windows Server.

But personally, I prefer F-Secure SAFE. It uses the great Bitdefender engine + their own behavioral analysis engine, DeepGuard. And the UI is more streamlined and less buggy than the interface of Bitdefender.

ESET is terrific for known threats, but last time I checked, its 0day protection was a bit lacking.

CentrioHost said: **No AVG fan here? **

Avast acquired AVG for $1.3B in July.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • I've never tried an anti-virus program. Is there an advantage over not using any? It seems to me that it's the ones using anti-virus programs who are getting the viruses.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • Thanks for the reply guys. After reading some more reviews I choose ESET NOD32. Got a 1 Year license for 5$ from G2A. Not a bad deal I guess. Would have also invested more if I saw a need to but ESET was my final choice overall^^

• Gonna be the hipster in the corner. I'm running Cylance on my work and home machines.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Ole_Juul said:
    I've never tried an anti-virus program. Is there an advantage over not using any? It seems to me that it's the ones using anti-virus programs who are getting the viruses.

I don't have one either. I have Hackintosh installed (after screwing it up), and Windows 7 dual-boot when I really need to. Macintosh seems to be doing a way better job of not having crappy "UNEXPECTED ERROR PLEASE INSTALL MIKROSOFT VINDOWS 10 FOR CRITICAL UPDATES" adverts that pop up every time I boot into Windows. Also, unlike VINDOWS, the interface doesn't make my eyes bleed.

Having no antivirus is great though - no lagging, sagging, or nagging.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul Claverhouse
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

We use Comodo Free Internet Security and it works very well for us.

• @CentrioHost said:
    **No AVG fan here? **

You mean average scanner? Get it? AVG = average?

• We are using Eset Smart Security and never looked back.

• Using Windows defender + common sense. Not really care about antivirus because my main OS is Manjaro. My windows is safe until now.

• Bit Defender.

• @jamesrat said:
    Gonna be the hipster in the corner. I'm running Cylance on my work and home machines.

http://www.businessinsider.com/companies-funded-by-cia-2016-9

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I use Quick Heal . its a nice av and has very good detection rate.

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited November 2016

At the moment i'm using "Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition" that costs 21.50 €/year on their official website.

Besides the good results on the anti-virus tests similar to Kaspersky and Eset, it as the main adjantage of being both compatible with Windows PC's and Windows Servers. So the license cost is the same for a PC or a Server and i can't find better server solution for such a low cost.

@jamesrat said:
    I'm running Cylance on my work and home machines.

I have read before about Cylance and seems a very good solution. Can i ask you how much is the license price?