Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D

Comments

• just resized all my droplets. it is fantastic!

• @chinmoy said: just twitted this.

tweeted

• wow.. nice offer.

• Very competitive with Uncle Sal's last offer on LEB.

• @webflier said: just resized all my droplets. it is fantastic!

My resize is still processing. They are dealing with a huge number of resize request right now. :)

• BradNDBradND Member
    edited January 2013

Very good... now if only they had internal addresses sorted.

I/O is nice:

root@utility:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.57764 s, 300 MB/s

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Their control panel is responding like shit. I think their system is extremely busy right now!

• @chinmoy said: My resize is still processing. They are dealing with a huge number of resize request right now. :)

"Dealing with a large number of resizes so we are going to be throttling them"

• fanfan Veteran

I wonder how could they offer such a low price, but anyways it seems to be interesting to have a try.

• I did the resize just before the official announcement. so everything went well.

• I had a free beta offer with them, and it wasn't bad(it was beta, so I was "bug testing" right) - I wasn't too thrilled with the bandwidth at their NYC facility, but there AMS was a bit better overall(global ping time average). Otherwise, the only thing that was lacking (at that time) was 64bit Ubuntu - the co-founder e-mailed me a let me know that they would be adding more image options, and he was kind/empathetic in regards to my observations.

I will most likely give them another run, when the servers stop smoking from all the traffic they are currently getting.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@BradND said: Very good... now if only they had internal addresses sorted.

Do they now offer internal addresses? Last time I checked they didn't. And what's the point of that, you can't make your VPS cheaper by removing the IPv4 anyway, and the traffic is still unlimited with the public addresses?

• @rm_ said: the traffic is still unlimited with the public addresses?

Yes!!

edited January 2013

@chinmoy said: Yes!!

Please reread my message carefully. I was saying: There is no point in private addresses, since you can push unlimited traffic using public addresses anyway. I was not asking whether or not it is still unlimited (I know that it is).

• This may have been said somewhere else, but I couldn't find it anywhere :/

Anyone know what Digital Ocean uses for hypervisor? I think it was Xen, but I am not sure sure now? Xen with OnApp, KVM, or something they cooked up themselves?

• KVM with fixed kernel

• KVM with their own stuff

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Kvm

@dano it is certainly KVM, no doubt about that. Perhaps kinda heavily customized/scripted, e.g. you can't change your kernel (it is external to the VM), and all the nifty stuff with snapshot/backup/destroy/recreate and pay cents for 1 or 2 hours of a VM, is certainly not your granpa's SolusVM.

• So the $5 vps is only for available in US location? No EU?

Enjoy your free trial!

Your trial account is limited to launching one 512MB Virtual Server in the US Region.

To activate your account please update your Billing Profile

After activating your account you can launch additional virtual servers of any size in different geographic regions, take snapshots, and enable backups.

• @n0my said: So the $5 vps is only for available in US location? No EU?

The free trial is, yes.

• Seems really cheap to me. All LEB providers can close business now :(

• @ztec said: Seems really cheap to me. All LEB providers can close business now :(

I was thinking the same. Good RAM/Disk ratio also

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited January 2013

DO is nice, but they don't offer to individually customize any resources. A major deal breaker for me.

The trial only lasts 3 hours, @amarc, not a month. You can get a $2.5 credit if you add a credit card though, that lets you trial it for ~a week or so.

• @winteriese Apparently this is in the works.

• Why are you guys taking $5 credit, when you can have $10? The code is "SSDTweet10 "

• @Wintereise said: The trial only lasts 3 hours, @amarc, not a month. You can get a $2.5 credit if you add a credit card though, that lets you trial it for ~a week or so.

Generally yes..but this time they are offering $10 for new customers with the code SSDTweet10

• I guess the credit only applies if you add a valid billing method then? I.e, you need to spend $5 via Paypal to be able to receive it or add a card.

Wasn't aware of the code though, cheers.

@titanicsaled Nice!

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

@Wintereise said: guess the credit only applies if you add a valid billing method then? I.e, you need to spend $5 via Paypal to be able to receive it or add a card.

You have to add your credit card to DO to get $5 credit, they charge you $1.2 or something for validation then credit that back to account also.

• Sign up using the promo code SSDTweet10 and choose paypal as your billing method. Do not actually pay with paypal at that point.

It will add $11.25 of credit to your account. You may then add funds as you wish.