Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secondary / Backup DNS for dnsmadeeasy.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Secondary / Backup DNS for dnsmadeeasy.com

Hi,

I'm using dnsmadeeasy.com for many years now and I just remember 1 downtime a few years ago caused by a large DDoS attack. Since then the uptime as always been 100%...

But the future is unknown and seeing recent large scale DDoS attacks on multiple internet companies, made me think on having a full redundant dns solution.

So i want to continue to use dnsmadeeasy.com as my primary dns and find a new dns provider capable to serve as my secondary dns.

Anyone also doing this? Any suggestions for a secondary dns provider?

Thanks

Comments

• Route53 could work? Alternatively, if you have the funds, get a firm like Akamai/Incapsula for protection, they'll take the beating for a price, or Cloudflare Pro/Business would also work, they can take a beating, small expense but worth it

• @GCat,

I will look into Route53 and Cloudflare Free. Cloudflare Pro for sue and think Akamai/Incapsula are also out of my budjet for being expensive solutions.

• @nqservices said:
    @GCat,

I will look into Route53 and Cloudflare Free. Cloudflare Pro for sue and think Akamai/Incapsula are also out of my budjet for being expensive solutions.

Incapsula isn't that bad, https://www.incapsula.com/pricing-and-plans.html - $59/mo for pro

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Route53, Cloudns.net, dns.he.net, your registrar's DNS, etc.

• Cloudflare Pro costs just $20/month. I don't think that's expensive.

No idea how much it costs at Akamai, but since you can't find easily their prices, should be very high =P

But depending on your usage, AWS could be a better option.

• @Harambe

Thanks for the suggestion. Cloudns.net Premium DNS - Personal plan for 2$/month seems to meet my needs.

@GCat and @yomero

Looking at the new Cloudflare website, on the compare plans section I don't see any different between the Free vs Pro plan in terms of features related with DNS. So it seems that for DNS both Cloudflare Free and Pro are the same.

• @nqservices said:
    @Harambe

Thanks for the suggestion. Cloudns.net Premium DNS - Personal plan for 2$/month seems to meet my needs.

@GCat and @yomero

Looking at the new Cloudflare website, on the compare plans section I don't see any different between the Free vs Pro plan in terms of features related with DNS. So it seems that for DNS both Cloudflare Free and Pro are the same.

DNS is the same yes, but with Cloudflare Pro you get more options for websites, ex, WAF, etc.

https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/pro/

https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/free

• @GCat,

Looking in more detail to Cloudflare Free vs Pro it seems that with the new website released, they changed the difference in terms of speed.

Before on the "old" website it showed that the Pro plan was Faster vs the Free. But now looking at the new website the speed / performance seems to be the same.

The difference will be on the extra features (firewall, image optimization, etc..) that of course can make the website faster, but talking in terms of pure CDN performance the Free vs the Pro seems to be equal on the new website.

Can anyone confirm this?

• Are you guys talking about Route53 being an automated slave DNS server or just entering records at both?

• @HackedServer

I'm talking about a Secondary DNS service to be used as "slave" for my master dns hosted on dnsmadeeasy.com

Did i clarify your question?

• @nqservices said:
    I'm talking about a Secondary DNS service to be used as "slave" for my master dns hosted on dnsmadeeasy.com

Did i clarify your question?

I get what you're looking for, it is just my understanding that you can't do this with Route 53 unless you use some tools to mirror zones or manually input records to both DME and Route53.

Route53 doesn't support AXFR as far as I can tell. I'd love to be told I'm wrong though.

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited October 2016

@HackedServer said:

I get what you're looking for, it is just my understanding that you can't do this with Route 53 unless you use some tools to mirror zones or manually input records to both DME and Route53.

>

I really need an automated secondary dns system in order to config once and then the secondary dns provider should catch and update new entries and changes made on primary dns (dnsmadeeasy.com)

Also having custom (branded / vanity) nameservers is something i value.

Until now it seems cloudns.net Premium DNS - Personal plan for 2$/month the one it meet all my needs because it can be used as "Secondary DNS" and it also has the DNS Branding option.

Does anyone has more suggestions? Also, anyone using cloudns.ney? If yes, is their service good?

Note: Also founded buddyns.com. Anyone has experience with them?

Thanks

• We use dnsmadeeasy as our 2 primary NS and cloudns for our 3rd (as secondary).
    Had no DNS downtime for over 2 years.