Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendations for hosted email provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommendations for hosted email provider?

NekkiNekki Veteran
edited January 2013 in General

I've been wanting to move away from using gmail for a bit now, so I'm looking for a hosted email service that I can use with one of my own domains - there are quite a few providers out there, so I guess I'm just looking for some recommendations from anyone who uses/has used a hosted email service.

I have considered trying to deploy my own solution, but to be blunt my skills aren't at a level that I'd trust myself to manage something as important as my email :-0

Comments

• outlook.com

• jhjh Member

Atmail.com cloud could be an option, otherwise of course Outlook.com

• I had no idea Outlook could do anything with custom domains, thanks!

• fanfan Veteran

I had no idea Outlook could do anything with custom domains, thanks!

domains.live.com

• Are you looking for free or paid solutions?

• @Nekki said: I've been wanting to move away from using gmail for a bit now

Why, I wonder?

• @klikli said: Are you looking for free or paid solutions?

Either, obviously free is better, but I'm prepared to pay to get what I want if necessary

@djvdorp said: Why, I wonder?

Privacy concerns.

• why not run your own mail server Nekki? We can help you get it setup. We can help you get openexchange or somethign setup.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Rackspace e-mail hosting is quite nice.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said: Privacy concerns.

@Nekki I suggest what @24khost said. If its a privacy thing, outlook.com and gmail.com are both "others". Get your own tiny server and run your own mail server off of it, and use mozilla thunderbird or outlook for your emails.

Just my thought :P

• How about zoho mail? Most people used it nowadays..

• @24khost said: why not run your own mail server Nekki? We can help you get it setup. We can help you get openexchange or somethign setup.

I'm not comfortable enough in my abilities as a system administrator to manage and maintain a mail server - email is far too important to me to risk screwing it up due to my own lack of knowledge/negligence.

@jarland said: Rackspace e-mail hosting is quite nice.

I'd like to try Rackspace, I'm pretty comfortable with them as a provider as we use them at work for various hosting needs, but they don't do single accounts sadly.

@rsk said: If its a privacy thing, outlook.com and gmail.com are both "others".

I know what you mean, but I'm more comfortable with Microsoft's privacy policies than I am with Google's.

• Rackspace or outlook.

If you are looking for a mail server though, I can set you one up for free.

• tuxtux Member
    edited January 2013

Yandex (Яндекс)

• @curtisg said: If you are looking for a mail server though, I can set you one up for free.

I appreciate the offer, it's the ongoing maintenance that concerns me, which I why I opted for hosted.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm going to try Outlook initially, then I'll check out some of the other hosted suggestions if that doesn't work out.

• You should check out fastmail.fm. You pay them quite a premium but the service is good.

• Rackspace or Codero

• Depending on your mail usage level rollernet.us might be a good deal. They charge for a chunk of space and incoming/outgoing mail volume but there is no limit on the number of mailboxes. Also the detailed level of mail handling options is nice.

• Unlimited domains too.

• japonjapon Member
    edited January 2013

Aside from the normal email provider, can anybody recommend a good MS hosted exchange provider that is not that expensive as rackspace? (Of course with limited ressources, I don't need that much that rackspace provides).

• DeanDean Member
    edited January 2013

@japon - don't be scared by the name, but have you checked out GoDaddy? I've used them before for Exchange. Plus you can get better deals using their promo codes.

• Gandhi?

• @japon maybe OVH

• @tech163 said: maybe OVH

Didn't know that OVH offered hosted exchange. Nice!

• Google Apps. Scared of big bro?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Google's privacy policies are bad. Great idea to move!
    Microsoft is an improvement, but why not just get a cheap dedicated server or VPS and get full control.
    It will be cheaper than an equivalent email hosting solution.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

I use Google Apps with one company, and I really like it, but I know it isn't for everyone. We do our own mail for right now at Catalyst. Looked at Rackspace mail and it looks like it has a lot of great potential as a replacement.

• @ryanarp said: Looked at Rackspace mail and it looks like it has a lot of great potential as a replacement.

We use it and it is FANTASTIC. I really do like it.

• We also use rackspace, have daily blasts for 2k+ users, and it seems fine.

• @yowmamasita said: We also use rackspace, have daily blasts for 2k+ users, and it seems fine.

That violates their AUP/TOS. You can't send more than 200 emails with "like content". That is what their sales people told me when i signed up for their services.

Do you use rackspace exchange to send the emails, or their email newsletter service?