Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode... Openstack? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode... Openstack?

2»

Comments

• a license of what?

• There seems to be an echo in here. :-)

A naive question: if SolusVM development is problematic (as many have said), why not move to OpenStack instead? (Looking at OpenStack's site, OpenStack seems to be actively developed and well-maintained.)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@angstrom said:
    There seems to be an echo in here. :-)

A naive question: if SolusVM development is problematic (as many have said), why not move to OpenStack instead? (Looking at OpenStack's site, OpenStack seems to be actively developed and well-maintained.)

Majority of hosts purchase a cheap leased dedicated server, 10$ solusvm license (for which they enter threads and complain about) and 15$ whmcs license and become the next "revolutionary hosting provider". While SolusVM configuration takes as little as 5 minutes, OpenStack requires much more configuration, network adjustments and some actual knowedge. It's much easier to become a CEO with SolusVM.

Sooner or later we will observe a trend, where most big providers jump off the SolusVM boat and migrate to either something inhouse, or some other panel, possibly even based on openstack and opennebula. And that won't be because SolusVM v2 will never see daylight, it will be because they stoped any active development on the current bugs and issues on v1. For example I wonder how fast they will fix a 0day, if it striked today.

Thanked by 4Lee Falzo angstrom GCat
  • You people are monsters! These days there needs to be a trigger warning for people with abandonment issues.

Just went to the RamNode web site and found a message from August 29th that said the same thing was going to be done in Seattle on Sep 8th. Has nobody there noticed any difference since then?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

They are performing only a network maintenance, why would there be a change? Most likely swapping some network hardware, adding new one or re-configuring existing to be compatible with OpenStack's network requirements.

• LeeLee Veteran

angstrom said: why not move to OpenStack instead?

What @AlexBarakov said above, simplified:

Majority of hosts here do not have the ability.

Thanked by 2AlexBarakov angstrom
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Lee said: Majority of hosts here do not have the ability.

In my case I really hate messing people around, I am not competent enough of a coder to make the modules necessary to bridge the 2 myself and the only people I have found that have created the modules are modulesgarden and that's a horse I decided not to back a while ago.

I actually believed that waiting for solusvm v2 would be a better option, hind sight is always 20/20.

Nick obviously decided solusvm v2 was not a viable option a while back and good on him, always good to see someone else take the plunge first and assess from afar :)

Thanked by 3Lee Infinity switsys
  • didnt ramnode have coders in-house writting their own panel since like 2 years ago or even more?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@apollo15 said:
    didnt ramnode have coders in-house writting their own panel since like 2 years ago or

even more?

Pretty sure they have a developer working for them and have for a while. I'd guess it's based off OpenStack lol.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

OpenStack's API allow you to develop a panel in-house using, which looks better than SolusVM and does many more things.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I think Nick also mentioned something about hourly billing plans, so probably easier to manage that with OpenStack and their own panel as well.

Thanked by 1MikePT