Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

exim4 ISP blocks port 25
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

exim4 ISP blocks port 25

corpuscorpus Member
edited January 2013 in Help

Hello
i have a debian 6 vps with a provider who blocks port 25
i want to configure exim4 to use port 587
until now i put in /etc/default/exim4
SMTPLISTENEROPTIONS='-oX 587:465:25 -oP /var/run/exim4/exim.pid'
restart exim and try to send mail with no luck
the logs shows:
2013-01-08 21:50:07 1TsfBX-0003VL-Mr <= [email protected] U=corpus P=local S=475 [email protected] 2013-01-08 21:50:28 1TsfBX-0003VL-Mr alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.71.26] Connection timed out 2013-01-08 21:50:28 1TsfBX-0003VL-Mr == [email protected] R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out

what iam doing wrong?
any help will be usefull

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Just ask them if they'll enable 25 for you. I know several providers block the port by default and then open it on request.

• no they cant. they told me to use port 587 (submission)
    but i dont know if port 587 can be used as 25 or only for using with a smarthost

• From Debian Wiki:

Some ISP may block connecting to port 25, and also some broken clients insist TLS on Port 465.

To support these, change /etc/default/exim4 as:

SMTPLISTENEROPTIONS='-oX 465:25 -oP /var/run/exim4/exim.pid'

Also edit /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template:

#

main/03_exim4-config_tlsoptions

#

tls_on_connect_ports=465

main/03_exim4-config_tlsoptions

#
  • corpuscorpus Member
    edited January 2013

@dedicados did these allready
    i had before SMTPLISTENEROPTIONS='-oX 465:25 -oP /var/run/exim4/exim.pid'
    with same results
    thanks

i can receive mails normally but i can't send

• try another different port.

• Is your ISP blocking port 25 or your VPS provider?

Are you unable to send from your computer (ie. Outlook) to your VPS' mailserver, or from the VPS to the internet?

• hello george
    The vps provider
    I can΄t send mails from vps to internet

• I think they may be doing that to stop some sort of abuse.

• "R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out"

look in your logfiles and then search google for that phrase and start reading. :)

You also might want to try telneting to localhost port 587 and seeing if you can access it.

• Wouldn't it be easier to move to a provider that doesn't block port 25?

• klikliklikli Member
    edited January 2013

If a provider blocks outgoing port 25, there is no "real solution". Even if your client (eg Outlook, Thunderbird) could connect via alternative ports, outgoing mails have still be sent via port 25 to the destination MTA (okay, some could be reached via TLS/SSL but most of them don't)

As per your log, your MTA caught your mail, attempted to transfer, however there was no success and it even attempted to send to a MX that is prioritized as 30.

• the only solution is to use gmail to send emails with my esim server
    so i followed this tutorial http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4 and all is ok now
    thanks to all

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited January 2013

Do you want exim to accept mail from the public, or only from your own mail programs? Because if port 25 is blocked by your ISP's firewall, you cannot have your domain's MX records point to your server and expect incoming mail deliveries to come in on a port other than 25.

If you want exim to listen on a port other than 25 for your own mail clients to use, that should work out fine. Set "daemon_smtp_ports" in your exim configuration file (my CentOS exim build uses /etc/exim/exim.conf but your may be different, run "exim -bV" to see your config file). My exim listens on some alternate ports, so if I'm at a coffee shop or friend's house where the ISP blocks outbound port 25, my mail clients can still connect to my mail server on one of the other ports it listens on.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited January 2013

Actually, I just re-read your original post and I think you want to use your exim to relay all its mail to another place? Is that right? if you want your exim to relay all its outbound mail through another mail server that is listening on a port other than 25 (say port 465 in this example), use something like this.

In the "begin routers" section of your conf file, as the first entry, use

smart_host_relay:
    driver = manualroute
    transport = remote_smtp
    route_list = * my-relay-mail-server-hostname

Then in the "begin transports" section of your conf file, define "remote_smtp"

remote_smtp:
    driver = smtp
    port = 465
    hosts_require_tls = *
    hosts_require_auth = *

This example routes all outbound mail through "my-relay-mail-server-hostname" on port 465 using tls/ssl, so you'd have to also setup ssl keys, or leave off the "require_tls/auth" to do unsecure if the relay host can do unsecure relays.

• @jon617 i allready fixed this
    see my previous post
    thanks for your tips