Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple cPanel slaves under WHM masters (cPanel Cloud)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Multiple cPanel slaves under WHM masters (cPanel Cloud)

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
edited October 2016 in General

Hi all! I've just opened a feature request on cPanel.

Django, Nodejs, etc... are not a option in the current way cPanel is developing his software.

We need a new design based in master and slaves. This will permit to create a Django slave or a Nodejs slave without security issues that is the main restriction in the current design.

In order to make road cPanel to a Cloud solution will be interesting 
a integration with a WHM master and multiple cPanel slaves, 
each slave running different services, for example, 
a slave with Apache and other slave for nodejs.

This will give more possibilities to manage different services in 
different VPSs (salves) wich produce a simplies way to increase 
our portfolio services and optimize our infraestructures.

if you think that this is a good road, please, vote the request here: https://features.cpanel.net/topic/multiple-cpanel-slaves-under-whm-masters-cpanel-cloud

Also, what do you think about?

Thanks!!!

Thanked by 3racksx MikePT Shazan

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

I've seen a HA solution for cPanel (not official), literally stuck together with glue and tape. Nothing I would use for a real solution/project.

I do not think that having a slave for each service is the ideal way, but if they implement a real HA solution, then that would be a plus.

Thanked by 2racksx WSS
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

With this request, we tell the option to install services that in the current way cPanel is developing the panel, are not a option.

High availability is other thing... you can consider to open a new feature request asking for HA.

Edit: Also, if you want HA, I recommend you to focus in a infraestructure solution, for example, Proxmox give you HA for free. Just install cPanel in a HA Proxmox.

• I do agree with @rsk, a HA will do the job.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Yeah they'll never do this.

They did something this complex with their encompass control panel (cPanel for Windows) and it was a complete nightmare to manage and ridiculously expensive due to license costs. Infact there was even a 'per user' cost in it.

There's ways to make it HA with some failovers, but it'd have to be external to cPanel itself.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Foul Lee

I know my english is not good, but, in what moment I said in the topic the term "high availability"?? . Seems nobody understand my request...

@racksx said:
    I do agree with @rsk, a HA will do the job.

Or you don't know what is HA or you don't understand the feature request... both are completly different things...

@jmginer said:
    I know my english is not good, but, in what moment I said in the topic the term "high availability"?? . Seems nobody understand my request...

@racksx said:
    I do agree with @rsk, a HA will do the job.

Or you don't know what is HA or you don't understand the feature request... both are completly different things...

You want clustering where you can just add more webservers and they all work together for the same work load, right? Not going to happen with cPanel.

Francisco

edited October 2016

@Francisco said:
    You want clustering where you can just add more webservers and they all work together for the same work load, right?

No

A simil about what I want, can be SolusVM.

A centralized master to manage multiple slaves, and some salves running OpneVZ, others KVM, others Xen... etc...

In cPanel, the same, but instead of OpenVZ, KVM, Xen, change to Apache, Nodejs, Django... and a lot of more services.

Currently, cPanel permits somehing like this, related with MySQL, you can add remote MySQL servers... so, this is a consideration to start understanding the request, adding, for example, a NodeJS slave.

If you need as you said multiple slaves working on the same work load, you need a load balancer, Ok, this will be good, but is a different request. Nothing related about what we are talking...

• luissousaluissousa Member
    edited October 2016

So you're basically asking cPanel to stop being cPanel, a web hosting manager and start being a cloud management software. Claps

OK but you aren't going to have multiple people running inside of the same NodeJS process, it isn't like that.

cPanel supports nodejs...sortof...in Softaculous, where they run a nodejs instance as the user (with a cron based restart) and Apache does a (.*) rewrite rule to point it to the random port the NodeJS process was started with.

Cloudlinux supports django via the Python selector, assuming you use Apache instead of Litespeed. Same goes for Ruby. I've never used it since we're a litespeed shop, but i'm assuming it isn't garbage.

If you're wanting to write your own control panel for cPanel be aware that you're going to have a lot of pain/suffering unless you're 1:1 feature set wise with cPanel (resellers, softaculous like system, etc) and that you can also import cPanel accounts.

Really what you originally described sounds like you want some way to 'cluster' things or at least introduce a way to horizontal scale things ("Apache is running like ass, spin up another instance behind an LB and have at it son"). Again, cPanel won't support this, the best you can do is some janky stuff with VM's.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Foul

@luissousa said:
    So you're basically asking cPanel to stop being cPanel, a web hosting manager and start being a cloud management software. Claps

Basically yes. I would not say stop. Would say evolve.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Voted anyway.

@luissousa said:

That's true though.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Look into ISPmanager. Testing it right now for the first time. It has a cluster feature where you designate specific roles for each server. I'm not sure how effective or useful that is, doesn't seem to offer redundancy as far as I can tell, but does allow separation of roles via cluster.

@jarland said:
    Look into ISPmanager. Testing it right now for the first time. It has a cluster feature where you designate specific roles for each server. I'm not sure how effective or useful that is, doesn't seem to offer redundancy as far as I can tell, but does allow separation of roles via cluster.

Yeah, this is the road.

edited October 2016

Plesk has also launched something similar called Plesk Multi Server

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

We have built cPanel HA solutions using MariaDB galera and gluster for the file system. Works very well with a load balancer in front.

edited March 2017

@leapswitch said:
    We have built cPanel HA solutions using MariaDB galera and gluster for the file system. Works very well with a load balancer in front.

Ok, but this is not related with this topic.

As a server administrator I would like to see cPanel duplicate what is has done with DNSOnly with additional services, such as Mail Only, Web Only, MySQL Only, allowing me to treat these servers as slaves and allowing them to be managed from a single cPanel & WHM parent server. From my perspective, this would also make it easier for cPanel & WHM to evolve into a more scalable CloudHosting solution.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

Why are you guys still using cPanel? Plesk is far superior in every aspect.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

@nik said:

Well, that would be because 9.9/10 Customers asks for cPanel hosting account ?
    Over the entire 2016 I had precisely 0 mentions for Plesk neither for shared/vps or a dedicated server.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • I also agree that it is the customers that demand cPanel but Ive also been testing ISPConfig since a couple of months and it is in fact very cool, "light-weigth" and also offers multiserver support, to e.g. host a seperated mysql server which is pretty cool for a "free panel". I've also given some of the more "techy" managed customers of mine access to it and they are happy with it just using basic features such as DNS, Domains/Subdomains, FTP, Databases, Crons, chroot and easy backups :P

The only thing that is stopping me from using ISPConfig in an actual production environment is the fact that automated provisioning is not yet supported aside from an outdated(?!) plugin for whmcs, potential security risks, and the fact that people would think "this is a cheap host because it uses a free cp" like @doughmanes pointed out in a recent discussion :P That being said I really hope for it to step up reputation wise as it has a great community support with howtoforge and is being actively developed.

Thanked by 2doughmanes Jorbox
  • WSSWSS Member

@nik said:

I loved Plesk. That was enough for me to know it was never going to "make it".

@Francisco said:
    OK but you aren't going to have multiple people running inside of the same NodeJS process, it isn't like that.

Can't we just ban hipster coders already?

Thanked by 2Francisco Hxxx
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

Voted for it.
    I would be happy if they provide a mail only version at least, seems very helpful to separate mail from the other services nowadays.