Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

netcup nice offer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

netcup nice offer

Hey leb-ians,

found an interesting offer, maybe some of you could need it. Thats why netcup deserves my respect (greetings to @BlazingServers)

kvm

2 cores

6 GB ram

640 GB SAS hdd

snapshots, own isos, 3 months contract

8€/months

https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1547

and here you can generate a 5€ coupon (only for new customers :D )

https://www.netcup-gutscheincode.de/

Comments

• It was an excellent, perfect offer.

• nice offer

• Can someone please remind me if NetCup require ID verification?

• stasistasi Member
    edited October 2016

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    Can someone please remind me if NetCup require ID verification?

wait let me check, but they need a sms verifcation for sure.

couldnt find something in the tos (agb). maybe for foreigners they will apply an id verification I am not sure.

for german citizens they ask for a sms verfication, as mentioned before.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I wonder do they remove VAT for people outside of the EU? Should be 6.47 instead of 8 EUR then.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • must... resist... damn.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • I, at my turn, wonder do they mean 2 physical dedicated cores, or logical ones :)

• "No additional fees are charged for traffic to and from your root server / vServer (VPS). On average, you will have 200 Mbit/s of bandwidth available, assuming that your root server / vServer (VPS) has a 1 Gbit/s network card. If your server uses up an average bandwidth of over 80 Mbit/s for more than 15 minutes, then the root server's / vServer's (VPS) network connection may be throttled back to avoid disadvantaging other customers. We can also offer you dedicated network cards with guaranteed bandwidth. Please contact our Support for details."

they also want 2 euros extra if you want to do nested virtualization.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

The €5 coupon doesn't take anything off, it's taking off the setup fee only and the setup fee is €0.

Looks like you need to set a reminder to cancel early if you're not keeping it.

If your contract is due to expire in 31 days and we have not heard from you by then, your contract will be extended by the specified contractual term or by 12 months, whichever is the shorter.

• Butters said: they also want 2 euros extra if you want to do nested virtualization.

where did you get that from? as I ordered a server for testing purposes back in april this wasn't an option (not even on request) and was the reason I didn't kept it.

out of curiosity ordered the above offer... without knowing to what use. damn, I hate this place. ;-)

• ehabehab Member
    edited October 2016

better not @Amitz see this offer.

i almost ordered this until couldn't get cancellation policy read in last screen before order.

• Good provider with nice offers, I grabbed 6GB/2core/120GB SSD offer for €72/yr back in January.

• hello @mehargags , long time no speak! tell us some benchmarks :) with server above if you still have?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ehab said: better not @Amitz see this offer.

I am sitting in front of the screen. Sweating. My hands are shaking. Bugs are crawling all over me. I... must... resist... The 80 Mbps/15min restriction helps a lot. However... Still sweating. ;)

• Netcup is Great though :) When I was with them everything went smooth. My ID was being verifiedm

• We are sorry to inform you that we are not able to validate your personal data on
    an electronic way. This may depend on a non existent telephone directory entry,
    or your IP address does not fit with your postal address.

If you are not living in Germany we have to demand on a payment in advance for the
    first invoice.

Please place a payment in advance so that we can proceed with your order. Send the following amount of 18.97 Euro (including VAT) by standard bank transfer to the following bank account:
    A payment in advance by Paypal is not possible.

• @Falzo said:
    where did you get that from? as I ordered a server for testing purposes back in april this wasn't an option (not even on request) and was the reason I didn't kept it.

out of curiosity ordered the above offer... without knowing to what use. damn, I hate this place. ;-)

Source: https://forum.netcup.de/netcup-intern/fragen-vor-dem-kauf/8184-nested-virtualization-in-root-vserver-g7-nun-moeglich/

• Amitz said: The 80 Mbps/15min restriction helps a lot

Agree. Thanks @Butters for bringing that restriction to our attention.

• Do they offer additional IPs or /28 subnet and at what price?

• @mtsbatalha said:
    We are sorry to inform you that we are not able to validate your personal data on
    an electronic way. This may depend on a non existent telephone directory entry,
    or your IP address does not fit with your postal address.

If you are not living in Germany we have to demand on a payment in advance for the
    first invoice.

Please place a payment in advance so that we can proceed with your order. Send the following amount of 18.97 Euro (including VAT) by standard bank transfer to the following bank account:
    A payment in advance by Paypal is not possible.

It's a really shit.

• I wonder if they're using a bunch of old 320gb SAS drives. That would be swell for iops.

I thank the lowend-addiction gods for that 80mbit restriction.

hugs my online.net c2750 ssd limited

Thanked by 1ehab
  • thx, worth mentioning that it is said there nested virt will cost 2€ per month and core, so if you go for a 4 core server this will result in 8€ more.. not that interesting as you would also need to pay for additional IPs and such. for this price its easier to book another server (probably intended).

back to topic, geekbench for the actual special offer:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/8086227

dd results differ a lot, seen numbers between 250MB/s and nearly 1GB/s but that may heavily depend on underlying caching and hardware raid...

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=64k conv=fdatasync
    4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 7.0341 s, 611 MB/s

# ioping -c 10 .
    --- . (ext4 /dev/sda3) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9.01 s, 2.69 k iops, 10.5 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 155 us / 372 us / 753 us / 153 us

probably going to run the bench script of @K4Y5 twice now which may pull around 7GB each turn and also may take some time to check on that BW limitation thing (80Mbps/15min roughly equals 9GB if I am not mistaken ;-))

Thanked by 2vimalware ehab
  • @mtsbatalha said:

maybe transferwise is an option for this? https://transferwise.com

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • nfnnfn Veteran

They are good. I'm using them for 6 months now and they have very solid servers.
    You can see my first impressions here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/82223/netcup-eu-first-impressions-for-root-server-m-ssd-iv6

Just had a minor network problem for some minutes a month ago for all this time.

The first payment must be made by bank transfer, the next ones can be made using paypal. They didn't ask for any id.

Thanked by 1gabriell
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited October 2016

@Falzo said:

thx, worth mentioning that it is said there nested virt will cost 2€ per month and core, so if you go for a 4 core server this will result in 8€ more.. not that interesting as you would also need to pay for additional IPs and such. for this price its easier to book another server (probably intended).

back to topic, geekbench for the actual special offer:

dd results differ a lot, seen numbers between 250MB/s and nearly 1GB/s but that may heavily depend on underlying caching and hardware raid...

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=64k conv=fdatasync
    > 4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 7.0341 s, 611 MB/s
    > 
    > # ioping -c 10 .
    > --- . (ext4 /dev/sda3) ioping statistics ---
    > 10 requests completed in 9.01 s, 2.69 k iops, 10.5 MiB/s
    > min/avg/max/mdev = 155 us / 372 us / 753 us / 153 us
    > 

probably going to run the bench script of @K4Y5 twice now which may pull around 7GB each turn and also may take some time to check on that BW limitation thing (80Mbps/15min roughly equals 9GB if I am not mistaken ;-))

Netcup, hah!

I tried buying a VPS to test it out a couple of months back. Turns out, I wasn't from Germany, so they wanted me to pay in advance, that too via bank transfer.

So, I politely asked them to fuck off, and took my business to Virtwire**

As for that ServerBench test, I am thinking about enhancing it a bit, and providing an option so that people can test speeds based on specific geographical locations. Hopefully, that should save people some bandwidth and provide results they're actually interested in.

I, personally, was interested in getting a good idea about global connectivity of the servers that I use. Hence, the bloated list of test files totaling a cool 7 GBs (the LET standard!) :P

** No, not really. I just blew that money on a few SP-64 boxes that @Falzo told us about.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited October 2016

@ehab,
    Yes this is a production server for me.

Processor       : Westmere E56xx/L56xx/X56xx (Nehalem-C)
    CPU Cores       : 2
    Frequency       : 2493.750 MHz
    Memory          : 5983 MB
    Swap            : 2049 MB
    OS              : Debian GNU/Linux 8

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          4.68MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       6.07MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       7.31MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       6.26MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       14.3MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          8.27MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       8.05MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         52.4MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        3.91MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 429 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 398 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 563 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 463.333 MB/s

Thanked by 1ehab
  • nfnnfn Veteran
    edited October 2016

Falzo said: geekbench for the actual special offer:

Looks like the same hardware from April, but with some differences:

April: Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3 @ 2.30 GHz 1 processor, 2 threads
    Single Core Score: 2695
    Multi Core Score: 5050

October: Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3 @ 2.30 GHz 2 processors
    Single Core Score: 2317
    Multi Core Score: 4435

I'm curious about the new specs: E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz :)

Thanked by 1hawkjohn7
  • @nfn said:

Looks like the same hardware from April, but with some differences:

April: Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3 @ 2.30 GHz 1 processor, 2 threads
    Single Core Score: 2695
    Multi Core Score: 5050

October: Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3 @ 2.30 GHz 2 processors
    Single Core Score: 2317
    Multi Core Score: 4435

I'm curious about the new specs: E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz :)

can't recall exactly and being just to lazy to look it up in the old thread ;-)
    thought I had tested the 4 vcore version with 12 GB back then, but may be wrong.

by now I pulled some backup files of around 80 GB at steady 250 Mbps onto this box. so far no limitation at all. going to push them onto another box to see if it depends on traffic direction. or maybe it is simply a 'maybe' term on traffic usage which is a.) not defined in their tos b.) worded some time back and simply not changed to more fitting rules c.) there to easily get rid of abusers/torrenters/whatever causes much enduring traffic consumption.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2016

Listen, @Falzo... This 80 Mbps/15min. restriction is that thin piece of paper between my brain keeping control and my passion going crazy. Don't take it away by finding out that it's just a "maybe clause". Please. With sugar on top. Pleeeeeaaaase... ;)

Thanked by 3Falzo ehab vimalware
  • they even throttled freifunk (mesh) networks in germany.