Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a little help (free vps opportunity)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a little help (free vps opportunity)

edited January 2013 in General

It's our first run with Hostbill, so we need a little time to gain familiarity with it and decide if it is best for our business.

As part of this we are prepared to offer free 256mb and 512mb OpenVZ plans for users in both Chicago and Dallas.

Please note, these VPS are purely to help us test and come with no kind of SLA and are subject to immediate suspension following any kind of abuse. We expect to run these for 14 days and will offer support via support ticket on them (no guaranteed response time). We are fully aware of issues with website navigation/content. However would you like you to post any problems you encounter via support ticket.

If signing up for these services, please expect there to be plenty of errors/bugs. This is what we need a little help ironing out. Please also note we have some network upgrades for the next two weeks so expect some downtime.

All orders will be manually provisioned.

256mb and 512mb plans available, please choose what you think you need. 60 Total VPS available.

https://my.shardhost.com

Use discount code: thanksforhelping at checkout.

Comments

• Thank you I just requested one. Is PPP enabled?

• @sandro said: Thank you I just requested one. Is PPP enabled?

On some nodes, not all. If you find it not, simply open a ticket and we can enable. We added a few pure test nodes into the mix with a slightly altered hardware specification. These nodes are unlikely to have PPP enabled. I'll ensure it is addressed anyways over the weekend.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I can't seem to get past the Product Configuration page in the signup. It just keeps going back to it.

• edited January 2013

@trewq said: I can't seem to get past the Product Configuration page in the signup. It just keeps going back to it.

>

Are you adding the coupon code to the floating box on the right? If so, do not add there, click continue and then add the coupon on the final stage.

We've had this bug reported. Not sure if its an issue with hostbill or our template at the moment.

• @ShardHost said: On some nodes, not all. If you find it not, simply open a ticket and we can enable. We added a few pure test nodes into the mix with a slightly altered hardware specification. These nodes are unlikely to have PPP enabled. I'll ensure it is addressed anyways over the weekend.

Thank you. I just need a US based VPS to test this VPN method, in exchange I'll help you with whatever feedback you might need. How long do you think they'll be active for free?

• @sandro said: Thank you. I just need a US based VPS to test this VPN method, in exchange I'll help you with whatever feedback you might need. How long do you think they'll be active for free?

They will be free until our testing of hostbill is complete and our network is upgraded in the Dallas location. We expect a minimum of 14 days with a possibility of a month.

• @sandro We expect to run these for 14 days and will offer support via support ticket on them (no guaranteed response time).

• OK. I received my details though my server IP seems to be in the UK? Plus is there a control panel to check if ppp can be enabled?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@ShardHost said: Are you adding the coupon code to the floating box on the right? If so, do not add there, click continue and then add the coupon on the final stage.

Yeah, that's what I did. I'll try again

• @sandro said: OK. I received my details though my server IP seems to be in the UK? Plus is there a control panel to check if ppp can be enabled?

IP Whois entries are set up to our office in the UK.

The control panel (solusvm) is accessible from within the client area. Click on the product, then the link titled "SolusVM Control Panel"

You may also access it directly here: https://vscp.shardhost.com (self signed cert)

• I'm definitely hopping in to try it out, I'm in need of a 256MB VPS for testing.

• @HardWareGuy said: I'm definitely hopping in to try it out, I'm in need of a 256MB VPS for testing.

Please feel free

• After adding the discount code:

"The domain you entered is in the wrong format"

However it does apply the coupon. Just this has nothing to do with domains.

• Bandwidth limit says 250MB... which I promptly will eat up updating debian lol

• sandrosandro Member
    edited January 2013

I think I am in one node (Chicago 3) without PPP

after enabling it:

root@livewinter:~# cat /dev/ppp

cat: /dev/ppp: No such file or directory

the fact that IPs whois are the UK does it mean that services like Netflix will see the IP in the UK as well?

• @HardWareGuy said: Bandwidth limit says 250MB... which I promptly will eat up updating debian lol

Where does it say this? Both Solus and the Hosbill description are set to 250gb

• @Ishaq said: After adding the discount code:

"The domain you entered is in the wrong format"

However it does apply the coupon. Just this has nothing to do with domains.

Groovy. At what point did this occur? Thanks btw

• @ShardHost said: Where does it say this? Both Solus and the Hosbill description are set to 250gb

My activation email says 500MB :)

• Disk Limit: 10 GB
    Bandwidth Limit: 250 MB
    The email must have powers error. lol

• Hm, and why is address 2 mandatory?

• Didn't sign up but your HB requires a "Address 2 *", not everyone has a 2nd address line. You should be able to edit registration fields under "Clients" tab in HB admin I think.

• @ShardHost said: Groovy. At what point did this occur? Thanks btw

You're welcome. It happens right after submitting the coupon code.

• @Ishaq said: Hm, and why is address 2 mandatory?

@Patrick said: Didn't sign up but your HB requires a "Address 2 *", not everyone has a 2nd address line. You should be able to edit registration fields under "Clients" tab in HB admin I think.

Fixed, thanks.

• edited January 2013

@sandro said: My activation email says 500MB :)

@HardWareGuy said: Disk Limit: 10 GB

Bandwidth Limit: 250 MB
    The email must have powers error. lol

The MB an GB values are static in the email template. Now fixed.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited January 2013

@Isaq said:It happens right after submitting the coupon code.

It also happened to me. I found that on the first screen, the hostname need to be completed with the domain name. On the following steps, the domain name could be removed and Hostbill will accept the bare hostname.

On the customer account details screen, the mandatory State field should be named State/Province. In many countries there are no states. On whmcs, this field will autocomplete with the province names on my country.

The all-caps new order confirmation email does not list the host name; this will be a useful information. I suggest to add the keyword "Confirmation" on the e-mail subject, this will be useful for searching on my inbox.

• akeraker Member
    edited January 2013

try it
    ORDER NUMBER: 995373130

• got one...

• Ordered one too.

• the template is not good anyway, I dont know how it looks like if a customer has 50 VPS or more.

• @tinyray said: the template is not good anyway, I dont know how it looks like if a customer has 50 VPS or more.

Hi there, to what part are you referring?