Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$50 free signup credit 'Cloudways' managed cloud vps hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$50 free signup credit 'Cloudways' managed cloud vps hosting

mycosysmycosys Member
edited September 2016 in General

Managed web hosting on one of a number of platforms (DO, Vultr, AWS, GC, Kyup)
Cheapestr plan is $5/m DO 512MB/200G/1T instance so 10m free.
Need to enter a credit card to verify, buyt they say you ae not charged.

https://platform.cloudways.com/signup?coupon=WPMUDEV

Might be handy to someone
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/267971

Comments

• Looks like you are only allowed to run WP, Drupal and things of that nature on this. Or is this what 'manged hosting' is about?

• @chinmoy said:
    is this what 'manged hosting' is about?

It is a fully managed server. You can run just about any web app on it, for dev or production, and there are a number of platforms they support managing themselves on which you can build. For people who just want to deal with the web code side, not the server admin. Differs from shared hosting in the dedicated virtual machine/resources.

• @mycosys said:

@chinmoy said:
    is this what 'manged hosting' is about?

It is a fully managed server. You can run just about any web app on it, for dev or production, and there are a number of platforms they support managing themselves on which you can build. For people who just want to deal with the web code side, not the server admin. Differs from shared hosting in the dedicated virtual machine/resources.

Everytime I wanted to create a server, it won't let me move forward unless I selected wp or some other app. How can I just about anything on it?

• chinmoy said: Everytime I wanted to create a server, it won't let me move forward unless I selected wp or some other app. How can I just about anything on it?

Ur limited to php based it seems, but i would suggest choose PHP or one of the PHP dev environments

• Seems it comes with an affiliate link - so i guess it would be rather cool of people if they felt like using it, and i would be grateful for free server time XD
    https://www.cloudways.com/en/?id=76319

• StevieStevie Member
    edited September 2016

@mycosys
    I signed up and right after i put my email and coupon code I get this:
    Almost There

It seem we could not get your account verified. No worries, though!
    Just get it activated by starting LIVE CHAT now.

So I am talking to live chat and they are asking me what type of application I want to run - how the hell am i suppose to know if I cant see what they offer. I thought they meant wordpress or something and they say "we support php applications" so I am like ok php then - this is freak en weird.

Edit now they are asking for what domain I am going to use, I told them forget it I don't want to sign up, I don't want to answer a million questions.

• @Stevie said:
    @mycosys
    I signed up and right after i put my email and coupon code I get this:
    Almost There

It seem we could not get your account verified. No worries, though!
    Just get it activated by starting LIVE CHAT now.

So I am talking to live chat and they are asking me what type of application I want to run - how the hell am i suppose to know if I cant see what they offer. I thought they meant wordpress or something and they say "we support php applications" so I am like ok php then - this is freak en weird.

Edit now they are asking for what domain I am going to use, I told them forget it I don't want to sign up, I don't want to answer a million questions.

weird as - same thing happened to me on signup and they didnt ask anything just effectivey said check your email and the auth link was there.

• @Stevie said:

Just had a thought - were you on VPN too? Thats often triggers anti-fraid mechanisms

• Nope I always use my home connection when signing up

• @Jarland you wouldnt happen to know somoeone who could give an opinion of these guys given they use your infra?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

cloudways.... I remember when I was a mod, it was like a full time job keeping their shills out of here, shady people.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

On Signup page: NO CREDIT CARD NEEDED

Then why need credit card?

• @DewlanceVPS said:

You dont need a card to sign up genius, you need it to get the $50 credit free

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

They accept PayPal?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

mycosys said: you wouldnt happen to know somoeone who could give an opinion of these guys given they use your infra?

I can tell you from this side I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone to use them. You've gotta be a bit more than just a customer of the company I work for to say that. I really like their unique approach to managed Wordpress while still providing significant access, not to mention clearly the lowest price around for that kind of service.

Downside is you can install any plugin you want. Which means you can screw up your Wordpress just the same as you can when you manage it yourself. Upside is someone is there to have your back.

Thanked by 1mycosys
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2016

@DewlanceVPS said:

@mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

They accept PayPal?

Let me clarify (._.): they accept credit/debit cards, but you don't need to enter your details at signup for the trial. If you want to continue, you enter your CC information.

eek, how hard was it to read the page yourself?

Thanked by 1mycosys
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Meh. I've had to report their shills so, so many times, I wouldn't even consider them a legitimate company.

Thanked by 3AnthonySmith hzr netomx
  • joepie91 said: Meh. I've had to report their shills so, so many times, I wouldn't even consider them a legitimate company.

Same. Reddit, WHT, LET, HN, nonstop shill, fake review, etc.

They've been doing this on LET for well over a year this point.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1379159/#Comment_1379159

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/56958/a-shill-post

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1636205/#Comment_1636205

• another estupido

Thanked by 1netomx
    edited September 2016

@joepie91 said:
    Meh. I've had to report their shills so, so many times, I wouldn't even consider them a legitimate company.

You sure it's not affiliates?

Edit: No it's not. That sucks.

• jarland said: You sure it's not affiliates?

There's pretty much no way it's affiliates. No aff links, generic mentions, no referral codes, and the most prolific one is

Thanked by 1jar
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

jarland said: You sure it's not affiliates?

Edit: No it's not. That sucks.

Honestly when I was a mod I must have removed about 30 accounts here, as soon as I started removing them they started up with a vengeance with more, @joepie91 pointed it out to begin with.

Personally I would not trust them as a result with my money or data.

They played the long game every time, like asking for a VPS that meets XYZ requirements, having full conversations with people then eventually saying they settled with cloudways and putting some little shill review at the end.

Thanked by 2jar joepie91

AnthonySmith said: Honestly when I was a mod I must have removed about 30 accounts here

That sucks. Now that you mention it I think I do recall removing one myself. Been a while. Perhaps mostly show up when mentioned. So should be right about....