Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats going on with IPv6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats going on with IPv6?

Why have the lowend providers stopped providing usable IPv6 address ranges? I mean most say they give you a /80 or /64 address prefix but then limit you to a few addresses within that range. I mean granted if you are not routing the addresses then one address might suffice but openvpn wants a /112 prefix and starts from ::1000 (ie doesn't like leading zeros).

Comments

• I heard ColoCrossing offered free IPv6!

• Free shmee. Do you know how many addresses there are in 128 - 112 bits? 65000. I just don't want to have to go to some stupid web interface and then manually add addresses etc.

• @EricB said:
    I heard ColoCrossing offered free IPv6!

I heard that no one uses IPv6, they're worthless numbers. /jks, that's the ColoCrossing way!

• I think IPv6 is no longer fashionable.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2016

chander said: the lowend providers stopped providing usable IPv6 address ranges

What is your source on that? Name at least five which used to provide usable IPv6 address ranges, but then stopped.

In any case, just get the currently running Online.net special for 11 EUR and enjoy you own /48, not bothering with any of those silly "lowend providers" anymore.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

We offer /48 or /64 without limits, with one time fee

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

I don't think OpenVZ allows a one line subnet addition on venet which I'm pretty sure is still highly relevant to most providers here. Adding a /64 one by one means impossibly long container boot, if it doesn't break it completely.

Thanked by 2Jacob linuxthefish
  • we offer only one 1ipv6 by default. But if any /64 request, we still will give it without any fee.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:
    I don't think OpenVZ allows a one line subnet addition on venet which I'm pretty sure is still highly relevant to most providers here. Adding a /64 one by one means impossibly long container boot, if it doesn't break it completely.

Bingo bango. You'll need to use veth or just bind each IP. We're wanting to start including a routed subnet with each instance but we'll likely have to just restrict that to KVM's.

Francisco

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@jarland said:

Bingo bango. You'll need to use veth or just bind each IP. We're wanting to start including a routed subnet with each instance but we'll likely have to just restrict that to KVM's.

Francisco

And to add to this, in my experience OpenVZ acts really weird when you start getting multiple VPSs with over 256 IPs assigned to it on the same node. We've had a lot of clients spam the "add more" button until the node broke so now we have a limit per VPS on how many IPv6 each one can have even though they get a whole /64 for themselves.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@KuJoe said:

@Francisco said:

@jarland said:

Francisco

And to add to this, in my experience OpenVZ acts really weird when you start getting multiple VPSs with over 256 IPs assigned to it on the same node. We've had a lot of clients spam the "add more" button until the node broke so now we have a limit per VPS on how many IPv6 each one can have even though they get a whole /64 for themselves.

Yep, you can end up with the node sitting there telling ssh to restart for each and every IP so it takes forever. You can get it to work faster by pooling all the -ipadd calls into a single command but even then it's still iffy.

So long OpenVZ.

Francisco

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@KuJoe said:

@Francisco said:

@jarland said:

Francisco

Yep, you can end up with the node sitting there telling ssh to restart for each and every IP so it takes forever. You can get it to work faster by pooling all the -ipadd calls into a single command but even then it's still iffy.

So long OpenVZ.

Francisco

The only issue I had was with the "vzlist" command, it wouldn't load the complete list if there were too many IPs assigned to a single VPS which was weird because I was just using "-a" and not "-at" but it still broke it.