Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choopa/Vultr/Constant Network - Still getting DDoS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Choopa/Vultr/Constant Network - Still getting DDoS?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Is Choopa and/or their subsidiaries still getting hit by a DDoS attack? Is anyone else still seeing crazy packet loss of around 5-10%?

From what I can see, their NJ, SG and JP locations are all affected.

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Not from what I have seen, I have servers at most of their locations.

--- nj.monitor.x3b.org ping statistics ---
    16 packets transmitted, 16 received, 0% packet loss, time 15016ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 74.397/74.605/75.043/0.218 ms

--- tokyo.monitor.x3b.org ping statistics ---
    16 packets transmitted, 16 received, 0% packet loss, time 15024ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 108.752/108.883/109.202/0.449 ms

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Strange. I've been pinging several JP servers (not my own) at Vultr and I've been getting consistent 4% packet loss. Their NJ location seems to have stabilized and no packet loss in the last hour.

SG was much better at around 1%.

Strange.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Wouldn't recommend Vultr to anyone; they closed account for reporting a problem with their platform, didn't even acknowledge the problem and in replying back they redacted the subject line which incl. the problem so as not to let me screenshot the joke that is Vultr for all to see.

Pavin Joseph.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Feel free to ping mine for a comparison.

I'm guessing though its your route.

• my sites are up on NL pop

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Try pinging them with a global ping test tool. With the size of the DDoS hitting them I'd suspect that the packet loss would be very route dependent -- some routes more affected than others.

• @mailcheap: what's the Vultr bug you've found?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

mailcheap said: Wouldn't recommend Vultr to anyone; they closed account for reporting a problem with their platform, didn't even acknowledge the problem and in replying back they redacted the subject line which incl. the problem so as not to let me screenshot the joke that is Vultr for all to see.

Pavin Joseph.

That all sounds a bit one sided, feel free to elaborate.

• smansman Member
    edited September 2016

I think they are still getting hit but the outages are a lot shorter. So they are probably getting better at mitigating. My guess is that the attacks are moving around to different IP blocks looking for more weaknesses.

I see this event as a good thing just like I did when Linode had that big attack. They now know where their weaknesses are and will work to correct it. It also makes their network engineers better at dealing with these things.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

@sman said:
    I think they are still getting hit but the outages are a lot shorter. So they are probably getting better at mitigating. My guess is that the attacks are moving around to different IP blocks looking for more weaknesses.

I'm not usually an optimist but I see this event as a good thing just like I did when Linode had that big attack. They now know where their weaknesses are and will work to correct it. It also makes their network engineers better at dealing with these things.

Given that OVH seems to have been the only party to get out of this endeavour mostly unscathed, that might finally "inspire" some other providers to adopt a similar network-wide mitigation system...

• smansman Member
    edited September 2016

OVH does come out of this looking pretty good I have to say. Unfortunately their plans and locations just don't seem to work for me. The things I have heard about their support doesn't really excite me either.

I'm not biased towards North American companies but having worked with many different providers, I do find that North American based companies/support are a lot better. At least that is what I have found for servers based in North America.

• @sman said:

I'm not biased towards North American companies but having worked with many different providers, I do find that North American based companies/support are a lot better. At least that is what I have found for servers based in North America

Name any few companies please

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@sman said:
    OVH does come out of this looking pretty good I have to say. Unfortunately their plans and locations just don't seem to work for me. The things I have heard about their support doesn't really excite me either.

I'm not biased towards North American companies but having worked with many different providers, I do find that North American based companies/support are a lot better. At least that is what I have found for servers based in North America.

Never had a single problem with their phone support though

• OVH does indeed look good from this. How did Online fare, did they even get attacked?