Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PogoPlug Cloud shuts down, deleting data after a week
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PogoPlug Cloud shuts down, deleting data after a week

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited September 2016 in General

Fucking unbelievable. This was published yesterday - apparently they feel that a week is sufficient notice.

After 5 amazing years of building Pogoplug Cloud, it is time to say goodbye. The online storage landscape has changed significantly over this period, and Pogoplug Cloud is no longer a part of our long-term vision for Pogoplug.

[...]

At 9am on September 28th Pogoplug Cloud will cease operation. While you still may be able to log in, your data will no longer be accessible. Your data will be securely and permanently destroyed immediately after Pogoplug Cloud is shut down.

(emphasis mine; source)

Thanked by 1netomx

Comments

• Sounds like not having money to keep running the HW.

But they are a medium size company, or not? How they can do this bs to the users?

• it is time to say goodbye

Disingenuous to say the least.

• I think they have legal problems

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Worth noting that in the past, they've claimed:

Typically when a reporter or even customer asks you what happens if you go out of business, your gut reaction is to get a little bit defensive. That said, our current economy is, in some ways, suffering because a lot of dreamers didn’t prepare for the possibility of failure. When we started thinking about our company from a customer’s standpoint, we agreed that something needed to be done to ensure Pogoplug would be useful with or without our support. Our goal is to take responsibility – in advance- for our product and our consumers in the unlikely event that we don’t succeed.

So, to all of those people that asked (and even those who wondered but didn’t voice it), “What happens if Pogoplug goes out of business?” we now have an answer: we empower the community and our customers to be self-sufficient. We have created an Escrow Account that holds the source code for Pogoplug’s back-end services. In the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, our source code will be published on SourceForge for the community to manage how they see fit.

[...]

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

A week should be more than enough time to move on once you know, but it is no where near enough time to make sure everyone knows.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • So, that source code exists? Has been published already? I guess not.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    A week should be more than enough time to move on once you know, but it is no where near enough time to make sure everyone knows.

Especially if you don't get an email about it....

AnthonySmith said: A week should be more than enough time to move on once you know

I disagree. Some people have 1TB+ of data on there. It's not realistic to expect people to move that in a week, on most residential connections. Especially if everybody is trying to get their data out...

(See also: Bitcasa, which went to hell in a very similar way)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

joepie91 said: I disagree. Some people have 1TB+ of data on there.

oh right, I did not realize it was that much data, especially with mass panic creating congestion.

That's pretty messed up then, nothing you can do about it though I suppose except get started and hope for the best.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @joepie91 said:
    I disagree. Some people have 1TB+ of data on there. It's not realistic to expect people to move that in a week, on most residential connections. Especially if everybody is trying to get their data out...

In situations like this, you rent a VPS/dedicated server with a 100mbit or 1Gbit connection and a disk big enough to store your files. Then save it all, and find a new home, and then upload from the same server.
    Yes you have to pay little extra, but if the data is important, this expensive is worth it.

• i have a lot of data and only getting around 180-220Mb down so clearly some congestion while others are downloading

Thanked by 1Lee
  • myhken said: In situations like this, you rent a VPS/dedicated server with a 100mbit or 1Gbit connection and a disk big enough to store your files. Then save it all, and find a new home, and then upload from the same server. Yes you have to pay little extra, but if the data is important, this expensive is worth it.

That is when everyone pulling data out.. i doubt they have prepared a pipe that size to deal with the traffic.

@myhken said:

@joepie91 said:

In situations like this, you rent a VPS/dedicated server with a 100mbit or 1Gbit connection and a disk big enough to store your files. Then save it all, and find a new home, and then upload from the same server.
    Yes you have to pay little extra, but if the data is important, this expensive is worth it.

1. This isn't viable for the target demographic of PogoPlug
    2. There will be congestion on PogoPlug's end as everybody tries to get their data out
    3. PogoPlug was capping speeds already anyway
    4. I don't believe you can even backup large files (>100MB) without using their proprietary Windows client
    Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2016

TarZZ92 said: i have a lot of data and only getting around 180-220Mb down so clearly some congestion while others are downloading

I am getting 18-26mb, I should have enough time to get it all but still... Not enough notice.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Was this a free service?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Microlinux said:
    Was this a free service?

I remember that it was a "one-payment", but I don't really remember.

• I still like BackBlaze for back up's and file storage.

@Microlinux said:
    Was this a free service?

No, the free tier was discontinued in June 2015 at a month's notice.

The only remaining plans are paid plans.

@netomx said:

@Microlinux said:
    Was this a free service?

I remember that it was a "one-payment", but I don't really remember.

Their devices came with a free subscription to a paid plan for a year, or something like that. After that, you'd have to pay.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Lee said: I am getting 18-26mb, I should have enough time to get it all but still... Not enough notice.

i got 2 homeworks connection bonded. and have been able to get way over 400Mb via the app in the past

• One week is nowhere near long enough to make sure that the news reaches everyone it affects. People go on vacation for longer than that.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm confused.

I thought Pogo was the thing you bought so you could pretend that your home PC was a datacenter. You plugged it in, then if you were somewhere else, you could surf to your-stuff-somewhere.com and see the files you'd copied to a USB plugged into your pogo, or something like that.

Then I googled, and all the links referred to it as "Unlimited, automatic backup" and said it had been doing that since 2007.

But when I went to the home page, it was "access your files, anywhere you need them" for $30/year, so it's...logmein?

• They offered both products IIRC.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I was confused, too. I don't use them, but it sounds like they had multiple services. The hardware device (that I'd heard of) should still work as far as I can tell. But when you go to their website, there's nothing of any of this (except on their blog, if you can find it). Clear as mud.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2016

raindog308 said: But when I went to the home page, it was "access your files, anywhere you need them" for $30/year, so it's...logmein?

perhaps you should read more it's nothing like logmein..

it's a "unlimited" (Limited after 1TB) "cloud" but they also have the devices with "unlimited" (as many devices connected as you want) storage

• looks like it's completely gone (devices include) seeing multiple reports on twitter too (and my pogoplug pc is no longer working)

@TarZZ92 said:
    looks like it's completely gone (devices include) seeing multiple reports on twitter too (and my pogoplug pc is no longer working)

Does your device depend on remote services to function?

• joepie91 said: Does your device depend on remote services to function?

yeah and the actual pogoplug pc creates some kind of virtual lan vpn which is also offline.

pogoplug have not responded to any support questions from anyone either from what i have been reading.

Bizarre.

• As bad as this is going to sound.
    It is your fault if your only copy of files are done the cloud.

In reality you should begin moving to a new provider

People shut down.
    In cases where it is quickly it is due to money normally and extending it may not be feasible if it's been a money pit for awhile.

cmsjr123 said: It is your fault if your only copy of files are done the cloud.

You can hardly fault the user alone, when these kind of things are marketed with the very promise that "we'll keep your files safe forever". It's not reasonable to expect the average customer to fully understand the provider's business plan (or lack thereof), and so the primary blame here really does lie with the provider.