Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM and CPU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM and CPU

I know that on OpenVZ VPS you can not run CPU intensive tasks 100% of the time, because CPU resources are shared. It's ok and useful in many scenarios.
Is it possible to utilize 100% of the cpu limit on KVM VPS (like on physical dedicated server), or it depends on the settings? And all these details (how CPU cores are shared, and whether I can use 100% of my CPU limit) are not always mentioned on the site of the hosting provider? Am I right?
For example, I want to make tiny MMORPG (multi-player game) that may utilize 80-90-100% of vCPU. Is KVM VPS suitable for this purpose? Or it may cause service degradation, if KVM is misconfigured and does not provide proper strict allocation of CPU resources?

Comments

• It depends upon plan and provider.

Shared CPU/vCPU: No you can not utilize 100% or more than 50% or a longer period of time.

Many providers offer 100% utilization for some extra fees.

For 100% utilization in VPS world look for the term "DEDICATED" CPU/vCPU.

See https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/ (Note: First one is ARM processor)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

OpenVZ or KVM it doesn't matter. What matters is how the specific provider allocates CPU resources. As long as the host doesn't oversell you should be fine utilizing 80%+ of your allocates core/s anytime, unless they specifically state you can't.

• For 100% utilization in VPS world look for the term "DEDICATED" CPU/vCPU.

Thank you very much for the advice.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

I think @pbgben has low contention VPS's where you can use the full core 24/7 also @Francisco's new KVM slices are dedicated CPU.

But yeah, stick with someone who says you can use it all - the virt type doesn't matter.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • @Harambe said:
    I think @pbgben has low contention VPS's where you can use the full core 24/7 also @Francisco's new KVM slices are dedicated CPU.

Ok, I found it. $15 per month for the KVM slice with dedicated CPU. Thanks for the information.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Thanks for the interest :)

@Harambe - DICKSOUTBOYS.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the mention @Harambe,

The main thing we see is not that a host is going to to kick you off for using too much CPU, its that you are effected by your neighbors. By providing set resources and not over sharing you can more or less guarantee that you have x amount of power available when you need it.

To put into another perspective, hot water in your house. If you live in a house with a shared hot water system, you may have experienced the changes in temperature when that bastard turns on a tap in another room... Well, thats like shared hosting. With dedicated, you have a heater that is only for that shower, the water pressure may dim slightly but the temperature should be consistent.