Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndBox on Facebook
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndBox on Facebook

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hi Everyone,

Maybe this is something someone out there has the answer to!

We're trying to recover admin level access to https://www.facebook.com/lowendbox/

Unfortunately Chief never gave us the admin rights to Facebook before he disappeared and as a result we've not been able to maintain it.

I've contacted Facebook through their help system and also via a community comment on their message board without luck: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/community/question/?id=1029424433850054&added&rdrhc

Anyone have advice on getting access back?

Comments

• Unless FB will help you through their support, you're already following the best path.

Chief was the creator of the page, so only he can appoint administrators. If he didn't assign anyone as an administrator before LEB changed hands, then you're in FB's hands unfortunately. It's not like Twitter, where you can just reset to an e-mail address that you may or may not have access to.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Do you have any brands that spend decent money on FB ads? Talk to your account manager, at most companies they can/will talk to folks behind the scenes and help you out.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

I suppose worst case scenario you could report it as a violation of intellectual property and if you can prove ownership of LowEndBox they probably wouldn't contest it further. Making a new page means losing all of those "Likes" though, and that's a large set of people who could potentially see new posts on their news feed.

Thanked by 3Hxxx gestiondbi tux
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

You'll likely need a court order. Google, Facebook, Microsoft, et al won't move a muscle until they've received a court order -- at which point they'll comply relatively quickly. We once worked with a client dealing with a defamation case involving an online review, it wasn't until he produced obtained a ruling from a judge that the offending comments were promptly removed from social media. I imagine there would be a similar standard for intellectual property ownership.

• Rather than wasting your time, why don't you make IPV6 available for CC customers?

Thanked by 2zafouhar JasperNL
  • If it was maintained via an email address have access to, it should be trivial. You could probably figure it out going by past communications and doing a search on FB for the email addy. If the page pops up, that's the address to use.

• Why not create an "official" page and get it verified?

• Idea: Hacking competition, free HVH server for 6 months for the first person to gain control of the LEB Facebook account.

GO

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I believe that the Facebook was created before Chief, but I can't say for sure. Either way, the address Chief used and LEA before him were private Gmail accounts.

• Bring back the good old times: DDoS them until they comply! ;-)

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited September 2016

@Nekki said:
    Idea: Hacking competition, free HVH server for 6 months for the first person to gain control of the LEB Facebook account.

GO

Probably want to add "and hand over control of the account" to the terms of that competition.

• teamacc said: Probably want "and hand over control of the account" to the terms of that competition.

I'm aware of what I wrote, thank you.

Thanked by 1cassa
  • @jarland said:
    I suppose worst case scenario you could report it as a violation of intellectual property and if you can prove ownership of LowEndBox they probably wouldn't contest it further. Making a new page means losing all of those "Likes" though, and that's a large set of people who could potentially see new posts on their news feed.

Is LowEndBox an actual trademark?

• jarland said: I suppose worst case scenario you could report it as a violation of intellectual property

No such option on FB reports otherwise Tyrese Gibson and other larger pages stealing videos from YouTube to post on their FB pages would be shutdown quick

doughmanes said: No such option on FB reports

I'm just looking at this, no clue if they do anything about it:

• doughmanes said: No such option on FB reports otherwise Tyrese Gibson and other larger pages stealing videos from YouTube to post on their FB pages would be shutdown quick

There's a trademark report form and a copyright report form. Facebook is very responsive to reports, too, it's just that they're in the same spot YouTube was many years ago when it comes to videos: no automated system to detect duplicated content and it's far too time consuming for rights holders to manually hunt down and report every stolen video.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jarland said:

doughmanes said: No such option on FB reports

I'm just looking at this, no clue if they do anything about it:

• easyeasy Member
    edited September 2016

@jarland said:

if it just number of like that concerns you, the best practice is building new page rather than maintain the old one.. just build new officials fb page,then post in let begging for likes,threatening member with provider tag must likes the page or gtfo

and you get the best type of audience for fb page..

easy said: threatening member with provider tag must likes the page or gtfo

That's a good idea. "I know where you sleep, like this page and we'll be cool."

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2016

Even if you have registered Trademark, you won't be able to get it unless you get a court order.

Basically: No. Just create a new page. Facebook couldn't care less about LEB's FB page.
    There's nothing you can do. And I highly doubt you registered a Trademark. Even if you did, you couldn't get it because the page is older.

IMO if ColoCrossing sponsored Facebook, then you'd only need to edit the settings and set yourself as Administrator.... But that's never going to happen. :P

• @jbiloh said:
    Hi Everyone,

Maybe this is something someone out there has the answer to!

We're trying to recover admin level access to https://www.facebook.com/lowendbox/

Unfortunately Chief never gave us the admin rights to Facebook before he disappeared and as a result we've not been able to maintain it.

I've contacted Facebook through their help system and also via a community comment on their message board without luck: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/community/question/?id=1029424433850054&added&rdrhc

Anyone have advice on getting access back?

Are you unable to contact the admin over facebook? I assume you know his email so you could locate his personal facebook account and take it from there unless he disappeared from the face of the earth.

• @chief - Sort this you scumbag.

• @Lee said:
    @chief - Sort this you scumbag.

You might as well be talking to a tree: Last Active May 2013

What's the history that makes Chief the "scumbag" here? If ColoCrossing is the one with the need, the onus is on them to re-establish a healthy business relationship.

• impossiblystupid said: You might as well be talking to a tree: Last Active May 2013

I know but it's all I had to offer :)

impossiblystupid said: What's the history that makes Chief the "scumbag" here?

Search...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh you obviously know how to contact Joel as you paid him a fair chunk of change for the site to begin with, just send a legal demand for access, even if it has no grounds it will illicit some sort of response.

• @Chief can sort this out if the price is right. I'm sure they have other ways to contact him.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

@impossiblystupid said:
    What's the history that makes Chief the "scumbag" here? If ColoCrossing is the one with the need, the onus is on them to re-establish a healthy business relationship.

Short version: LowEndAdmin wanted to hand over the site, but didn't want it to fall into the hands of a hosting company, and ColoCrossing's bid was rejected (source). The site was eventually handed over to Chief, under the impression that he'd keep the site running himself - but instead, Chief quietly sold it to ColoCrossing, and this didn't come to light until LET was compromised and ColoCrossing's hand was forced, essentially forcing them to admit ownership.

It's always been the suspicion that Chief was used as a sockpuppet by ColoCrossing to gain control over LowEndTalk after their direct bid was rejected.