Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH VPS 2016 feedback
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH VPS 2016 feedback

Hello,

I want some feedback from users that have been using the "new" OVH VPS SSD line.
I am planning on moving a few customers for shared hosting there (4-5 wordpress sites) and wanted some opinions on their performance from users that have been using those for some time.

Also I am referring to the EU locations only.

Thank you.
George

Comments

• We use a number of the 8gb instances for everything from Jupyterhub to Celery clusters.

They work quite well, and you can't beat them for the price.

• Why not use the search engine? There is plenty of results.

Now, from a personal experience it is pretty good. Network is great and you get almost "dedicated" CPU thread. But, if you have disk intensive tasks I would look elsewhere as the disk I/O is normally lower than most VPS...

[root@bhs ~]# wget zqc.ca/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel Xeon E312xx (Sandy Bridge)
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency :  2394.470 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 7793 MB
    Total amount of swap :  MB
    System uptime :   76 days, 9:56,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.9MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH, Montreal, Canada: 12.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Toronto, Canada: 11.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Choopa, Piscataway, USA: 11.9MB/s 
    Download speed from Dacentec, Lenoir, USA: 9.04MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Orlando, USA: 11.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Dallas, USA: 9.73MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, San Francisco, USA: 11.3MB/s 
    Download speed from QuadraNET, LA, USA: 3.11MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH, Roubaix, FR: 8.28MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Frankfurt, DE: 11.3MB/s 
    Download speed from Redstation, London, UK: 10.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.29MB/s 
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem: 10.3MB/s 
    10 Gbps Download speed from Atlanta, Ga: 11.1MB/s 
    I/O speed :  272 MB/s

Bonus : https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/448110

• Some IPs are blacklisted by hotmail/m$ (possibly by default).
    Network is quite limited: in <100 mbps, out < 20 mbps. Network is shared so you may get outbound within ~10-50 mbps. But average is 20.

Hardware is good. Fast ssd drives.

Control panel still sucks. A bit hard to manager a lot of servers, especially to remove a server. You have to wait till it expire, but in the billing page I do not see any label attached to the server so I could determine which server I want to expire.

Network connectivity is better than Leaseweb premium network. I've tested tested their network a lot. But still, I think vultr is better, a bit expensive though.

• @trnj said:
    Network is shared so you may get outbound within ~10-50 mbps. But average is 20.

Source? Granted we are mostly internal traffic from message queues, but have always seen full 100mbps speeds.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I never have any problem reaching 100mbps up and down with their VPS SSD line, using about 15 machines.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • Thank you all for your taking time in answering this.

Basically I wanna know about stability.
    The IOPS and such wont be a problem since I am getting around 1000 unique visitors monthly at the moment from all the sites combined. Nothing big.

As for the network according to my search people dont have trouble getting the 100mbps on their vps so maybe that happens on overloaded nodes? My guess ofc.

Still more feedback is appreciated, I dont actually need benchmarks.
    Mostly looking for everyday use feedback

Thank you.
    George

• you can also use the ssd vps as instances via their public cloud range. that way you can attach additional hard disks, do snapshots or use vrack. yet you cannot order additional IPs on that ones like with the standalones.

• @Falzo said:
    you can also use the ssd vps as instances via their public cloud range. that way you can attach additional hard disks, do snapshots or use vrack. yet you cannot order additional IPs on that ones like with the standalones.

... but if you have spares IPs you can attach them to your VPS. Up to 256 I think. I have a /27, a /29 and a /30 attached to my VPS 2016. It works great.

• trnjtrnj Member
    edited September 2016

@vfuse said:
    I never have any problem reaching 100mbps up and down with their VPS SSD line, using about 15 machines.

@iwaswrongonce said:
    Source? Granted we are mostly internal traffic from message queues, but have always seen full 100mbps speeds.

Just my internal tests.

Ok, lets see.

1 test.

We see 23.

2 test from the same VPS

Now we see 93.

So it looks like the network is shared

• @trnj said:

@vfuse said:

@iwaswrongonce said:

Just my internal tests.

Ok, lets see.

1 test.

We see 23.

2 test from the same VPS

Now we see 93.

So it looks like the network is shared

Yes, we never said the network is 100MB/s IN+OUT dedicated

• The same from another speedtest providers

• My DC is GRA. Maybe in CA they do not have such problems.

• trnj said: My DC is GRA. Maybe in CA they do not have such problems.

I don't have any issue hitting 100Mbps in or out and I have had quite a few of their SSD VPS 2016, Cloud VPS 2016, and the new RAM one.

• Same here, VPS SSD1 @ ~100 Mbit/s to many locations, each time, both in and out.

• trnjtrnj Member
    edited September 2016

@sin said:
    I don't have any issue hitting 100Mbps in or out and I have had quite a few of their SSD VPS 2016, Cloud VPS 2016, and the new RAM one.

GRA?
    All my VPS SSD 1 servers in GRA have unstable out.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited September 2016

Interesting.

Does the SBG location have good peering with de-cix?

Edit: NVM. http://fra.smokeping.ovh.net/smokeping?target=OVH.DCs
    Can't believe I never noticed this tool before. :D

• To host few websites, a VPS SSD 3 will be perfect and don't worry about the network speed, for web hosting there is no difference between 50 and 100Mbps

I don't recommend you the VPS Cloud series because Ceph storage provide high-availability but it's also increase the latency and the IOPS are not very good.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Just a note to the person above who mentioned the IPs are blacklisted by Microsoft (Hotmail), this is true but it takes less than 24 hours to verify IP ownership via SNDS and get mail accepted. Otherwise there's no actual blacklists on the IPs, since Microsoft doesn't have their own blacklisting service.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Just a note to the person above who mentioned the IPs are blacklisted by Microsoft (Hotmail), this is true but it takes less than 24 hours to verify IP ownership via SNDS and get mail accepted. Otherwise there's no actual blacklists on the IPs, since Microsoft doesn't have their own blacklisting service.