Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox 4.* or Proxmox 3.4 for inhouse client panel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox 4.* or Proxmox 3.4 for inhouse client panel?

VitaVita Member
edited September 2016 in General

Hi,

I've been doing some work with Proxmox recently and I really like how it works. The problem is though I want to develop an inhouse client panel for managing the VPS (OpenVZ/LXC and KVM) created by Proxmox (API). Lot's of providers here use OpenVZ, and Proxmox 4.* does not support OpenVZ anymore they've moved to LXC and I'm sure you are aware of that.

Proxmox 3.4 is an LTS product (only security fixes) up to 2017, but the end of support is near.

My question is should I stick with Proxmox 3.4 which has OpenVZ or should I go for a newer version with LXC, as It seems at least to me that Proxmox 4.* is still buggy with LXC?

The logical solution is to go for the newer version and always upgrade, but how much is Proxmox 3.4 stable and secure? Is anyone of you using it in production and don't want to upgrade to the 4.* build?

If you vote, I would be greateful if you could provide some details why you chose that option.

Thanks in advance!

Proxmox 4.* vs Proxmox 3.4 for inhouse client panel?
  1. Proxmox 4.* vs Proxmox 3.4 for inhouse client panel?30 votes
    1. Proxmox 4.* (LXC, KVM)
      90.00%
    2. Proxmox 3.4 (OVZ, KVM)
      10.00%

Comments

• Proxmox 3.x is EOL from Proxmox, so you should not stick with that. Even though Debian patches some stuff in LTS, Proxmox themselves have said that they won't do any more patching to that branch.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

LXC isn't ready for a hosting environment

Thanked by 2doughmanes doghouch
  • Maybe just use KVM on 4.x and the buggy LXC support is sad as I've used Proxmox for a long long time

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @Awmusic12635 said:
    LXC isn't ready for a hosting environment

Care to explain why? Everyone says this, but I can't ever find any actual reasons to back it up. Maybe I've just been doing crappy research..

Has anyone ever broken into LXD for example?
    http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/lxd

I hear "it's insecure" and "not ready" all the time, but realistically speaking, if you're serving clients on unprivileged containers, how different is it from ovz?

Thanked by 2Basil joepie91
  • I have proxmox 4.x running in cluster, LXC is nice but I have noticed that sometimes containers fail to terminate. Some process in the container prevents LXC from shutting down the container. Running the LXC returns an error with little information, the logs really weren't much help either. Shutting down the host was the way I stopped the container, the second time I was able to find the process on the host, but it wasn't easy... Had to remember what was running on the container and then terminate it.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Stability-wise, 3.4 is good (great, even) - which is why it's still on all my production boxes. I'm running 4.x on new boxes but only really using KVM at the moment, haven't taken the time to dip my toes into LXC yet.

If you don't need OVZ then just go 4.x immediately, if you need OVZ for some reason then stick with 3.4 for now.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I use lxc a lot with proxmox 4x (personal - business purposes, not hosting industry). I have no complains. Never had issues, vms are running like a charm, never had any error like @cfarence (not terminated containers). There are some minor issues, e.g. even though you give access to limited number of cores on proxmox, in lxc container you still can see all the cores although only the cpu power that corresponds to the cpu number can be used.
    Beside that, LXC is working much as openvz and the support is growing in LXC community, the same time that openvz is getting abandoned and Virtuozzo converts it to something like "virtuozzo lite" (missing some core features, like vzdump - this is not deployed to openvz 7...)
    In any case, support for Proxmox 3x has ended, so, don't deploy a new panel / infrastructure using an EOL virtualizing platform...

Thanked by 2Falzo webcraft
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@CFarence said:
    I have proxmox 4.x running in cluster, LXC is nice but I have noticed that sometimes containers fail to terminate. Some process in the container prevents LXC from shutting down the container. Running the LXC returns an error with little information, the logs really weren't much help either. Shutting down the host was the way I stopped the container, the second time I was able to find the process on the host, but it wasn't easy... Had to remember what was running on the container and then terminate it.

Hmm. That sounds more like the issue is with Proxmox' implementation of LXC, and not so much with LXC itself. Or am I misunderstanding it?

• @joepie91 said:

Hmm. That sounds more like the issue is with Proxmox' implementation of LXC, and not so much with LXC itself. Or am I misunderstanding it?

I tried using the LXC start and stop commands and they also errored out.

• Jonchun said: Care to explain why? Everyone says this, but I can't ever find any actual reasons to back it up. Maybe I've just been doing crappy research..

It's actually being used in hosting environments right now (there's a few Wordpress hosts that have moved to LXD/LXC). The LXD website also lists it as production ready.

I have a few containers and I'm very happy with lxd so far.