Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net - bandwith problems / peering politics
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net - bandwith problems / peering politics

Hi guys :-)

Do you also have problems with your dedicated servers at online.net?
I have a Dedibox XC Sata, 2.5 gbit/s uplink, but for a week now i only get 50-60 kb/s (!!!) upload speed to Germany...

I opened a ticket and that's what i got:

Actually and since this week our network team tests some modifications about peering on these low level range of server, we cannot unfortunately provide all of our peering provider with these low prices, So, we've take the decision to change our peering politics, for the moment this is under testing, and no decisions has been taken, communications will be done soon at this subject, by the way, our guaranteed bandwith is for premium users, that's why we invite you to change level of server if you need specific bandwith.

What the **** ? They cannot be serious for selling dedicated servers for 15,99€, advertising with 2.5gbit/s uplink and take 79,99 per month for leveling up the bandwith..?!

Do you also have problems with your online.net servers?

Kind regards

Comments

• Yes, I have noticed the same.

Outgoing connections from XC and SC are now always routed via cogent.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1852718/#Comment_1852718

http://pastebin.com/78DLAbZW

Thanked by 2vimalware btk99
  • jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

You get what you pay for :)

• I have two SC 2016 and my speed is around 200-250 Mbps in Europe.

This is to Dusseldorf, Germany.

And you are not promised a 2.5 Gbps on your XC. It clearly say a 1 Gbps on a 2.5 Gbps uplink. Still they say nothing about guaranteed bandwidth, like they have on their other servers like the Classic 2016 Premium 300 Mbit/s

• The product page was updated recently, it now says "Basic Unmetered 1 Gbit/sec - 2500BaseX interface", before the change it was "Unmetered 1 Gbit/sec - 2500BaseX interface" without the word "Basic".

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2016

French companies. Always good for a surprise...

Kabeldamagement said: You get what you pay for :)

Sorry, but blah. This is not WHT.
    I get your point, but he paid for something else when he ordered.

• @Amitz said:

>

I think it's just silly to expect 1gbps unm. for 9€ a month.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2016

lion said: I think it's just silly to expect 1gbps unm. for 9€ a month.

Right. That's why most smart companies outside of France don't offer it in the first place. Got the sarcasm? But to clarify: I don't care. I have no more servers with Online.net.

• edited September 2016

@Amitz said:

Kabeldamagement said: You get what you pay for :)

Sorry, but blah. This is not WHT.
    I get your point, but he paid for something else when he ordered.

I agree fully.
    Also when you start maxing out their resources you can still make use of them given their pricing is not realistic .
    I've mentioned countless times how I've been blamed of 'flood' ( when the crawler I've been helping has been doing the same for over 10 years).
    120 euros through the toilet in setup fees and they could not diagnose why my networking was so shitty.
    They ended saying the problem were the " wires" lol most absurd is that networking issues kept being there.
    I'm with wsi and with hetz ( no, I don't care about desktop setups) and their network is great.
    What I dislike is them ( hetz) scanning me as a client and telling me someone keeps getting surprised bc of the # of packets .
    Those netscans and tight tight frames to reply don't make me be 100% satisfied but they've been reasonable overall.
    Also true free incoming 1 gig is just what I needed

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • So they realised their already overloaded network could not support there crazy dirt cheap unmetered servers... figures.

Thanked by 3Falzo Amitz Mathias
  • RodneyRodney Member
    edited September 2016

Thanks for the heads up. I'm on a different german ISP and I still get decent speeds (60+ Mbps) but this might impact some of the other people using my server.

Guess I'll finally have to move somewhere else, but where can I get a VPS/dedi with 250+ GB HDD and at least 2 decent CPU cores for ~10€ (incl. VAT) a month...

I miss my 1€ dedicated :(

• @AshleyUk is there any new offer coming up soon?

• @tenpera said:
    @AshleyUk is there any new offer coming up soon?

?????我也想知道

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited September 2016

It really depends on your rack neighbours. I've had 3 servers (not at the same time) at Online, and all 3 had different speeds.

My current server is extremely good, it was a limited edition from a long time ago, and it seems a lot of the other servers on the rack are not rented anymore, and I get 200-250mbps minimum at all times.

It was not like that in the first 6 months when I owned the server.

• hopefully they somewhat decide on average usage whom to put on cheap/bad peerings and whom not. pls go and host your seedboxes and TE crap elsewhere, cleanse the online.net network, hurrdurr ;-)

• today is a sad day for online.net customers everywhere

• Next time you download the latest movie/TV, check and see who your peers are. A lot of Online

Thanked by 1thatix
  • btk99btk99 Member
    edited September 2016

@lion said:

I dont expect a full 1gbps connection, i never reached that at online.net - 60-90 mbps were fine and i never complained about that.
    But now i dont even get ONE mbps - and that is hard and not acceptable in my eyes.
    If they advertise with 2.5gbps and cannot even deliver at least 10 mbps it is just fraud, isnt it?!

is there anything i / we can do?

• They do no advertise with 2.5Gbps, only 1Gbps. And I have always understood it like it fair usage, that you (I) don't get 1 Gbps alone. For why should you get 1Gbps alone on the cheap servers, but not on the expensive servers?

• They advertiseD with 2.5 gbit/s at the time i ordered the server.
    And sure - fair usage.
    But either their configuration seems crappy, if i only get 1mbit/s and other customers can seed/leech with fullspeed, or the network is absolutely overloaded.

Ive never said, that i want 1gbit/s "just for me" - its ok if it is shared. But they must be kiddin us, with that MAXIMUM speed of 80 kb/s.

Or am i wrong?!

• boerndboernd Member
    edited September 2016

@btk99 said:

@lion said:

I dont expect a full 1gbps connection, i never reached that at online.net - 60-90 mbps were fine and i never complained about that.

same here

I rather prefer a 100mbit/s connection with all transits/peerings than a 1gbit/s cogent only uplink with 40kbit/s to my home connection.
    Will switch to kimsufi, they offer only 100mbit/s but thats enough for my personal box.

• doughmanes said: see who your peers are

what peers hrhr? not everyone clogs the net with torrent and plex ;-)

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • is there anything i / we can do?

The support guy already answered your question...

that's why we invite you to change level of server if you need specific bandwith.

Thanked by 1akb
  • Ah, so he was serious with that?
    Sure! I pay 16€ for the server and 80€ (!!!) monthly for that higher bandwith?!

I should pay 80€ for that without even knowing, how much bandwith i will get?
    Sure!

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited September 2016

@btk99 said:
    They advertiseD with 2.5 gbit/s at the time i ordered the server.
    And sure - fair usage.

When did you order then? So long as I have seen the 2016 versions it has always been 1 Gbps at 2.5Gbps uplink. (then newly Basic 1Gbps) So if they have advertised for a 2.5Gbps connection that must have been a long time ago. Aka several months.

I agree that 10mbit/s is way too low. But as I showed you, the cheaper servers still gets 200-250mbit/s. And that is the same speed I have got all the time I have had servers with them. (SC 2016)

And before we make to much fuzz, wait to see their official notice about this issue, and how low the guaranteed mbit/s will be. Just now, we don't know.

• seems like not all servers are affected, just checked from a limited edition... incoming quite fast I'd say:

Vultr, Sydney, AUS              108.61.212.117          4,20MB/s
    Softlayer, Sydney, AUS          168.1.1.212             4,91MB/s
    Softlayer, Melbourne, AUS       168.1.65.244            5,50MB/s
    Softlayer, Milan, IT            159.122.128.84          50,1MB/s
    Prometeus, Milan, IT            37.247.53.10            58,4MB/s
    Server.LU, Luxembourg, LU       94.242.192.2            54,0MB/s
    Vultr, Frankfurt, DE            108.61.210.117          54,4MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           17,3MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            72,4MB/s
    Leaseweb, Frankfurt, DE         37.58.58.140            101MB/s
    DO, Frankfurt, DE               46.101.236.127          96,2MB/s
    Vultr, Paris, FR                108.61.209.127          61,1MB/s
    OVH, Gravelines, FR             5.196.90.200            55,8MB/s
    OVH, Strasbourg, FR             5.135.128.81            30,2MB/s
    OVH, Roubaix, FR                188.165.12.106          93,0MB/s
    Online.Net, Paris, FR           62.210.18.40            110MB/s
    Vultr, Amsterdam, NL            108.61.198.102          50,4MB/s
    DO 2, Amsterdam, NL             178.62.180.186          102MB/s
    DO 3, Amsterdam, NL             188.166.111.128         101MB/s
    Leaseweb, Amsterdam, NL         5.79.108.33             103MB/s
    i3d, Amsterdam, NL              213.163.76.200          65,5MB/s
    Vultr, London, UK               108.61.196.101          55,8MB/s
    DO, London, UK          138.68.141.25           105MB/s
    Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           96,5MB/s
    Softlayer, London, UK           5.10.97.132             79,5MB/s
    Softlayer, Mexico, MX           169.57.4.116            9,01MB/s
    Softlayer, Brazil, BR           169.57.128.148          6,77MB/s
    DO 1, NYC, USA          162.243.175.118         33,2MB/s
    DO 2, NYC, USA          104.131.206.249         30,6MB/s
    DO 3, NYC, USA          45.55.79.255            27,8MB/s
    Vultr, New Jersey, USA          108.61.149.182          16,0MB/s

outgoing to OVH

# iperf -c iperf.ovh.net
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Client connecting to iperf.ovh.net, TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
    [  3] local port 33442 connected with 188.165.12.136 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   713 MBytes   598 Mbits/sec

outgoing to hetzner

# iperf -c my.box.hetzner
    Client connecting to my.box.hetzner, TCP port 5001
    [  3] local port 47040 connected with 12.34.56.78 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   381 MBytes   319 Mbits/sec

• boerndboernd Member
    edited September 2016

Who cares about guaranteed bandwidth if the only uplink is cogent. Can't reach more than a few mbit/s to most home ISPs anyway.

@Falzo said:
    seems like not all servers are affected, just checked from a limited edition... incoming quite fast I'd say:

Only XC and SC are using the "basic" network according to their staff in their IRC channel.

Download speed from my kidechire is also fine.

• @myhken said:
    When did you order then? So long as I have seen the 2016 versions it has always been 1 Gbps at 2.5Gbps uplink. (then newly Basic 1Gbps) So if they have advertised for a 2.5Gbps connection that must have been a long time ago. Aka several months.

it was a while ago, maybe 8-9 months?
    i definitely have more than 1gbit/s in general.

./speedtest-cli --server 5022 Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Testing from ONLINE SAS (***)... Hosted by ONLINE S.A.S. (Vitry-sur-Seine) [8.80 km]: 1.67 ms Testing download speed........................................ Download: 1987.30 Mbit/s Testing upload speed.................................................. Upload: 501.57 Mbit/s

./speedtest-cli --server 4159 Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Testing from ONLINE SAS (***)... Hosted by iperf.fr (Rouen) [111.21 km]: 4.788 ms Testing download speed........................................ Download: 1992.40 Mbit/s Testing upload speed.................................................. Upload: 500.77 Mbit/s

iperf -c iperf.ovh.net Client connecting to iperf.ovh.net, TCP port 5001 TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default) [ 3] local port 58118 connected with 188.165.12.136 port 5001 [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth [ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 1.47 GBytes 1.26 Gbits/sec

Settings for eth0: Supported ports: [ FIBRE ] Supported link modes: 2500baseX/Full Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Supports auto-negotiation: Yes Advertised link modes: 2500baseX/Full Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes Speed: 2500Mb/s Duplex: Full Port: FIBRE PHYAD: 0 Transceiver: external Auto-negotiation: on Supports Wake-on: pumbg Wake-on: g Current message level: 0x00000007 (7) drv probe link Link detected: yes

but that isn't worth anything - as boernd already said:

@boernd said:
    Who cares about guaranteed bandwidth if the only uplink is cogent. Can't reach more than a few mbit/s to most home ISPs anyway.

• I see. I get the same speed inside France as rest of Europe, around 200-250mbps. Never got 2.5Gbps or 1Gbps on my two SC 2016 servers. But I have kept them because 250mbps is twice the speed I get on any of my Kimsufi servers to the same price.
    If Online is going to go under 200-250, I just cancel my servers with them, and use one of my much better specs KS-3C flash sale servers. (i5 2400/3570S, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD)

• I got full 50 Mbps on my 50 Mbps cable link in Poland - routing goes via Telia.

• Top is business plan, bottom is not. Same specs and DC on online.

[ 3] local shitbox.online.net port 55966 connected with myshitbox.optimum.net port 5001
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 3] 0.0-10.9 sec 9.12 MBytes 7.05 Mbits/sec

[ 3] local shitbox2.online.net port 58684 connected with myshitbox.optimum.net port 5001
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 3] 0.0-11.9 sec 6.88 MBytes 4.84 Mbits/sec

They're not lying, speeds just both suck (and I'm bottlenecked here, business plan actually hits the bottleneck, the basic doesn't).