Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtWire Global is shutting down?!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtWire Global is shutting down?!

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited September 2016 in General

So yeah, I heard VirtWire will be closing their services soon.
Anyone else can confirm this?

Comments

• The writing was on the wall these past several days. Unfortunately, the non-NAT customers are in a difficult position, with a number of servers no longer accessible, not to mention lost money ...

• Oh well.

@AutoSnipe Can I please get my money back?

• @K4Y5 said:
    Oh well.

Lol you're having a laugh right?

• someone would buy their ip blocks/ASN.. and continue the legacy ? :)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited September 2016

@ATHK said:

@K4Y5 said:
    Oh well.

Lol you're having a laugh right?

I just lost $20 (entirely avoidable, tbh) on something that turned out to be absolute garbage, that I didn't really need in the first place.

Lesson learned.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • seikanseikan Member
    edited September 2016

Here is the email I received.

As you may have already heard, VirtWire Global is shutting down, this was caused by many reasons, including those of our providers. Something which we choose not to go into for the sake of good sportsmanship, as well as an ongoing personal/family issue.

We have had lengthy discussions with multiple providers to take over our nodes in various locations to build on what we have already created, but so far this has not come to fruit as we had hoped.

One provider we have contacted is David from GestionDBI (AKA DeepNetSolutions) who has setup some servers in locations to cater for customers from VirtWire Global,

Unfortunately due to the nature of the business where most of the plans we offer are purchased as Annual billing cycles, this has caused the issues for providers to jump on board to snap up our nodes.

But, David from GestionDBI has informed us that he will honor the additional timeframe of customers servers with any purchase on his platform.

for example (128mb NAT VPS expires in January, purchases a new service today from GestionDBI, and ticket's in providing the latest invoice from us to one of GestionDBI's staff, and the service will be extended out for the remaining period in addition to the new service period.)

At current, this email is only sent to those on NAT IPv4 plans, as we have not reached an agreement with any other providers about the Dedicated IPv4 locations as of yet.

Data from the VPS' in question can be available to GestionDBI on request through their ticketting system, you must provide the Internal IPv4 and utilize the same (or provide) email address that was attached to the service for the data to be provided.

Otherwise, we urge you to create your own full data backups of all services you possess.

GestionDBI has also setup a small information page for you to view with more information about this offer: https://www.gestiondbi.com/migration-from-virtwire-global-ltd/

During this time we will continue negotations with other providers for the services under the Dedicated IPv4 offerings.

Sorry for any inconveniences caused,

Regards,
    Ryan B

• PP chargebacks incoming it seems from many

• Any alternatives to virtwire? I had a vps for 2.50$ per year just to run ts3 so I don't need something super fancy. Need german location if possible

• @trabbie said:
    Any alternatives to virtwire? I had a vps for 2.50$ per year just to run ts3 so I don't need something super fancy. Need german location if possible

GestionDBI just launched Germany

• yea saw the offer but it's almost double the price for the same specs so I was looking for something cheaper if possible. Will probably end up with Gestion if I won't find anything cheaper

• What's curious here is why no-one is prepared to take over the existing nodes...

Thanked by 2netomx PrColo
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@trabbie said:
    yea saw the offer but it's almost double the price for the same specs so I was looking for something cheaper if possible. Will probably end up with Gestion if I won't find anything cheaper

Gestion is cheap already. You're looking for rock bottom prices, unsustainable, that usually end like this. Time to break the cycle finally ?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Nekki said:
    What's curious here is why no-one is prepared to take over the existing nodes...

I asked myself the exact same question, especially in the case of the lately created setup for the DE node.
    But I guess it is due to the fact, that people are paying yearly - so there is no monthly cash flow and too much risk of users not beeing loyal after their subscription period.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2016

@trabbie said:
    yea saw the offer but it's almost double the price for the same specs so I was looking for something cheaper if possible. Will probably end up with Gestion if I won't find anything cheaper

Wait, wat, did you know how much Servers he had on Raid 1?

about 200-300, I would pay a bit more to keep the number down.

• seikan said: Here is the email I received.

I wonder whether only NAT customers received this email. I'm a non-NAT customer and haven't yet received this email.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    PP chargebacks incoming it seems from many

Well...

When did they close sales? If it was > 45 days ago you're outta luck.

Francisco

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

Well...

Francisco

180, 45 expired a while ago.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Francisco said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

Well...

Francisco

I thought it was 6 months now the dispute period is.. Unless I am missing something..

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Neoon said:
    180, 45 expired a while ago.

@MSPNick said:
    I thought it was 6 months now the dispute period is.. Unless I am missing something..

Shows how often I gotta deal with disputes :P

Pretty sure someone said they had an offer within the last few months.

It sucks for both parties in the end.

Francisco

• The last email advertising discounts is from 16 August: "For a limited time only we are cutting 20% off the cost of our BUDGET & NAT VPS Lines. ..." The coupons in the email were good until 31 August.

It seems irresponsible to advertise like this when a deadpool is around the corner.

• @angstrom said:
    The last email advertising discounts is from 16 August: "For a limited time only we are cutting 20% off the cost of our BUDGET & NAT VPS Lines. ..." The coupons in the email were good until 31 August.

It seems irresponsible to advertise like this when a deadpool is around the corner.

And you think he planed it this way? Not sure, maybe something unexpected hit him...

• There goes my first prospective PayPal charge-back opportunity, just because I paid with BTC.

Damn you, cryptocurrency! Damn you!!

• Bochi said: And you think he planed it this way? Not sure, maybe something unexpected hit him...

Okay, possibly, but the lack of communication from VirtWire (as I said above, I haven't yet received any email) doesn't encourage me to think this.

• @angstrom said:

seikan said: Here is the email I received.

I wonder whether only NAT customers received this email. I'm a non-NAT customer and haven't yet received this email.

The email actually says it was sent to NAT IPv4 only:

• Nekki said: The email actually says it was sent to NAT IPv4 only:

I missed that -- thanks.

• angstrom said: Bochi said: And you think he planed it this way? Not sure, maybe something unexpected hit him...

Okay, possibly, but the lack of communication from VirtWire (as I said above, I haven't yet received any email) doesn't encourage me to think this.

Just to clarify: it's, of course, hard to know what exactly happened, but (in the absence of a sudden physical accident or illness) there were most likely ample signs by mid-August that things weren't going well. In any case, I'm not trying to demonize Ryan -- I merely wrote "It seems irresponsible ..."

• JacobJacob Member
    edited September 2016

I think they've failed on the duty to find an acceptable new home for the customers atleast for the monthly or quarterly as I'm assuming most customers are annual, no one in their right mind is going to take on the annual customers to make a complete loss in the first year.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited September 2016

@angstrom said:

Nekki said: The email actually says it was sent to NAT IPv4 only:

I missed that -- thanks.

Excerpt from the first line of the email sent to NAT VPS customers

VirtWire Global is shutting down

At the risk of sounding insensitive, even though the impending albeit abrupt shut-down likely affects all types of customers, it affects the NAT customers, who selectively received this communique, the least, as they had a lot less at stake in terms of $$ committed.

Ryan could have shot an email off to everyone, and handled this entire episode a LOT better, by clearly outlining the cause and measures taken by him to limit the inconvenience caused (by his actions and business decisions?) to his customers, and follow it up with a pro-rated refund at the least (hah, right?).

That would have been the responsible thing to do.

But then again, we sadly do not live in an ideal world, but instead stomp around in the LowEnd one ;)

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Their nodes are filled with spammers and abusers. Why would any sane person take that over?