Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Dedibox XC 2016 BIOS Bug? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Dedibox XC 2016 BIOS Bug?

Comments

• mkln0mkln0 Member

I'm getting around 65MB/s disk speeds on a XC 2016 sata. It's kind of slow, I'm also guessing it will be throttling the [average] download speed?

• awvnxawvnx Member

I don't see how SATA II vs III is an issue here since there's no way a cheap 7200 rpm drive can get anywhere close to saturating SATA II anyway. Perhaps they mean there's a bug in SATA in general that's slowing it down to 10% of what SATA II could achieve...

Thanked by 1lbft
  • mkln0mkln0 Member

65MB/s is around half of what I'd say is reasonable to expect. I usually get 170-180 on other sata servers.

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited May 2016

Any word on limited editions ?

Some of the last dates were:

So we might expect something very soon ;)

• Still being palmed off by support, no update yet despite them saying they were expecting a fix over a month ago.

• Still nothing...

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@abermingham this, plus the network issues some XCs are having really isn't good. Any progress?

• As I prepare my mind to order a Dedibox XC 2016, Just want to know if this I/O bug is know resolved or is it still there ?

• tarasistarasis Member
    edited September 2016

This is my Dedi XC 2015

Tested in the wrong directory.

• ^ Thread is about the 2016 model, not 2015, but those speeds don't look like a disk (SSD or HDD). I'm guessing your /tmp partition is mounted as tmpfs or similar.

• @xyz said:
    ^ Thread is about the 2016 model, not 2015, but those speeds don't look like a disk (SSD or HDD). I'm guessing your /tmp partition is mounted as tmpfs or similar.

Your right it was, oops.

As to the models, I was aware, just thought it might be useful to have a data point from a 2015 model.

[rob@dedi tmp]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/rob/testdd2 bs=1M count=1000 conv=fdatasync
    1000+0 records in
    1000+0 records out
    1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB, 1000 MiB) copied, 13.0192 s, 80.5 MB/s

[rob@dedi tmp]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/rob/testdd2 bs=1M count=100 conv=fdatasync
    100+0 records in
    100+0 records out
    104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 1.41423 s, 74.1 MB/s

• 找客服吧,Online.net 家的硬盘经常是坏的

edited September 2016

My XC SSD 2016 in France, I will be ordering Amsterdam location later this month and we will see.

Do they still install Samsung PM871 disks ? It was random in 2015 machines - many Intel models, Samsung etc.

[root@onlinecity ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/test bs=1M count=1000 conv=fdatasync 1000+0 records in 1000+0 records out 1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 11.9756 s, 87.6 MB/s [root@onlinecity ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/test bs=1M count=1000 conv=fdatasync 1000+0 records in 1000+0 records out 1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 12.2648 s, 85.5 MB/s

• Lsnmx1024 said: 找客服吧,Online.net 家的硬盘经常是坏的

English here, only English please...

Thanked by 2boernd netomx
  • @jvnadr
    Why you so mean??
    Just keep scrolling

• Jorbox said: @jvnadr Why you so mean?? Just keep scrolling

I would also prefer to understand what I read here. And he is right - This in an english forum. I don't bother you with my german too. ;-)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Amitz I know that, but when you talk german I will be kind and will tell you that in your profile not here.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2016

Jorbox said: @Amitz I know that, but when you talk german I will be kind and will tell you that in your profile not here.

I think we all should have a drink [or any other favorite relaxant]. :-)
    It's not that he was abusive. Maybe there was an edit, but I just see

English here, only English please...

which is completely okay in my eyes. But I think we're wasting time here: One Love! <3

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • Jorbox said: Why you so mean?? Just keep scrolling

I am not mean. I just want to be able to understand. This is an English forum and I will not going to start a conversation in Greek (no, it's indeed all Greek to me because I am Greek!). If people starts to use his own language here, then LET will become Babel's Tower...

Thanked by 3rm_ netomx ManofServer
  • Amitz said: Maybe there was an edit, but I just see

No, it was not an edit and I think I was not rude. If @Jorbox believe I was, I assure it was not my intentions...

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited September 2016

Ok, I got an XC 2016 within 2 mins of ordering... impressive.

I did confirm them in a ticket before ordering about the BIOS bug and they confirmed it is resolved.

Here are the tests... in full

SAMSUNG MZ7LN256 | Revision: "100Q"

fio averages out betw 150-170 MB/s

dd averages out betw 180-220 MB/s

Good Enough ??
    Any Tips to improve performance... I'm using Debian 8.5

Secondly...

What do you recommend for Virtualization on Debian ?

Easiest of all to manage via GUI (minimal LXDE)

XEN(XCP) vs. ProxMox vs. qemu-kvm vs. VirtualBox

which one is easiest of all to manage?

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@lbft said:

The port is not running properly (SATA II instead of SATA III) and offer lower performance that it should.

SATA 2 has a maximum speed of 300 MB/s. That comes nowhere near explaining a drive running at 12.5 MB/s.

Depends what kind of reads and writes you're doing. 12.5MB/s could be normal for a SATA II drive.

• mehargags said: Good Enough ??

No. I've got the same SSD in a system without the BIOS problem, and those speeds are too low.

edited September 2016

Please check your smartctl:

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep SATA SATA Version is: SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

It's so annoying when you have a controller and an SSD drive which are 6.0 GB/s capable. It was working well in the 2015 XC SSD model. Is your drive new ?

Mine was and now has 4546 Power on Hours with 97% MWI, so 3% used so far.

Thanked by 1sipe
  • So this was reported in April 2016 and it is still not fixed?

• this is XC ssd ams1

dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct 1+0 records in 1+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 11.265 s, 95.3 MB/s

dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1M count=1000 conv=fdatasync 1000+0 records in 1000+0 records out 1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB, 1000 MiB) copied, 10.4034 s, 101 MB/s

• SATA 2 or SATA 3 ?

• @ManofServer said:
    So this was reported in April 2016 and it is still not fixed?

Actually on the 17th March ;)

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited September 2016

@trvz said:

mehargags said: Good Enough ??

No. I've got the same SSD in a system without the BIOS problem, and those speeds are too low.

So what Speeds are you getting on your box ? What numbers should I be expecting

@Spacedust said:
    It's so annoying when you have a controller and an SSD drive which are 6.0 GB/s capable. It was working well in the 2015 XC SSD model. Is your drive new ?

Mine was and now has 4546 Power on Hours with 97% MWI, so 3% used so far.

Forgot to check--- indeed it seems I'm connected on a 3gbps port. Is there something I can do myself or shall I raise the ticket ?

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep SATA

SATA Version is: SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

smartctl --xall /dev/sda | grep Power_On

9 Power_On_Hours -O--CK 099 099 000 - 521
    Power_Cycle_Count -O--CK 099 099 000 - 5

dmesg | grep -i sata | grep 'link up'

[ 18.086567] ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)

hdparm -I /dev/sda | egrep "Model|speed|Transport"

`Model Number:       SAMSUNG MZ7LN256HMJP-00000              
    Transport:          Serial, ATA8-AST, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6, SATA Rev 3.0
       *    Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
       *    Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
       *    Gen3 signaling speed (6.0Gb/s)
       *    SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set`

• look like this is not bug.

on their site displayed as SATA2
    https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc