Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What location should we expand to?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What location should we expand to?

iRepkoiRepko Member
edited September 2016 in General

Hi! We're looking to expand to new locations and want to hear some feedback from the community. Where do you think we should expand to?

We're currently in Berkeley Springs, WV.

1. Los Angeles, CA
      15.15%
    2. Dallas, TX
      15.15%
    3. Cleveland, OH
      69.70%

Comments

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited September 2016

Cleveland for sure, really good location

• Cleveland, OH, you don't see a whole ton of providers in Ohio.

• @JoeMerit said:
    Since you are a no name provider and nobody knows where your current locations are, you might want to post them?

I've added our current location.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited September 2016

either Cleveland or Winnipeg

If you wanna go Euro: Tirana

• Cleveland, OH.
    Also, you should post your website or some plans.

• new location? ...

ovh

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Where would you host in Cleveland?

• iRepkoiRepko Member
    edited September 2016

@jbiloh said:
    Where would you host in Cleveland?

I know Zayo and 365 have some space here. Actually a few DC's here, going to do some tours and see what can be done at all locations.

• Why there is no cheap vps on hawai?

• WHT said: Why there is no cheap vps on hawai?

BW is expensive + not a ton of land (and money) to build datacenters on.

• iRepkoiRepko Member
    edited September 2016

We're at around 30 votes and Cleveland is leading.

• edited September 2016

karatekidmonkey said: BW is expensive + not a ton of land (and money) to build datacenters on.

And really small consumer base.

Edit: Cleveland would be nice.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

iRepko said: I know Zayo and 365 have some space here. Actually a few DC's here, going to do some tours and see what can be done at all locations.

Good luck my friend.

The thought of both Zayo and 365 give me a horrible headache.

• 1st time heard Cleveland. Is there any neutral DC over there? We are seeking for new location at USA and Europe as well.

Thanked by 1mokafu
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jbiloh said: The thought of both Zayo and 365 give me a horrible headache.

I've lived in Zayo a lot in $DAY_JOB and they've been pretty good, actually. Have you had issues with them?

I'm way up the stack and don't talk with DCs directly, so it's possible the network/systems folks below me hate them :-)

• I'd like Korea :)

At $20/month for a 384MB vps, the answer from LET is "it doesn't matter where you are".

http://xdshosting.com/vpshosting.php

I realize it's fully managed, but still, you're not really in the LET market.

BTW, that "with cpanel" has an asterisk...with no footnote...which makes me wonder what I'm actually getting for the management fee.

"Secured VPS with free IPTables Firewall"

Oh wait, if you're throwing iptables in for free...

"Climate Friendly, Wind Powered, Certified RECs (View Green Web Hosting Details)"

Oh sweet, so you...oh...

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @raindog308 said:
    At $20/month for a 384MB vps, the answer from LET is "it doesn't matter where you are".

http://xdshosting.com/vpshosting.php

I realize it's fully managed, but still, you're not really in the LET market.

BTW, that "with cpanel" has an asterisk...with no footnote...which makes me wonder what I'm actually getting for the management fee.

"Secured VPS with free IPTables Firewall"

Oh wait, if you're throwing iptables in for free...

"Climate Friendly, Wind Powered, Certified RECs (View Green Web Hosting Details)"

Oh sweet, so you...oh...

Uhhhhh What?

• LET isn't the best place to sample for something unless you were doing a pre-order push for customers. Of course the majority would say they want OH since they're not paying for it and its no real loss to them other than it looks appealing.

LA would open you up to a lot of Southeast Asia while a consumer like me would look at the options of OH and WV as being "ok whats the difference?" then looking at other providers. Dallas would centrally locate you and open you up to possibly central/South American customers. OH has no gain really unless OH customer base.

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
    edited September 2016

iRepko said: Uhhhhh What?

Interesting...if I go to irepko.com, I'm redirected to xdshosting.

My apologies as you'd PM'd me that isn't your site...but you don't have a site in your sig, so when I saw that irepko.com was a hosting company, I made the connection. Erroneously apparently.

• @raindog308 said:

iRepko said: Uhhhhh What?

Interesting...if I go to irepko.com, I'm redirected to xdshosting.

My apologies as you'd PM'd me that isn't your site...but you don't have a site in your sig, so when I saw that irepko.com was a hosting company, I made the connection. Erroneously apparently.

I didn't even know that domain was in use. Nor why someone would buy that domain.

• Yeah, kinda mirroring what @doughmanes brought up.

Having a unique location is nice, but there's a reason why there are craploads of providers in LA, Dallas, NYC and Miami - They're well connected both domestically and perhaps more importantly, internationally.

I voted for Ohio because it's a new location, I like new locations! Realistically your best bet out of the bunch would probably be LA though.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@karatekidmonkey said:
    Cleveland, OH, you don't see a whole ton of providers in Ohio.

Maybe there's a reason for that... There's better peering and cheaper electricity elsewhere in the country.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • sdglhm said: And really small consumer base.

That too.

BrianHarrison said: Maybe there's a reason for that... There's better peering and cheaper electricity elsewhere in the country.

Exactly! That's why I want them to expand into Cleveland, it's exotic compared to many other locations.

• If the real estate situation in Cleveland is anything like in Cincinnati where my friend buys properties, there's a good reason there's a lack of availability. Just throwing servers in a rack in a poor location is hardly "exotic" as the provider runs the risk of that location not meeting reasonable requirements.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@doughmanes said:
    If the real estate situation in Cleveland is anything like in Cincinnati where my friend buys properties, there's a good reason there's a lack of availability. Just throwing servers in a rack in a poor location is hardly "exotic" as the provider runs the risk of that location not meeting reasonable requirements.

Exactly.

If you open the location then I highly recommend you make sure you're ok with it being a lackluster lemon. Opening it then closing it in a couple months because it isn't covering cost isn't going to look great.

Francisco

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Honestly, most of the datacenters in the area look great. Just like any other tier 3. I'm not just going to jump when I see one. I'll make sure to do my due diligence.

• @doughmanes said:
    If the real estate situation in Cleveland is anything like in Cincinnati where my friend buys properties, there's a good reason there's a lack of availability. Just throwing servers in a rack in a poor location is hardly "exotic" as the provider runs the risk of that location not meeting reasonable requirements.

Clevelands really starting to clean up. Even before the RNC and the championship they had plans to improve things, but even since then its been getting a lot better.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@iRepko said:

@doughmanes said:

Clevelands really starting to clean up. Even before the RNC and the championship they had plans to improve things, but even since then its been getting a lot better.

The macroeconomic situation around Cleveland is going to have to improve significantly and over a long period of time before we'll start to see any sort of transformation in the quality of fiber and transit providers in the region. Electricity costs definitely aren't changing anytime soon either.

• I wonder if there will be any ddos protection tho ^^

This discussion has been closed.