Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's Encrypt : 10 million certificates have been issued.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Let's Encrypt : 10 million certificates have been issued.

Ten million Let's Encrypt certificates have been issued

as Let's Encrypt official twitter account.

I'm so proud of what Let's Encrypt has reached!

Thank you very much!

Thanked by 1tarasis

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• JorboxJorbox Member
    edited September 2016
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I just switched my main domains to LetsEncrypt a few days ago. Definitely good to see them growing consistently.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Next week ssls.com on sale at LET at $7

• @MikeA said:
    I just switched my main domains to LetsEncrypt a few days ago. Definitely good to see them growing consistently.

LetsEncrypt had changed the meaning of the SSL certificates

@WHT said:
    Next week ssls.com on sale at LET at $7

I think so , they need godaddy auctions account :D

• I've used LetsEncrypt myself, great service at a price I like :)

• I have switched 90% of my SSL to Let's encrypt.

• Must be bad news for other certificate providers

• @DreamCaster said:
    Must be bad news for other certificate providers

It was a racket whose time had come.

AMEN

• Too bad letsencrypt isnt with the wildcard feature, if not would have taken out of business giants of ssl market...

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

For what it is, it still is a great thing regardless of the lack of wildcard.

• This thread reminded me that I wanted to check the certbot-auto package out, so tonight I broke down and used it to set up an SSL connection to one of my servers. Had a few hiccups -- it took maybe an hour to straighten out -- but generally it worked like a charm. Kudos to the EFF and LetsEncrypt folks for providing the service and the software.

• NesmiyanovNesmiyanov Member
    edited September 2016

Just tested this service. Nice one.
    I think, it's fully suitable for almost all personal/small business sites.

• Don't forget to do nginx -s reload after certbot renew in cron, that caught me out.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited September 2016

If I get a Let's Encrypt certificate and then get a renewal in 90 days and then another renewal in 90 days, does that count as three certificates or only one?

If it counts as three, then I am somewhat less impressed and it is not quite as bad news for the other providers.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

@emg said:
    If I get a Let's Encrypt certificate and then get a renewal in 90 days and then another renewal in 90 days, does that count as three certificates or only one?

If it counts as three, then I am somewhat less impressed and it is not quite as bad news for the other providers.

Only 1, you are allowed to issue up to 5 certificates for a single domain per week, I can't think of why anyone would need to go anywhere near that number for the same domain every week to hit the rate limit.

Source: https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/

• Remember, you've got to own the DNS server, and have entered the DNS information correctly before they will issue your certificates.

• @emg said:

If it's a proper renewal, presumably they're only counting that as one. But if you're requesting a brand new certificate instead of renewing the existing one, then presumably that's being counted multiple times.

For example the .NET library I'm using doesn't support renewals yet, so every 30 days when I "renew" our certificates I'm actually creating brand new ones, so what should be counted as 3 certificates over the course of a year will be counted as 36 certificates.