Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking advice on options for VPS setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking advice on options for VPS setup

tttwbtttwb Member
edited September 2016 in General

Hi,

I am reasonably new to virtual private servers and sysadmin but have been playing around with droplets on Digitalocean for the last couple of weeks and learning Linux command line.

I wanted to get some advice on which option to go with below for setting up and managing the VPS, I'm looking at setting up multiple Laravel applications which will have low traffic (LEMP stack on Ubuntu 16.04).

1. Use Serverpilot to manage updates and security automatically

2. Use Cloudways with Digitalocean/Vultr

3. Use a lightweight control panel like VestaCP to manage the server

4. Mange the server completely by myself through command line, (I am happy to learn to do this, just would be interested to know how much work it really would involve)

I understand there are pros and cons of each, I am swaying towards managing the server myself but I am slightly concerned about my lack of knowledge being a security issue, then there is Serverpilot which looks like a good option to help out with this.

What would you recommend for someone reasonably new to managing a server, I'm open to any other options or suggestions too.

Any help at all would be appreciated as I have been reading conflicting opinions online.

Comments

• Go ahead with CentMinMod, that will make the process much easier (as compared to doing it without any script on CMD) but eventually you will learn a lot of things.

• Welcome!

There is no shame in using control panels and it's a good starting point for new sysadmins. You can learn how it works and how to achieve what you want to do via CLI without the help of a control panel.

• @Sady said:
    Go ahead with CentMinMod, that will make the process much easier (as compared to doing it without any script on CMD) but eventually you will learn a lot of things.

Thanks for your suggestion, I had not heard of CentMinMod before, it looks great. Is there a version for Ubuntu or does it really not matter too much which Linux distribution I go for?

• @tttwb said:

@Sady said:
    Go ahead with CentMinMod, that will make the process much easier (as compared to doing it without any script on CMD) but eventually you will learn a lot of things.

Thanks for your suggestion, I had not heard of CentMinMod before, it looks great. Is there a version for Ubuntu or does it really not matter too much which Linux distribution I go for?

It isn't compatible with Ubuntu & only supports CentOS but it doesn't matter much. I started with being a totally CentOS guy (supported cPanel, SolusVM & set upped some personal LAMP learning servers) & now I mostly use Debian/Ubuntu. Choose one, excel in it & then try to get familiarity with another.

If you want to have skills in Linux, then this is perfect for getting you started: https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxadmin/comments/2s924h/how_did_you_get_your_start/cnnw1ma

• A good alternative to CentMinMod is EasyEngine
    If you prefer Debian/Ubuntu you will love it. But that's true, starting with a control panel is not a shame. You have the time to learn.