Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should LET price rules be adjusted to match LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should LET price rules be adjusted to match LEB?

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited September 2016 in Announcements

Recently the price rules for LEB were changed. Should we change LET to match? The rules can be found here:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/89726/lowendbox-new-offers-guidelines

This is your decision as members of this community. If you say yes, we do it. If you say no, we don't. Plain and simple. Some things should not be a staff decision. I saw a couple mentions of it being weird to have the two sites different, so here is the poll to determine how members feel about it:

https://goo.gl/forms/jXQlzwdA67xXkiBo1

Thanked by 1FredQc

Comments

• No.

Thanked by 2jar doghouch
  • Has it been a roaring success on LEB? Until you see some evidence of success, I'd say no.

More offers on LET is the wrong direction anyway, IMO.

• No.

Thanked by 2jar GCat
  • KobeKobe Member
    edited September 2016

I really would stray away from it if possible. Increasing the price limit would cause more providers to enter this already saturated market, decrease price competition to some extent (overall price would increase, leading to a general rise in prices that may not be justified to begin with) and strays away from the consumer oriented atmosphere and marketplace that LET provides.

Thanked by 1jar
  • lbftlbft Member
    edited September 2016

It's silly to have them different, and a couple of posters lately have clearly gotten mixed up over the difference.

But I voted no - IMHO that doesn't mean LET should be changed to match LEB, it means the silly LEB changes should be reversed to match LET again.

• Seems like too early a reaction to make, as already mentioned the prices were changed on LEB such a short time ago, where are the results that show that was an effective decision? Let's see some offers up there that reflect the price changes instead of plagiarized tutorials and staff interviews.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarland said: This is your decision as members of this community. If you say yes, we do it. If you say no, we don't. Plain and simple.

I'm really glad you're soliciting member feedback here but knowing how, uh, passionate some people are about LET I kinda have to wonder if it's the wisest choice to leave a major decision like this to a poll where you can click "submit another response" and vote as many times as you want. It'd be nice if the honor system were enough here, but, well...

Thanked by 1jar
  • I think yes just because it gives members more of a choice demands on LET go up and up but the price doesn't, some members don;t want to pay peanuts for monkeys and if the price is raised we cannot force people to pay more then what they want if a website is not competitive it just will not be used.

Thanked by 2jar Host4Go
  • No

Thanked by 2doghouch jar
  • Νο

Thanked by 1jar
  • bersybersy Member
    edited September 2016

Amitz said: Now we will get the same shitty offers as before. Just a bit more expensive... ;-)

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@starservices i understand your point but even if we providers are part of the community i dont think we can be unbiased on this matter so i will not vote.

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    Has it been a roaring success on LEB? Until you see some evidence of success, I'd say no.

More offers on LET is the wrong direction anyway, IMO.

Agreed, 100%.

• yes.

• I think there is a very rational case to at least keep pace with inflation, in REAL terms the LET caps have dropped significantly. I also disagree that all it will do is increase prices - there are plenty of plans under $7 a month to show this is bull. What it will do is allow a greater RANGE of services and plans.

Times are changing, web services are expanding, storage and services are moving to distributed clusters, it would be nice to see soem of these come witrhin LET range, along with some more dedicated resource VMs. It would also be nice to see more geographical diversity, which is hampered by the curren cap.

Alternately perhaps additional caps could be introduced for cluster (cloud) hosting, cloud VMs and dedicated resource VMs? AFAIK these things werent round when the caps were introiduced (at leats not widescale). And poissibly a percent increased cap for 'exotic' locations, so there is more inducement for sellers in places like singapore, japan, eastern eu, south america etc where there is no reasonable way they can compete on the low end cap? Another option may be to allow offers to go x% over the cap as long as at least 50/75% of offers are under it?

I cannot see how more can possibly be less, more QUALITY offers will benefit us all, and a little more money should make for more quality. If people dont want more unviable deals and summerhosts - they shouldnt be looking to less offers, they should be looking to sustainable plans.

• @bersy said:

Amitz said: Now we will get the same shitty offers as before. Just a bit more expensive... ;-)

Damn. I knew someone would hold this against me!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

@Dylan said:

jarland said: This is your decision as members of this community. If you say yes, we do it. If you say no, we don't. Plain and simple.

I'm really glad you're soliciting member feedback here but knowing how, uh, passionate some people are about LET I kinda have to wonder if it's the wisest choice to leave a major decision like this to a poll where you can click "submit another response" and vote as many times as you want. It'd be nice if the honor system were enough here, but, well...

Oops. I don't think there were enough votes to not even themselves out over say...the next week, at least (if feelings differ from current results). Thanks for catching that.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2016

There goes all my $7 dedicated server jokes :(

Please don't change it; LEB is a dump anyway, and like @Lee said, has "undesirable" content)

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • Please no

• I didn't feel that it was a good move for LEB, and I don't think that it will be a good move for LET. Please don't make the change.

• Currently, the LEB pricing seems way too convoluted.

The new pricing creates several new categories and sub-categories (why is reseller hosting a separate thing?), it also removes any yearly pricing limits on shared hosting/vpsses, which was used by many hosts to overcome paypal fees on monthly payments.

Furthermore, there is NO guarantee on any of the "managed" hosting providers about the amount of "managing" that will take place (reinstall OS? Setup ssh? Install webserver? Upload website? configure website to use installed mysql server? Optimize mysql tables? Optimize mysql queries? Write some new mysql queries? Write website from scratch? Think of and set up an entire business around a single server? Where will you draw the line in this?)

And at 150usd/month it's very expensive to "try out" how much managing a provider will do for you.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited September 2016

teamacc said: Write some new mysql queries? Write website from scratch?

I wouldn't think that falls under server management anyway?

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited September 2016

@seriesn said:

Then where exactly would you put the limit? At updating installed apps (apt-get upgrade)? At upgrading the wordpress installation to version x+1? At debugging why a plugin won't work with the updated wordpress version?

All I'm saying is that there is no clear indication of what "managed" means.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited September 2016

Pretty sure managed means managing your server to work with what you want it to work with. Not managing your apps or sites.

Unless someone specially says managed wp hosting or similar.

@teamacc said:

@seriesn said:

Then where exactly would you put the limit? At updating installed apps (apt-get upgrade)? At upgrading the wordpress installation to version x+1? At debugging why a plugin won't work with the updated wordpress version?

• @teamacc said:

Ss
    Industry standard terminology is usually initial setup and management upto and including the OS. Beyond that you're on your own, and additional help falls in Professional Services.

There's not enough people offering management to define an LE* standard, so I'd say the industry standard should prevail.

Of course, without a definition per offer, that's going to go hilariously wrong at some point.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • Idea: no offers on LET for 2 months, increase offer frequency on LEB for that period. Deal?

Thanked by 1trewq
  • @Jarland

This is your decision as members of this community. If you say yes, we do it. If you say no, we don't. Plain and simple.

So where was the choice for the LEB decision. Not having a go but doesn't seem right

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    So where was the choice for the LEB decision. Not having a go but doesn't seem right

LEB isn't a community. LET is.

Thanked by 2seriesn mycosys
  • LEB is a blog, LET is a community. Give jar a break.

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    @Jarland

This is your decision as members of this community. If you say yes, we do it. If you say no, we don't. Plain and simple.