Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GeoDNS - geoscaling.com?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GeoDNS - geoscaling.com?

Trying to figure out a config for viewers at what are effectively the ends of the internet earth - northern europe and Aus/PACific. Was figuring Australian server can serve APAC with relatively little TTFB and Romanian (and potentially french) server for EU - maybe add SG if needed, bvut the missing piece is DNS - the cost of most coommercial services would generally be better spent elsewhere, and there seems to bve nothign between $30 a mointh and free.

geoscaling.com seems to be a really interesting free option, has anyone tried, how reliable (data not uptime) wise are they?

Any other suggestions (other than dont bother, just use a CDN to break ssl origin authentication)

Comments

• I used DNS Made Easy a while back to serve files(Counter Strike 1.6 resources) over multiple servers.

• @yashmaudhoo said:
    I used DNS Made Easy a while back to serve files(Counter Strike 1.6 resources) over multiple servers.

Global Traffic Director can be added for just $660.00 per domain per year.

A little out of low end im afraid XD

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Amazon route 53 . They are low priced and will suit your needs

• @cfgguy said:

"$50.00 per policy record / month"
    Doesnt seem all that low priced?

@mycosys said:

@cfgguy said:

Geo DNS Queries
    $0.700 per million queries – first 1 Billion queries / month
    $0.350 per million queries – over 1 Billion queries / month

• @cfgguy said:

@mycosys said:

@cfgguy said:

Geo DNS Queries
    $0.700 per million queries – first 1 Billion queries / month
    $0.350 per million queries – over 1 Billion queries / month

So are you trying to say that the geoDNS location policy is implimented without a policy record?

Yes thats right

Thanked by 1mycosys
  • @cfgguy said:
    Yes thats right

So the total cost/m would be USD$0.7 + 50c per domain for up to 1x10e9 queries??? seriously?

Very interesting, though i am still intreagues by geoscaling (i have a thing for non coprorate implimentations, and a bit of a bias against multinational tax cheats)

• mycosys said: "$50.00 per policy record / month" Doesnt seem all that low priced?

policy records are optional and not required to use AWS Route53 geodns records. I use Route53 for geodns

Thanked by 1mycosys
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

ns1.com is pretty good and they have a free package upto 500k queries.

• Beware that once you go past the 500k on NS1 it's $10/million... and the next package up is expensive too.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Ekhmmmm

• @mycosys said:
    geoscaling.com seems to be a really interesting free option, has anyone tried, how reliable (data not uptime) wise are they?

I was using it years ago. It was good and the owner was really trying to provide a good service. Then the DDOSs came. At some point, they were going to be shutting it down if I recall correctly - surprised it's still active, but good to hear it's alive!

Thanked by 2Domaniak mycosys