Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Reviews on a specific product
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Reviews on a specific product

PirateHitmanPirateHitman Member
edited September 2016 in Reviews

Hello,

I have looked around but couldn't find any reviews on a specific OVH product so was going to ask here.. Anyone have the FS-30T?

If they do, how is the performance? How is the speed of the disks? Does the lightweight processor hold you back from anything? Anything of concern?

How is support from OVH generally?

Comments

• People usually tell they are bad (in general). But if that's true I don't know how some resellers can offer really good services.

I hope I can give it a try soon.

• what use case do you have for a file server on gbit where the processor would actually hold it back

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@imok said:
    People usually tell they are bad (in general). But if that's true I don't know how some resellers can offer really good services.

They do?

• I love OVH but everything I use them for is non-production, personal projects and I'm very good at fine-tuning software to match hardware

• +1 but .. OVH support response 1 - 2 days IF you're lucky so don't use for critical applications or make sure you have a plan B if it all goes pear shaped ;)

• I had it, I didn't like it, I switched to this: https://www.hetzner.de/us/hosting/produkte_rootserver/sx131

• @imok said:
    People usually tell they are bad (in general). But if that's true I don't know how some resellers can offer really good services.

Bad why?

@texteditor said:
    what use case do you have for a file server on gbit where the processor would actually hold it back

Personal purposes, webserver / plex / occasional torrent downloads. Might use this box for ESXi though and make some virtuals for small projects I guess.

@texteditor said:
    I love OVH but everything I use them for is non-production, personal projects and I'm very good at fine-tuning software to match hardware

Is that due to reliability?

@Hadriel said:
    I had it, I didn't like it, I switched to this: https://www.hetzner.de/us/hosting/produkte_rootserver/sx131

Why is that? Processor?

https://www.hetzner.de/us/hosting/produkte_rootserver/sx61

I was looking at that at one point, the 3gb/s hard drives put me off... Is that true? It does use sata 6gbs? Does that affect you?

• PirateHitman said: Personal purposes, webserver / plex / occasional torrent downloads. Might use this box for ESXi though and make some virtuals for small projects I guess.

that processor is overkill for all these purposes

PirateHitman said: Is that due to reliability?

No it's because I don't run any businesses and everything I do on the internet is pretty inconsequential

• @PirateHitman said:

Why is that? Processor?

I was looking at that at one point, the 3gb/s hard drives put me off... Is that true? It does use sata 6gbs? Does that affect you?

OVH was slow to replace a bad disk. As you can imagine if you have large quantities of storage being used slow disk replacement sucks. Hetzner was much faster.

For 30 euros more per month I get a much better processor, double the RAM, and double the disk. I have not noticed any problems with the drives for my use. Its one giant Plex server. I can have more transcodes running on the hetzner box.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I've had the 72T from them, it was easier to setup and manage than the ST12 from Online.

• @Hadriel said:

@PirateHitman said:

Why is that? Processor?

OVH was slow to replace a bad disk. As you can imagine if you have large quantities of storage being used slow disk replacement sucks. Hetzner was much faster.

For 30 euros more per month I get a much better processor, double the RAM, and double the disk. I have not noticed any problems with the drives for my use. Its one giant Plex server. I can have more transcodes running on the hetzner box.

I agree with you but it's way way out of my budget right now, I hardly transcode but when I have clients that do it's normally all at once and the box at Online.net right now can just about handle it.

@pbgben said:
    I've had the 72T from them, it was easier to setup and manage than the ST12 from Online.

That media server link you have in your sig, where's that from? and how much?

I typically need a massive Plex server, with adequate bandwidth to also hold a webserver up hosting about 5 sites.

• If an extra 30 euros is way out of your budget compared to the 30T, stick with Online.net.

• @Hadriel said:
    If an extra 30 euros is way out of your budget compared to the 30T, stick with Online.net.

I would but I need space, not sure what else to go for. I don't have any way to expand other than getting them SAN's from online.net.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@PirateHitman said:

@Hadriel said:

@PirateHitman said:

Why is that? Processor?

I agree with you but it's way way out of my budget right now, I hardly transcode but when I have clients that do it's normally all at once and the box at Online.net right now can just about handle it.

@pbgben said:

That media server link you have in your sig, where's that from? and how much?

I typically need a massive Plex server, with adequate bandwidth to also hold a webserver up hosting about 5 sites.

Its the mWOPR from online.net

• I have now 1 server from OVH for 2 month and seems like all is okay , but support is not really fast , but just okay. Also I'am wait for my new server after registration not 120 sec - it was about 36 hours.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited October 2016

I used the FS30T extensively before with one of my previous projects and overall the drive performance pretty well sucked. I used the server to handle numerous Linux mirrors as well as torrent mirrors among other things..even with the drive in RAID 0 they were still sluggish. I reloaded and reconfigured the server many times before I just ended up/gave up with Proxmox in RAID 5.

As to OVH, I use them extensively for production projects and services. Prior to them opening BHS I never had a "good" support experience, but once BHS opened their support it damn near top notch. Granted, if you want real support you have to pick up the phone and call, but when I call (day or middle of the night) I am able to speak with someone who speaks fluent English and typically gets the issue resolved reasonably quick.

The last server I purchased I had all sorts of issues getting into the bios via IPMI. After an hour+ playing with it I gave up and called. Within another hour the mobo was completely replaced and I was good to go.

When you call they will typically verify the issue and then open an intervention for you which automatically schedules a tech to handle the problem you are facing.

As to drive replacements, they have been smooth as well. I actually had an entire SSD array replaced a couple months ago (4x 800GB SSD's) as one of the drives was showing a sign of possible failure. As the other disk's had high usage stats they offered to replace them all for me if I desired. I backed up my data and called to kick off the intervention.

Maybe working with their staff in France is the reason for the complaints? As I have a US account I always call their BHS number even if the server in is in France, never had an issue getting help when calling - Support tickets, they might as well remove that from their panel as you likely won't get a response before hell freezes over, that I do agree with.

• AdvicerxyzAdvicerxyz Member
    edited October 2016

ive used ovh for over a year, alot of people saying they have problem with their support, well in tickets they not really helpful, but in phone use they pretty helpful and nice,
    1 year - 3 downtimes, one for replacing cooling systems in the whole rack - downtime for 30 minutes around 3am so its fine,
    one stick of ram that been dead - 25 minutes replaced
    network issue - two hours to fix the rack
    but they rock solid using good hardware, ddos protection are good from alot of ddos protection providers, but not the top of them.
    you need to know their support only about hardware, not software, but upon request when there is a problem with the server they may run the test for you * they take you server to rescue mode and run tests for few hours
    overall rating for mine they rock solid provider, in budget price.
    ip range are pretty cheap, ive used them for major working and worked just fine