Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neon Server Control Panel For Websites & Administrators - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Neon Server Control Panel For Websites & Administrators

Comments

• twaintwain Member
    edited December 2012

This sounds great. Not sure why there is all this negativity in this thread from some people, when we finally might get a decent open source cp that might actually rival cpanel. And @Patrick i think you meant ambitious, not ambiguous. However, completely agree w/ @ElliotJ - the project certainly warrants 10k if not more, and I wouldn't be surprised if it achieves it. And @GIANT-CRAB - you are predicting php exploits for without any evidence? Seems like @joepie's mission in life is to maintain secure and exploit-free code, so why the hell would you say such a ridiculous thing?

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited December 2012

@Ishaq said: We didn't ask you to be here in the first place.

I like to be where I want to be.

@twain said: This sounds great.

All kick starter projects sounds great.

@twain said: decent open source cp that might actually rival cpanel.

So you think a clone of zPanel can rival cPanel?

@twain said: And @GIANT-CRAB - you are predicting php exploits for without any evidence?

Are there no exploits in PHP, ever?

@twain said: so why the hell would you say such a ridiculous thing?

Because shit happens, even companies like vB, IPB, their products get exploited, and how many PHP developers do they have? Those PHP developers are legitimate ones who actually have legit training from professionals.

I'm merely stating facts and people are already butt angry.

@eastonch is another sane guy here.

• @gubbyte said: Sorry, but how does employment work in conjunction with developing open source software? lol...

Opportunity cost.

They're spending time on open source software, when they could be doing something else (i.e. making money)

• The amount of idiocy in this thread is over the roof, derp.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited December 2012

@GIANT_CRAB said: I like to be where I want to be.

To be honest, if you're "outta here" why are you still posting?

• @Ishaq said: To be honest, if you're "outta here" why are you still posting?

I can always come back.

@Zen said: they're demanding XX donations for a completed project that will be open source, then they're expecting even more for basic modifications (alt OS support) on an open source product

And that makes this a scam.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited December 2012

http://github.com/bluevm/neon

I think it should have been in control of @joepie91 though, he never goes for the money or something, he will always stay loyal to his projects and promises.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

I have absolutely no desire to end up in the middle of a flamewar here, so I'm not going to respond to any of the posts here directly, and will just state a few things:

• @BlueVM has been working on Neon for quite a while now, and so far has a record of sticking to his promises (in general, not just for Neon). I have no reason to assume that Neon will be abandoned halfway through.
    • There's a typo in the Kickstarter: I do Python, not Perl.
    • I have always been a pain in the ass about the security for pretty much anything, and will continue to do so here.
    • In case anyone is wondering what's happened to CVM, a first release of CVM is very close, and that first release gets priority for now. I haven't abandoned it :)
    • Neon is not a "clone of zPanel" - it does not share any of the codebase as far as I am aware.
    • Writing a panel and then selling licenses would defeat the point of free/open-source. Not sure how such a suggestion is even relevant here.
    • The quality/cleanliness of the code that @BlueVM posted here in the past (like the uptime script) is not representative for the Neon code. @BlueVM has gotten much better at this lately. I recommend having a look at the actual GitHub repository to get a more accurate idea. And yes, I'll probably obsessively run through the code and make sure everything is neat and organized before release.
    • I have had no involvement in setting the "funding bonuses", and I'll discuss these with @BlueVM to get a bit more clarity as well - but realize that something like "supporting a different distro" isn't just a matter of changing a filename. There are a lot of differences across distributions, differences that you will encounter especially when writing a panel that is going to control multiple third-party services (HTTPd, MySQLd, etc.).
  • Before I consider help funding, why do you need the funding? If its going to be free/open source, then you shouldn't require any funding.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2012

I just wrote on #frantech:

I do not think the $10k is too much for 3 people trying to focus on a project.
      Food doesn't come by itself to the fridge.
      $10k would only cover my personal needs for 2-3 months.
      Just saying. No pun intended.

But maybe LET is the wrong place for anything above USD $7... ;)

• @Amitz said: I just wrote on #frantech:

This is an open source project. The developer(s) aren't expected to be committed to the project full-time.

• gameongameon Member
    edited December 2012

@curtisg said: Before I consider help funding, why do you need the funding? If its going to be free/open source, then you shouldn't require any funding.

@curtisg here's your answer >

@jan said: "we're requesting funding to speed up the pace for our development by allowing us to spend more of our personal time in developing neon".

AND if you haven;t noticed yet , they are not Robots to live without food/water/social life and contribute 24/7 to developing opensource soft

@curtisg said: If its going to be free/open source, then you shouldn't require any funding.

Mind explaining that logic?

@gameon said: they are not Robots to live without food/water/social life and contribute 24/7 to developing opensource soft

Well... >.>

• @AnthonySmith said: Its great, I like to see developments like this.

Some people just HATE the idea of people not working for free or even cost as seen by the kiddie fit above and probably have no idea what time is worth.

Agreed with this. FLOSS code is good, but it doesn't pay very well. Guess why I develop in my free time, and have a full time job ass a nurse...

@Raymii said: ass a nurse

You're making some interesting typos lately ;)

• @curtisg - We're asking for the funding to speed up our development. Instead of working on it part time we want to be able to focus on it and that's what this kickstarter is about. We're asking the community to chip in $5 towards building something faster. If the kickstarter fails we will continue to work on it, just at a much slower pace.

In engineering there's a phrase: better, faster, cheaper -- you only get two. It applies really well in the case of neon. We can build it better and cheaper, but it will take a while (Estimated: 1.5 years at current pace). We're against building it faster and cheaper because that just creates a crappy control panel. The only option left is to build it better and faster, but to do that we need some money, not a whole lot, but some. Sure we could pay wall it and sell it that way, heck even direct admin sells and it's not exactly "good", but we wanted to do something good for the community.

Most of the funds are going to be going into joepie91's payroll which helps pay his bills and keep him fed. I won't be making anything on this project at least not from the kickstarter. If there was demand for it I would put up an expense log as we go along.

@gubbyte - See my above comment.

Finally the bonuses you see listed there were suggested by kickstarter. They stated that putting forth bonuses to the community was a good show of faith in the project. The bonuses listed there are intended for launch day if the goals are met. So as opposed to waiting for us to code them up later they would be part of the final product.

• @joepie91 said: You're making some interesting typos lately ;)

What do you mean?

• @BlueVM you'd be smarter hiring freelance developers for the job with the money.

• @curtisg said: @BlueVM you'd be smarter hiring freelance developers for the job with the money.

how is that any different from giving the money to joepie? wouldn't giving money to joepie make more sense as we /know/ him over some random indian/russian dude?

• @fly said: how is that any different from giving the money to joepie? wouldn't giving money to joepie make more sense as we /know/ him over some random indian/russian dude?

More then 1 person developing makes it go faster.

• @curtisg said: More then 1 person developing makes it go faster.

No, our team are nearly finished. It's not only joepie.

• @fly, @curtsig - Joepie91 isn't the only one coding it... If we hired someone else to do it they wouldn't have the passion or the desire to see it through that we do. We work in the industry, we know how software should work for clients. Some random group of people will be in it only for the paycheck meanwhile we've been coding it for some time. What freelance group is going to code up 10 - 15% of the entire project just to see if they can get enough money together to continue working on it? That doesn't even begin to factor in code quality or readability, design, maintenance or any of the other problems posed with paying a random group of people to come up with code.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2012

Nearly finished? then what is the $10K USD for?

I don't really see how this panel can justify the mentioned amounts, it's just not going to happen. And really I would prefer to use cPanel nothing personal against @joepie91. I think it would make more sense putting everyone onboard for the development on the VPS Panel rather than a substitute for cPanel.

@Ishaq said: No, our team are nearly finished. It's not only joepie.

@Jacob said: It's just not going to happen

What isn't?

@Jacob said: and really I would prefer to use cPanel

And you make this decision without ever having tried the software you're talking about?

@Jacob said: I think it would make more sense continuing development on the VPS Panel

As I already said, CVM development is ongoing.

• mojedamojeda Member
    edited December 2012

Since people are having a hard time understanding what they are asking money for, although answered multiple times in the thread already.

They need funding to help speed up the process.

@BlueVM goodluck!

• @Jacob - We're still developing cvm, cvm is nearly finished... we're putting the finishing touches mostly in the networking/setup and then it will be ready for use.

Neon is a separate project (see the kickstarter) and we're asking for backing to ramp up our efforts to develop it. While I realize $10,000 isn't a drop in the bucket we aren't asking for just 1 person's contribution... we're asking for less than 2,000 people on the surface of the earth to say "yes I'd like to see neon finished in 6 months" to contribute just $5, less than the price of a coffee, to support our work. We aren't doing this to make money we're doing this to speed up development by allowing us to focus on Neon.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Gosh I wish there would be CENTOS support, I'm fearing against the recent security issues with Kloxo, this would be an exellent alternative for sure. I'll still pledge something. I wish you guys good luck on development of this @BlueVM

• @risharde - Even if we don't meet the goal to get centos support in the initial release we will eventually release it. It's just a matter of if it'll be on launch day or if it will be a few months down the road.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Shameless Bump

• @AnthonySmith said: Shameless Bump

That's your second shameless bump :P