Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your raspberry pi use? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your raspberry pi use?

Comments

• @OpticalSwoosh said:
    I've given one away to a member on here and have 4 left haha

Give one away to me kind gentleman :D

• This is like people who collect VPS. If you don't have a use for it, why are you buying one?

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited September 2016

I use mine as a openvpn with dnsmasq + an adblock list (similar to pi hole, but configured by hand) mainly for my phone/tablet and to stream my ip tv app channels when I'm abroad.

• @chinmoy said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    I've given one away to a member on here and have 4 left haha

Give one away to me kind gentleman :D

I've given them all away :(

• I've got my original RPi Model B acting as a NAS (USB SATA dock with a pair of 3TB drives in RAID1). It also runs a torrent client, webserver, and samba server.

• @rajprakash

How are the IO speeds with the NAS?

The only good solution is to get an externally powered HDD, since the pi won't emit enough power.

• FlamesRunner said: How are the IO speeds with the NAS?

I ran a few throughput tests a long while back but can't remember the numbers. I'll try to push some large files around this wknd and get back to ya.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • FlamesRunner said: How are the IO speeds with the NAS?

The only good solution is to get an externally powered HDD, since the pi won't emit enough power.

For me, it was about 1~3Mbps (NTFS) and around 8 with ext 4

• @sdglhm said:

FlamesRunner said: How are the IO speeds with the NAS?

For me, it was about 1~3Mbps (NTFS) and around 8 with ext 4

That's horrifically slow... my physical server provides ~100mb/s off a few drives on a software RAID0.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've got WHMCS and Solus on my pi, and will be posting offers as soon as I find a ThemeForest template I like...

• @raindog308 said:
    I've got WHMCS and Solus on my pi, and will be posting offers as soon as I find a ThemeForest template I like...

Are you running a cluster setup or just one pi.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2016

EDIT: I realize that I just ruined a perfectly good joke

• doghouch said: It was a summer-host joke

>

I'm aware.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Landofnone said:

@raindog308 said:

Are you running a cluster setup or just one pi.

Good one!

Landofnone said: Are you running a cluster setup or just one pi.

I'm partitioning the pi, and then clustering it internally for high availability.

Thanked by 2yomero ATHK
  • it tend to be a dev for home automation, but my coding sucks.

• doghouch said: That's horrifically slow... my physical server provides ~100mb/s off a few drives on a software RAID0

Oops. That should be MBps not Mbps. My bad

• I use it as local webserver

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR
    edited September 2016

I have 2 of them at each colo location: One as Out-Of-Band Serialserver (cable to core router), one as VPN server.

• I have mine set as a wireless access point to my openvpn.

• @raindog308 said:

Landofnone said: Are you running a cluster setup or just one pi.

I'm partitioning the pi, and then clustering it internally for high availability.

High availability? Use Delimiwho's block storage.

I was thinking of velcroing mine to the back of a flag panel monitor and putting it on the wall, then having it stream news, data, family photos, etc. Just setting it up in the kitchen as a sort of family display area. At night, just power off the monitor if you want.

These any many other grand ideas have not gotten further than my posting them on LET.

• @raindog308 said:
    I was thinking of velcroing mine to the back of a flag panel monitor and putting it on the wall, then having it stream news, data, family photos, etc. Just setting it up in the kitchen as a sort of family display area. At night, just power off the monitor if you want.

These any many other grand ideas have not gotten further than my posting them on LET.

Valuable thoughts.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited September 2016

@raindog308 said:

I've kind of always wanted to do this it's seems like a fun little project.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@ATHK said:

@raindog308 said:

I've kind of always wanted to do this it's seems like a fun little project.

Me too. I've actually started collecting parts because it was the first time my partner has shown interest in electronics.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @raindog308 said:

We'd make a great team. I also have many terrific ideas, but I don't even bother posting them. Here's one somewhat related to the RPi that I'll make an exception for:

I want to create an autonomous server. By that I mean a distribution or package that creates a system that has no direct means for administration, but allows access to services based on some value associated with its actions (e.g., it is tied to a bank/PayPal/Bitcoin account). So if you want to host a web site, the server itself sets the price for you, and it also handles paying its own upstream costs.

It's "the cloud" infrastructure taken to the next level. You just start plugging in new machines and they all reconfigure themselves to best provide the services that allow for the most profit. No humans required (or at least many fewer). Presumably this is how the data centers of the world's Googles and Amazons function, but I've gotten nobody interested in hiring me to make it happen for everyone else.

• CCTV controller and Aircraft Radar are the current ones running might try some of the cool things others have put in here

Thanked by 1vimalware

raindog308 said: I was thinking of velcroing mine to the back of a flag panel monitor and putting it on the wall, then having it stream news, data, family photos, etc. Just setting it up in the kitchen as a sort of family display area. At night, just power off the monitor if you want.

Bereft of other ideas for my wife's Christmas present, I've started this project. Pi 3 is inbound...need to find a monitor.

Goal is a display that has various sections (kind of like the Win 8/10 Metro screen) displaying various things continuously:

• family photos
    • reminders of upcoming events
    • the weather
    • sports scores
    • top rated drama threads on LET
    • blah blah whatever other cool APIs I can scrape

I've seen various RPi digital photo frame projects, so I don't think this will actually be huge work. I haven't looked at touchscreen but this may be "view only" given that with the pi, power, SD card, etc I'm at $50 and a monitor is going to be another $100-150 or more.

• i have 3, two for plane radar and one for retropi but cant make games work, damn.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

We have on in the office that is running a python script to make beep noises when prtg throws an alarm :P

Thanked by 1dedicados