Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neon Server Control Panel For Websites & Administrators
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Neon Server Control Panel For Websites & Administrators

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited December 2012 in General

Neon is a primarily PHP based control panel for website and server management. It has been built for Debian (Linux) and is designed from the ground up to be fast and easy to use. Neon, unlike any other control panel on the market will officially support nginx which means websites using it will load faster and be more stable.

Neon is seeking funding via Kick Starter to continue and speed up development. Neon will be released via git hub and will be open source and backed and built by BlueVM Communications.

URL To Kick Starter: http://goo.gl/ifFFJ

Comments

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited December 2012

We have the combined experience of over 25 years in programming and Linux based server administration.

Lol'd

Well, I have seen PHP snippets from @BlueVM and they were horrible... And no, you're not the only one to support nginx, there's even a plugin for cPanel.
    Saw that @joepie91 was in, so I guess I can trust the final product as in quality but especially security :-)

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited December 2012

@BronzeByte - I'll admit I throw out some "fast & dirty" php from time to time, but joepie91 will keep me in line or he'll behead me, finish the project himself and release everything open source XD

Also it's "officially support nginx", the cpanel plugin is created by a third party with no backing from cpanel.

• I've been looking at the project and have been following it since its been going on. Personally I find the team quite capable of getting this done and I do see them getting a ton accomplished with it.

• Looking at the video it seems like some progress has already been made :-)
    If you want a lot of donations, advertise it on WHT as "Free open-source alternative to cPanel".

@bluevm

All the cool stuff is made by third parties :P

• It looks very promising. I will have to keep my eye on this thread.

• Why not going with well-known, fully audited framework like Symfony2 or Zend instead of CPHP?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

CPHP is a framework that is Easy to Learn and focuses on Security.

http://git.cryto.net/cgit/cphp/

Also @joepie91 developed it (so he obviously knows his way around it).

Also I personally hate Zend framework with a passion.

• @haphan - HalfEatenPie pretty much summed it up... None of the frameworks we used before were "all-in-ones" they missed some feature that could be "hacked into place" but wasn't in the default build. Build it all yourself and you end up with a framework that is best suited for your programming style.

CPHP comes with a built in template engine (something IIRC zend does not have) as well as pretty dump, it's own mysql classing and hundreds of other features.

• @BlueVM I like how you had to search for screen recorder :P

• Just pledged $30, Goodluck with it:)

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited December 2012

@MrObvious - I rarely use a screen recorder, but when I do I use screen-o-matic.

@rolz14 - Thank you we appreciate your support.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited December 2012

@BlueVM said: Neon will be released via git hub and will be open source and backed and built by BlueVM Communications.

You want $10,000.

Seriously, why the hell would you need $10,000?

• @GIANT_CRAB said: Seriously, why the hell would you need $10,000?

The answer is in the introductory video at Kickstarter at 01m:33s: "we're requesting funding to speed up the pace for our development by allowing us to spend more of our personal time in developing neon".

Just made a small pledge as a thumbs up. :) Good luck!

• Use Laravel, then you actually can "speed up the pace for our development"

edited December 2012

@jan said: The answer is in the introductory video at Kickstarter at 01m:33s: "we're requesting funding to speed up the pace for our development by allowing us to spend more of our personal time in developing neon".

They are using another person's framework (cphp) and demanding the money to all go to them.

JIDF detected.

Also, only supporting other OS at $40,000 donations!

This kickstarter is a pretty good scam!
    Next zPanel?

• @GIANT_CRAB

@joepie91 made CPHP and he is in the pledge too

@bluevm

You don't need money to replace your time with what you would normally do like go to a bar. You could maybe hire somebody to run your business while you work. But I don't see why you would need $10k, I doubt you're going to hire anybody and if you need money to make some time then you perhaps shouldn't be in that project but somebody with more motivation...

• @BronzeByte said: But I don't see why you would need $10k

They're spending time on Neon, where they could be spending more time on their jobs, basically.
    When you factor in that they're splitting the budget three ways, it's not a huge amount when you consider they don't want to starve and/or be homeless.

Best of luck guys, bookmarked!

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited December 2012

To be honest you'll be lucky to reach $1k, $10k for such project is ambitious.

Good luck nevertheless.

• PHP

sigh

• @ElliotJ

That is enough money to hire somebody. But if you want a free open source project then don't see it as a job to make a quick buck. Also, if they promoted their git more I'm sure people will help developing parts. @bluevm has a business where he can get money from @joepie91 doesn't, he is the only person who could possible NEED the money to live

edited December 2012

Count the number of PHP exploits and you will sigh even louder.

• @GIANT_CRAB said: Count the number of PHP exploits and you will sigh even louder.

We didn't ask you to be here in the first place.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Its great, I like to see developments like this.

Some people just HATE the idea of people not working for free or even cost as seen by the kiddie fit above and probably have no idea what time is worth.

I hope CVM merges with it at some stage an AIO would be great.

• @AnthonySmith said: I hope CVM merges with it at some stage an AIO would be great.

Same developers, testers, designers, and hosting. We could do that.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Ishaq I was involved with CVM at its inception and still provide one of the servers for it :)

• @BronzeByte said: That is enough money to hire somebody. But if you want a free open source project then don't see it as a job to make a quick buck. Also, if they promoted their git more I'm sure people will help developing parts. @bluevm has a business where he can get money from @joepie91 doesn't, he is the only person who could possible NEED the money to live

A one off contribution of $3.3K per developer is pretty damn cheap for a project of this size, and the time it'll take to release.
    Taking the average wage in the USA ($42,979.61 - Source) it's evident that the amount they're asking is, in all honestly, quite low.

The issue is that they're promoting this on LET - Famous for the $7 or less mentality. $10,000 is a quite a few $7s.
    Hopefully this will gain traction on WHT and elsewhere, where there's a higher number of people who will be willing to pledge, and a higher number of people who will be willing to pledge larger amounts.

As it'll be open source, I agree, people will hopefully help develop Neon, however there needs to be a base to start on.

• @ElliotJ

The idea of open source is that everybody can contribute. And homestly, I think @joepie91 will be doing most of the work...

• Sorry, but how does employment work in conjunction with developing open source software? lol...

• I still don't understand why it needs 10K? What, you're going to PAY devs to make this? Why not just make it yourself in a group? Then sell it on on licenses at $10/pop? 100 sales? there's 1K. 1000 Sales? There's your 10K.

Only adding OS support and stuff for 50K? Rediculous.