Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSailor Threatens to Sue KrebsOnSecurity for reporting on abuse on HostSailor's Network - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSailor Threatens to Sue KrebsOnSecurity for reporting on abuse on HostSailor's Network

2»

Comments

• i can tell you that i hate this abuse reporting policy. i report abuse to a lot of north american and uk hosts and so many of them do that. its a shit way to handle it. in 99.9% of cases that I report they could look at the traffic for as long as it takes to forward the email and they would know the user is a lowlife and cancel them.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

If this goes to Court then Hostsailor is going to have to answer a ton of questions they really don't want to be asked. Dotcom comes to mind here.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@ATHK said:

@iwaswrongonce said:
    IANAL

Is that a new Apple product?

I hate Apple but I'd buy that!

Thanked by 2netomx Amitz
  • ATHKATHK Member
    edited September 2016

@shovenose said:

@ATHK said:

@iwaswrongonce said:
    IANAL

Is that a new Apple product?

I hate Apple but I'd buy that!

I'm sure you would, you dirty git. ;)

Thanked by 1shovenose
  • @doughmanes said:
    Krebs sells book. Shows his motives.

whereas hostsailor sells bulletproof hosting - shows their motives

Thanked by 1switsys
  • texteditor said: whereas hostsailor sells bulletproof hosting - shows their motives

A claim with minimal evidence. You'd expect something better from a guy who claims he's a journalist. It looks like a LET style airing out of assumptions.

• So this is what discussion at a non-ABA accredited law school sounds like.

I had an answer typed up but because it's a muddled mess I'll just leave it at this:

a) I don't know jack shit about UAE's laws

b) Good luck to them enforcing anything on a US subject writing in the US with the most significant contact in the US in a country where even with a treaty extradition over CRIMINAL cases are comparatively rare and enforcing a non-OFAC related civil judgment is essentially throwing money at the lawyers.

I want to work for that firm. This is free money.

c) Not legal advice and I can totally be wrong.

• Never heard of either :/

• lbft said: It's hilarious to me how eager LET is to take the side of a shithost over a respected journalist.

Well, he has some... weird views, nothing too nefarious but some make not much sense in many ways.

loot said: I want to work for that firm. This is free money.

A US case involving freedom of speech... even if not ran by an Arab based country (which at this time is.... bad, especially in a jury) pretty pointless.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

lbft said: It's hilarious to me how eager LET is to take the side of a shithost over a respected journalist.

One is a member here, one isn't.

• Krebs has brought quite a few businesses down, I've happy to see HostSailor fighting back on the bs.

• I mean look at him pushing books and traffic to his site then Akamai/Prolexic pulls the plug on him, he's looking to find somebody to host him for free versus pay out of his own pocket. I like Krebs on some stuff but when he turns into trying to make the story ("attention whore") versus report the story ("journalist") is when I start to question the guy.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • sinsin Member
    edited September 2016

doughmanes said: he's looking to find somebody to host him for free versus pay out of his own pocket

I agree with you on him acting sorta like an attention whore. I enjoy reading his blog and articles but sometimes he seems to act like the people he blogs about.

Those protection companies are usually the ones to send him offers themselves though (like Cloudflare which has offered to protect him numerous times including during this latest attack).

• Yeah I saw the Cloudflare tweets

• @doughmanes said:
    he's looking to find somebody to host him for free versus pay out of his own pocket.

Even with all of the books and ads - do you truly think he can afford the $150-200,000 per year he states the commercial Akamai product would cost?

• He has to do something otherwise he can be perceived as biased by accepting free hosting. Google Shield is probably the best bet for him which I'm surprised he passed the news/journalist requirement when he sells books.

• He's also a journalist and news reporter. Plenty of people in both of those careers write and sell books.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul sin
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

@daily said:
    He's also a journalist and news reporter. Plenty of people in both of those careers write and sell books.

It's jealousy. Not a single person who would give him shit over it would do anything significantly different if they found themselves in the same situation. They'd just do it their way and be called the same names by another group of people. We should just be happy that a highly respected blogger on security actually understands how the internet works. So often the "well respected authority" on matters is a complete idiot with a daytime talk show and a Wikipedia degree.

Like any other outspoken person some people agree with him and some don't. Maybe some agree with him on some things and not others. That's literally just being human. No one can please everyone.

• It's not a freedom of speech case, not in the traditional first amendment sense anyway, it's a business tort case, although really it's a hurt feelings case, which are hilarious to begin with but when a company essentially sends a demand letter with no appropriate venue or cause of action except what amounts of hurt feelings you wonder if their executives are crying or is it just sand getting into their eyes.